Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 06:57 AM

20,323 posts, read 21,113,046 times

Advertisements

I have family and friends scattered all along the north coast from Buffalo to Plattsburgh.
Winter is STILL winter up there. Although from late April to November is absolutely glorious.
Those few months of winter are not for the weak hearted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 07:36 AM

5,793 posts, read 4,183,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I have family and friends scattered all along the north coast from Buffalo to Plattsburgh.
Winter is STILL winter up there. Although from late April to November is absolutely glorious.
Those few months of winter are not for the weak hearted.
Rochester barely get's winter anymore. Most "winter" temperature averages above freezing. I have been doing some work on my house that requires temps to be at least 40f. Only the last 2 weeks haven't worked for me, and there were still a couple of good days. Back at it today.

Old 03-21-2023, 10:15 AM

6,596 posts, read 3,257,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Rochester barely get's winter anymore. Most "winter" temperature averages above freezing. I have been doing some work on my house that requires temps to be at least 40f. Only the last 2 weeks haven't worked for me, and there were still a couple of good days. Back at it today.
I agree. I seem to remember Rochester winters of the past, would start with light snow and 30* temperatures around mid-November, and continue with the cold, and about a half inch to three quarters of snow, DAILY, until around Christmas, when we'd get a good blizzard that would dump 4-5 inches of the white stuff all at once. Then it was back to the half inch daily, until the following February, when we'd get a blizzard that was accompanied by 7-8 inches of snow. About 3 weeks later, it was springtime........

Old 03-21-2023, 03:45 PM

20,323 posts, read 21,113,046 times
Aside from the snowpocalypse, and the short arctic blast, this winter in general was very mild.
I don’t think I had any lingering snow thru December and January. Anything we got disappeared. It was only towards the end of February and this most recent storm we had that the snow stuck around. Mine usually lingers because I’m on the colder side of the mountain.
Did downstate even get any measurable snow? Does it even snow at all on Schlong Island and the city anymore?

Old 03-23-2023, 05:12 PM

8,143 posts, read 12,893,754 times
High taxation is one reason I would avoid New York. Plenty of other states where you can avoid climate issues without paying out to local/State government extortion.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:23 PM

94,291 posts, read 125,222,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
High taxation is one reason I would avoid New York. Plenty of other states where you can avoid climate issues without paying out to local/State government extortion.
The thing is that the area still has a lower/average overall cost of living. It just that in other states, you get “hit” different ways.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:28 PM

8,609 posts, read 4,852,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The thing is that the area still has a lower/average overall cost of living. It just that in other states, you get “hit” different ways.
That’s kinda true but not exactly entirely. I’ve had this discussion a few times, but going to the store or out to eat is generally more expensive than I got accustomed to in Texas. This wasn’t just inflation which crept up on me, this was getting on a plane in one place and landing in another and BAM! That said, I wouldn’t exactly call Rochester expensive…just relatively so for where I came from.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:57 PM

94,291 posts, read 125,222,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
That’s kinda true but not exactly entirely. I’ve had this discussion a few times, but going to the store or out to eat is generally more expensive than I got accustomed to in Texas. This wasn’t just inflation which crept up on me, this was getting on a plane in one place and landing in another and BAM! That said, I wouldn’t exactly call Rochester expensive…just relatively so for where I came from.
It is true due to housing and you also have to keep in mind that Tyler doesn’t have the pay of Rochester either. That part is also important and keep in mind that I’m saying that it is just below or at the average. Take a look at Regional Price Parities by metro area from the Bureau of Economic Analysis in terms of what I’m referring to.

Even if you check out various cost of living calculators, you’ll see that the cost of living between the two is very similar, but like I’ve mentioned on here before, you just get “hit” in different ways.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-23-2023 at 08:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area