Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 06:10 AM

94,049 posts, read 124,866,495 times

Advertisements

“Mayor Malik Evans on Tuesday will join members of the Rochester Housing Quality Task Force to reveal recommendations to improve housing in Rochester.

The recommendations to address substandard housing will be revealed at City Hall at 10:30 a.m.”

More here from the segment: https://www.whec.com/rochester-new-y...12247/?cat=565
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 08:32 AM

5,780 posts, read 4,159,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
“Mayor Malik Evans on Tuesday will join members of the Rochester Housing Quality Task Force to reveal recommendations to improve housing in Rochester.

The recommendations to address substandard housing will be revealed at City Hall at 10:30 a.m.”

More here from the segment: https://www.whec.com/rochester-new-y...12247/?cat=565
This, like so many other things in life can easily be solved by the INDIVIDUAL. I wonder why these people move into s*** h**** housing, and then complain. MOVE!

My suggestion for this, and just about every other problem in the city is to make the city a good place to operate a business, so your residents can have a decent job, and not be reliant on government. Really, how hard is that?

Old 06-28-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
This, like so many other things in life can easily be solved by the INDIVIDUAL. I wonder why these people move into s*** h**** housing, and then complain. MOVE!

My suggestion for this, and just about every other problem in the city is to make the city a good place to operate a business, so your residents can have a decent job, and not be reliant on government. Really, how hard is that?
Then, with the issue to find quality housing, how would that bring some of this housing along so that there are more quality options for people in the city?

Also, what role does government play in helping provide better housing for residents, current and potential?

Here is a related segment, Consumer Alert: Rochester Renters sit down for a panel discussion about the city’s troubled rental market: https://www.whec.com/news/consumer-a...956/?cat=13636

Old 06-28-2022, 09:53 AM

224 posts, read 138,485 times
The plan to improve housing quality involves these 5 categories: code enforcement, facilitating responsible ownership, repair and improvement programs, increasing supply of quality housing, and improving education.

Mayor Evans said the data is clear: "If people are in good, steady, healthy housing, they keep their jobs longer, their kids do better in school, and they have less stress."

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/...-in-rochester/

Old 06-28-2022, 04:09 PM

6,550 posts, read 3,226,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post

Agreed. And with respect to your comment about "people moving into s*** h**** housing, then complaining", I had a couple of friends who owned rental properties in the 80s and 90s, and said it was the most frustrating time in their lives.

They, as owners, were required, BY LAW, to keep the apartments up to certain standards, at all times. They stated that it was a constant battle, because many of the tenants had some sort of "get even" mindset with the "rich property owners". The owner would fix the place up, a new tenant would move in, and shortly thereafter, start trashing the place, then complain to the housing authority about their "living conditions". The owner gets contacted by the housing authority, he makes repairs, the tenant "re-trashes" the place, and it's "rinse and repeat", over and over.

Then they complain that either A) no sane person wants to own rental property; or B) the owners are reluctant to keep pouring money down the drain, by trying to maintain the place. In many cases, the renters are their own worst enemies. ALL of my friends got out of the business............

Old 06-28-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Agreed. And with respect to your comment about "people moving into s*** h**** housing, then complaining", I had a couple of friends who owned rental properties in the 80s and 90s, and said it was the most frustrating time in their lives.

They, as owners, were required, BY LAW, to keep the apartments up to certain standards, at all times. They stated that it was a constant battle, because many of the tenants had some sort of "get even" mindset with the "rich property owners". The owner would fix the place up, a new tenant would move in, and shortly thereafter, start trashing the place, then complain to the housing authority about their "living conditions". The owner gets contacted by the housing authority, he makes repairs, the tenant "re-trashes" the place, and it's "rinse and repeat", over and over.

Then they complain that either A) no sane person wants to own rental property; or B) the owners are reluctant to keep pouring money down the drain, by trying to maintain the place. In many cases, the renters are their own worst enemies. ALL of my friends got out of the business............
So, should we put this on the renters and/or those specific landlords that do not maintain their properties? I ask, because there is a term called a “slumlord” for a reason and the second segment gave an example of one.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:35 AM

In my humble opinion, based on my personal observation, yes, the term "slumlord" does exist, but in many cases, it has a justifiable cause. How would you, if you were a rental property owner, like to live through the scenario that I mentioned in the above post? Would you like to be continuing to put money into repairs of the property you own, just to have the tenant continue abuse YOUR property. And on top of that, you, the property owner, have restrictions placed on you, by the government, regarding your ability to evict a tenant who's trashing your place?

