Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2023, 10:22 AM

5,688 posts, read 4,088,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

On a side note, Phillips village sounds similar to Springfield Gardens in DeWitt outside of Syracuse, where many Eastern European immigrants have moved in recent years, though some have always been there.
Yes, many of them work at Xerox. Some even walk to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
The problem is that "affordable" housing is different from low income housing for one.
Please explain, and point out where somehow, the taxpayer isn't involed.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Second, zoning changes occur all the time and in this case, you can use infrastructure already in place, instead of worrying about having to build more infrastructure for housing.
Zoning changes do happen, but after numerous studies and residents input. Sometimes it takes years. I know you are aware of the Whole Foods fiasco in Rochester.

Most recently in Greece, a Byrne Dairy (Syracuse based) wanted to open a 24 hr. store on a busy, but mostly residential street. The store got approved, but not the 24 hr opperation, all do to the neighbors.

I honestly welcome more commercial development in my neighborhood, but I don't think my neighbors do. But I don't want big brother forcing their utopian fantasies on us.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:39 AM

93,246 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Please explain, and point out where somehow, the taxpayer isn't involed.
The taxpayer is involved in any type of housing being built in regards to infrastructure. My point is simply to use already existing infrastructure for new housing to minimize costs in building for infrastructure for housing by way of rezoning structures that could be used for housing. Even if you view the segment about Republican pushback, much of it is due to infrastructure concerns, in terms of not having it in place. So, that is another reason why I mentioned rezoning of structures that could be used for housing.

Again, even if you don't have this proposal, you still have the big Micron announcement. Which means that you will need to increase the housing supply for those that may/will move to various parts of Upstate to work there or in affiliated/residual companies. Even you mentioned the possibility of development based off of that announcement for the Rochester area based off of residual companies like Edwards Vacuum at STAMP in Genesee County. So, this is something that will have to be addressed, whether the governor's plan goes through or not.

Old 02-20-2023, 12:14 PM

224 posts, read 136,271 times
Quote:
Years ago the federal government, who I guess doesn't have to follow local zoning built at least 2 apartment projects around Rochester. Affinity Place, in Greece, and the Pines of Perinton. Both were built under local protest. Listen to your police scanner and you'll understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I'm not familiar with the Greece project, but am somewhat familiar with the 'Pines'. Along with a disruptive bunch of residents, the place looks like a penitentiary. I believe that 'Phillips Village', in Webster, was built around the same time, with the same intentions.
The Pines of Perinton seems to have a terrible reputation. Several months ago I was talking to a lady in Fairport and she was giving us all kinds of good info about the immediate area. In our conversation, The Pines came up and she told me the living conditions there are "deplorable" and unsafe. A little while after that I was chatting with my neighbor and mentioned what the woman in Fairport had said and my neighbor agreed. She told me there was a suspicious fire there, numerous code violations, mold, and dead rodents in the water tank.

Old 02-20-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
The taxpayer is involved in any type of housing being built in regards to infrastructure. My point is simply to use already existing infrastructure for new housing to minimize costs in building for infrastructure for housing by way of rezoning structures that could be used for housing. Even if you view the segment about Republican pushback, much of it is due to infrastructure concerns, in terms of not having it in place. So, that is another reason why I mentioned rezoning of structures that could be used for housing.

Again, even if you don't have this proposal, you still have the big Micron announcement. Which means that you will need to increase the housing supply for those that may/will move to various parts of Upstate to work there or in affiliated/residual companies. Even you mentioned the possibility of development based off of that announcement for the Rochester area based off of residual companies like Edwards Vacuum at STAMP in Genesee County. So, this is something that will have to be addressed, whether the governor's plan goes through or not.
If you look at your property tax bill, you will see that infastructure is paid for in that manor.

Old 02-26-2023, 10:45 AM

Finally, this highly visible corner is getting a makeover.
https://rochistory.wordpress.com/202...-intersection/

Old 02-26-2023, 03:40 PM

6,430 posts, read 3,137,370 times
Quote:
Finally, this highly visible corner is getting a makeover.
https://rochistory.wordpress.com/202...-intersection/
I remember (and patronized) "Jay's Record Ranch", in the late 60s. The store was located in the second or third bay, on the Clinton Avenue side of that site.

Old 02-26-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I remember (and patronized) "Jay's Record Ranch", in the late 60s. The store was located in the second or third bay, on the Clinton Avenue side of that site.
I haven't heard that name in decades. I was a little to young in the 60's. Was that the only place they were located?

Old 02-26-2023, 08:18 PM

118 posts, read 48,644 times
Quote:
I haven't heard that name in decades. I was a little to young in the 60's. Was that the only place they were located?
I think I recall a 2nd very short lived branch that opened in Southtown Plaza although I never had an occasion to visit. I dropped a lot of $ at Jay’s, he always had the latest stuff and was usually never out of stock. Business was brisk indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area