Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 09:13 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

This seems to be very random, but I came across this from a blog entry on a local radio station website: https://www.wdkx.com/rochester-ranke...d-night-sleep/

This is the original source: https://mornings.co.uk/most-stressful-nights-sleep/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 09:39 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This seems to be very random, but I came across this from a blog entry on a local radio station website: https://www.wdkx.com/rochester-ranke...d-night-sleep/

This is the original source: https://mornings.co.uk/most-stressful-nights-sleep/

I always thought "the city that never sleeps" was a complement.

Could it mean Rochester has a higher percentage of Twitter accounts?

Maybe it's all the dirt bikes and illegal motorcycles that blast all over the city in the evening in groups of 50? The city isn't even enforcing the rules on them.

Maybe it's those who have comited crimes, and don't know when the poe poe is going to show up.

Or that they will be hit with random bullets while in bed, knowing the police aren't allowed to protect them.

Old 09-18-2021, 05:51 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Maybe it's those inconsiderate fools who think that if you have a motorcycle, it HAS to be loud enough that people can hear you coming for a mile before you get to them, then a mile after you pass them......and think that midnight is the perfect time to go for a ride.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Maybe it's those inconsiderate fools who think that if you have a motorcycle, it HAS to be loud enough that people can hear you coming for a mile before you get to them, then a mile after you pass them......and think that midnight is the perfect time to go for a ride.
I'm kinda surprised at your comment, you being an old gear head, and all. There must be some kid with a new toy in your neighborhood. I have a Harley, and it does make SOME noise, but most Harley riders just like to cruise, and being older are home way before midnight, or even before it get's dark. The crotch rockets that wind up 12,000 RPM are pretty noisy as well as dangerous as they weave in and out of traffic at waaay over the speed limit.

Old 09-19-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I'm kinda surprised at your comment, you being an old gear head, and all. There must be some kid with a new toy in your neighborhood. I have a Harley, and it does make SOME noise, but most Harley riders just like to cruise, and being older are home way before midnight, or even before it get's dark. The crotch rockets that wind up 12,000 RPM are pretty noisy as well as dangerous as they weave in and out of traffic at waaay over the speed limit.
Understand your point, but my gripe is this....my wife likes "fresh air" and whenever possible she likes to have our house windows open. It's also generally pretty quiet, in my neighborhood, especially at midnight. We live about 3 miles away from a Xerox facility, and this is the first year that they haven't been running a second shift, in a LONG time. What this has meant was that the nights when we had the windows open, and to a slightly lesser degree, with the windows closed, the "Harley parade" would start around 12:05 AM, as the 2nd shift would let out.

It didn't happen every night, but on the nights when I hadn't yet slipped into a "deep sleep", I'd hear the crew, probably 10-12 bikes, as they left the parking lot, accelerating to at least 45 MPH, the speed limit, as they headed down the road. Between my house, and the next main road, there are two traffic lights, followed by a stop sign, which means the stop then accelerate cycle was repeated three more times.

About the same distance east from my house as the Xerox building is, there's a favorite bar to the west, which some of the riders drove to. And if I was having a really bad night, trying to sleep, I'd sometimes hear the guys leaving the bar, and "going through the gears" at 2AM.........

Old 09-19-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Understand your point, but my gripe is this....my wife likes "fresh air" and whenever possible she likes to have our house windows open. It's also generally pretty quiet, in my neighborhood, especially at midnight. We live about 3 miles away from a Xerox facility, and this is the first year that they haven't been running a second shift, in a LONG time. What this has meant was that the nights when we had the windows open, and to a slightly lesser degree, with the windows closed, the "Harley parade" would start around 12:05 AM, as the 2nd shift would let out.

It didn't happen every night, but on the nights when I hadn't yet slipped into a "deep sleep", I'd hear the crew, probably 10-12 bikes, as they left the parking lot, accelerating to at least 45 MPH, the speed limit, as they headed down the road. Between my house, and the next main road, there are two traffic lights, followed by a stop sign, which means the stop then accelerate cycle was repeated three more times.

About the same distance east from my house as the Xerox building is, there's a favorite bar to the west, which some of the riders drove to. And if I was having a really bad night, trying to sleep, I'd sometimes hear the guys leaving the bar, and "going through the gears" at 2AM.........
I retired from there 3 years ago. I worked a 24/7 rotation and I can tell you there were very few people that rode there. Mostly it would be day shift, and there were maybe 6 bikes. None, or maybe occasionally 1 on any off shift. Must be a near by bar. I think a lot of bars close at midnight these days

Old 09-20-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I retired from there 3 years ago. I worked a 24/7 rotation and I can tell you there were very few people that rode there. Mostly it would be day shift, and there were maybe 6 bikes. None, or maybe occasionally 1 on any off shift. Must be a near by bar. I think a lot of bars close at midnight these days
Did Xerox end their shifts at staggered times, to eliminate a big rush to the door and exiting the parking lot? I seem to recall that I'd hear 2-3 bikes, then a couple minutes later, 2-3 more, followed by another 2-3, about 5 minutes after the first group.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Did Xerox end their shifts at staggered times, to eliminate a big rush to the door and exiting the parking lot? I seem to recall that I'd hear 2-3 bikes, then a couple minutes later, 2-3 more, followed by another 2-3, about 5 minutes after the first group.
No. There weren't enough people working off shifts to warrant staggered start/ stop signs.

As I said above, there weren't even bikes there. Having a bike myself I looked for bikes. IDK where you got this info. In my job, I had a truck and drove all over that campus. Seriously, they came from somewhere else.

When I was there, there were at least 4 separate 24/7 operations all in different buildings. Many were difficult to shut down and start up, so again, maybe some off shift manufacturing stopped, but I doubt all of it did.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
........ IDK where you got this info. In my job, I had a truck and drove all over that campus. Seriously, they came from somewhere else.

When I was there, there were at least 4 separate 24/7 operations all in different buildings. Many were difficult to shut down and start up, so again, maybe some off shift manufacturing stopped, but I doubt all of it did.
Not to be a "wise azz", but my information came from my open bedroom window....

It occurred on weekdays, between 12:05-12:15 AM, then again, on occasion, at 2AM when the bar closed. The closest "industrial business" to me is the Xerox complex, on Phillips Road, so I assumed that the people were coming from there.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Not to be a "wise azz", but my information came from my open bedroom window....

It occurred on weekdays, between 12:05-12:15 AM, then again, on occasion, at 2AM when the bar closed. The closest "industrial business" to me is the Xerox complex, on Phillips Road, so I assumed that the people were coming from there.
I'm not questioning what you're hearing, just saying it's not from Xerox. Like I said, I ride, but after a 12 hr shift I like having 4 wheels under me and entertainment to unwind on the radio.

BTW, I live in an area where there are lots of Joy Rides, cars, bikes, whatever. Also get constant jet skis and monster boats (man those 800-1400 hp twin engines are loud). I always thought it was just people out having fun in their own way. But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area