Furthermore, why do many of these buildings exist in areas that are all full of litter and trash? Does the property owner arrive at these properties, and throw crap all over? I highly doubt it. The people who live in these rentals, do they not know how to use a broom and a dustpan? Do they not know how to use a garbage can? Is there a need to abandon and trash old cars, in vacant lots, around the city? The city picks up trash, on regular intervals. Do the people not know how to neatly place their trash hoppers at the curb, for pick up?

As "JWRocks" previously implied, it appears to be more of a "lifestyle issue", than it is a landlord issue.

Old 06-29-2022, 07:34 AM

5,780 posts, read 4,159,306 times
Quote:
So, should we put this on the renters and/or those specific landlords that do not maintain their properties? I ask, because there is a term called a “slumlord” for a reason and the second segment gave an example of one.
What about the code enforcement officers? A CofO is required for rentals, and need to be renewed periodically. Also many of the landlords "slumlords" properties get the rent sent directly to them through Section 8, and they require inspections too. So, if you're not paying rent, how much respect do you have for the property you live in?

Interesting that most of the "slumlords" are concentrated in certain neighborhoods. When I was younger, I had a few properties in some of these areas, and things weren't anywhere near how things are now. But even back then I remember a tenant had their bathroom sink just "fell off the wall." No it didn't "fall". I had a tenant once tell me someone tried to break into her apartment. Funny thing that they must have broke into her apartment from the inside.

So sure, there may be some bad landlords, but in 95% of the time, it's the tenant. I'm in better neighborhoods now, and have no problems. Experience is a good teacher.

Old 06-29-2022, 07:54 AM

^Good point about code enforcement, as how could they let things get that bad? Another thing I notice is that I have heard people complain about out of town owners. So, could that be another aspect that needs to be tightened up in terms of having them make sure they are actually taking care of the properties they own in the city?

I’m sure there are poor tenants, but could there also be some sort of registry, for lack of a better word, to report said tenants if they break/destroy things in the rental property?

Also, how much does the age of properties come into play? I ask because this article about cities with older housing stock from almost 8 years ago mentions the city: https://www.governing.com/archive/go...ing-stock.html (has data at the end)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-29-2022 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-29-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
^Good point about code enforcement, as how could they let things get that bad? Another thing I notice is that I have heard people complain about out of town owners. So, could that be another aspect that needs to be tightened up in terms of having them make sure they are actually taking care of the properties they own in the city?

I’m sure there are poor tenants, but could there also be some sort of registry, for lack of a better word, to report said tenants if they break/destroy things in the rental property?

Also, how much does the age of properties come into play? I ask because this article about cities with older housing stock from almost 8 years ago mentions the city: https://www.governing.com/archive/go...ing-stock.html (has data at the end)
A) why should it matter, all that much, where a property's owner lives? If the tenants don't abuse the property, just because it isn't their own, I kind of think that the owners would be far more receptive to regular visits, both to simply "check up" on the property, as well as keep up the maintenance. But if all the tenants are going to do, is beat the property to death, simply because it's "somebody else's", then how can you expect the owner to gladly keep sinking money into the property? If the rent is $800/month, for instance, and the tenant does $900 worth of damage, every month, what's supposed to happen???

B) I HIGHLY doubt that you could get away with a "bad tenant registry". While a noble idea, far too many people would cry discrimination..........

C) Older houses? Sure, many rentals are older, simply because they're cheaper to buy, therefore generate a profit for the owner. And yes, there's NORMAL wear that occurs over time. But again, as "JWRocks" pointed out, most privately owned homes, even old ones, don't have sinks that "fall off the wall", for no reason at all.

I spent a good chunk of my life on the east side of Rochester, and the house my family owned for that period, was built in 1952. My parents bought it in 1960, and it remained in the family until 2005. The house is still standing, and in good shape. WHY??? Responsible owners!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area