Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 09:17 AM

94,453 posts, read 125,431,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
Recent radio show about the Rochester real estate market: https://www.wxxinews.org/show/connec...-estate-market
I guess this can go here...

Unique mansion for sale in Rochester has social media going wild: https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ster-nletter65

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...s/73360325007/

The listing: https://www.howardhanna.com/Property...terNY/R1531477

https://www.instagram.com/p/C51IYnWu998/?img_index=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 03:16 PM

6,638 posts, read 3,280,464 times
^^^^

It's an absolutely gorgeous house, but there's no way I'd want to live where it's located.

Old 04-24-2024, 12:53 AM

1,914 posts, read 3,483,223 times
A whopping ten properties for sale in 14604. Good grief...

Old 04-24-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
A whopping ten properties for sale in 14604. Good grief...
You realize, don't you, that 14604 is "downtown", and mostly commercial.......right??

Old 04-24-2024, 09:50 AM

5,798 posts, read 4,198,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
You realize, don't you, that 14604 is "downtown", and mostly commercial.......right??
I know you don't like going downtown, but there is residential everywhere. Most are mixed use, such as the former Xerox Square, Chase Tower and Midtown Tower.

Old 04-24-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I know you don't like going downtown, but there is residential everywhere. Most are mixed use, such as the former Xerox Square, Chase Tower and Midtown Tower.
I guess things have changed, since I was last down there. The towers that you point out, USED to be strictly commercial properties.....

Old 04-24-2024, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I guess things have changed, since I was last down there. The towers that you point out, USED to be strictly commercial properties.....
I agree, and there are still quite a few that are all commercial. There used to be 60,000 plus jobs downtown. The most upstate. IDK how many now, but there's about 10,000 residents. I think it's good to have a blend.

Old 04-25-2024, 04:45 AM

I still find it both amazing, as well as disappointing, to see how "downtown Rochester" has changed, in the last 15-20 years. My wife has always been highly fashion conscious, therefore she used to frequent all of the larger stores that used to be located in the downtown area. When we started dating, I certainly wasn't shabby looking, but I did have to "step up my game", a bit, clothing wise, which required me to do a little more shopping.

Unfortunately, like many "blue collar workers", in Rochester, my job had me subjected to endure "rotating shifts", at times, so I couldn't always go shopping in the evening, like I preferred to do. Nonetheless, it was nice to be able to drive downtown, park in the Midtown Plaza garage, they pass through McCurdy's, Forman's, and Sibley's, without having to go "outside", especially in the winter.

And on a side note, as a life long "car guy", I remember when there were 12-14 new car dealerships, representing all the major marques, within the Rochester city limits. Now, I'm pretty sure that there's only 1. These days, the greater majority of dealers are located on West Henrietta Road, about 18-20 miles from where I live. What an inconvenient PITA......

(yeah, I know, I'm just reminiscing, and crying the blues, missing what used to be)

Old 04-25-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I still find it both amazing, as well as disappointing, to see how "downtown Rochester" has changed, in the last 15-20 years. My wife has always been highly fashion conscious, therefore she used to frequent all of the larger stores that used to be located in the downtown area. When we started dating, I certainly wasn't shabby looking, but I did have to "step up my game", a bit, clothing wise, which required me to do a little more shopping.

Unfortunately, like many "blue collar workers", in Rochester, my job had me subjected to endure "rotating shifts", at times, so I couldn't always go shopping in the evening, like I preferred to do. Nonetheless, it was nice to be able to drive downtown, park in the Midtown Plaza garage, they pass through McCurdy's, Forman's, and Sibley's, without having to go "outside", especially in the winter.

And on a side note, as a life long "car guy", I remember when there were 12-14 new car dealerships, representing all the major marques, within the Rochester city limits. Now, I'm pretty sure that there's only 1. These days, the greater majority of dealers are located on West Henrietta Road, about 18-20 miles from where I live. What an inconvenient PITA......

(yeah, I know, I'm just reminiscing, and crying the blues, missing what used to be)
Back in the day, Downtown Rochester hosted FIVE Fortune 500 companies. Now there's only the former F 500 company, Kodak. Good news is Constellation Brands is moving from Victor to The Aqueduct Building Complex, after renovating it. They are a Fortune 500 Co. Paychex is also well on it's way to reaching that position as well.

Old 05-03-2024, 07:16 AM

94,453 posts, read 125,431,704 times
Something to keep in mind...

Looking for a house in Rochester? You’ll need income of nearly $90K: https://rbj.net/2024/05/02/looking-f...of-nearly-90k/

"The average prospective homeowner in the Rochester metropolitan area must earn nearly $90,000 a year if they hope to buy a house.

That’s according to Realtor.com’s April Housing Report, which arrives at necessary income numbers after analyzing median home prices, taxes and insurance.

Still, even with a median annual income of $87,000 needed to buy a house, Rochester ranks as the seventh most affordable metro area in the country. Pittsburgh is the most affordable market ($67,000), followed by Detroit ($69,000), Cleveland ($71,000), Birmingham, Ala. ($75,000) and Buffalo ($79,000).

“The affordability index is at an all-time low,” Mark Siwiec, founder of Elysian Homes by Mark Siwiec & Associates, said during last week’s Rochester Business Journal virtual panel discussion on the state of real estate.

” People just can’t afford homes, and until there’s either more property available for sale or interest rates start coming down, affordability is going to continue to be an issue,” Siwiec said.

An ongoing lack of inventory is indeed driving up prices through bidding wars. The median listing price in April in greater Rochester was $295,000, according to Realtor.com. That’s a year-over-year increase of 11.4 percent.

The median household income in Monroe County is $97,000, according to New York State Homes and Community Renewal, but is around $43,000 for the city of Rochester.

The rising prices haven’t deterred all buyers, however. Homes were on the market an average of just 16 days, by far the shortest time from list to sale of any metro area in the country.

Houses in just six other markets were selling, on average, in fewer than 30 days: San Jose (21); Boston (24); Columbus, Ohio (25); San Francisco (28); and Providence, R.I. and Seattle (29).

The four metro areas that required the highest median annual income are in California, according to Realtor.com: San Jose ($361,000), Los Angeles ($298,000), San Diego ($259,000) and San Francisco ($256,000). Boston was next on the list at $226,000."

Here is the original source from realtor.com's 2024 April Housing Report: https://www.realtor.com/research/april-2024-data/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area