Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 03:44 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It may be a matter of what you are looking at as well. Some things may be higher, but other things that make a bigger portion of cost of living may be lower(i.e.-housing).

Keep in mind that there are other grocery options in the area that have lower prices and restaurants will vary as well.
Housing is fairly equivalent - if anything maybe slightly higher - but the difference is well below that of more day-to-day goods. I’m just prepared to pay a premium for being here at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 03:58 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Housing is fairly equivalent - if anything maybe slightly higher - but the difference is well below that of more day-to-day goods. I’m just prepared to pay a premium for being here at this point.
Look back at the housing information I posted earlier, which shows that the median home price is actually higher in Tyler.

Here is the source(click on Complete Listing By Affordability Rank): https://www.nahb.org/news-and-econom...ortunity-index

Old 10-23-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Look back at the housing information I posted earlier, which shows that the median home price is actually higher in Tyler.

Here is the source(click on Complete Listing By Affordability Rank): https://www.nahb.org/news-and-econom...ortunity-index
Well, OK. I don’t want to harp on the COL, and the RE component I consider functionally equivalent anyway.

Mostly I think I’m still in the middle of culture and weather shock. I very much stick out like a sore thumb, lol, which I’m OK with. I’m struggling with the idea of winter because it takes my favorite thing about the area - open spaces - pretty much out of the rotation for a while, and I don’t have much cold weather gear. Mostly I just avoid the city altogether as well and pursue things either in the burbs or further out. Also wish it weren’t such a pain to get my guns up here, as I love shooting.

On the upside, again, I like that there’s always something to do, and that I FINALLY have a place with lots of different cuisine, many of which are either not chains, or are regional. That’s big for me. Although I’m such a California kid that I’m not really into all the greenery and fall colors and stuff, I do have to say when you throw some elevation into the mix that the forests take on this really neat character, and the river gorges at places like Stonybrook are downright arresting, even if their scale doesn’t match what I grew up with out west. Open space is just a big deal here, and I revel in all that’s around.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:31 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Well, OK. I don’t want to harp on the COL, and the RE component I consider functionally equivalent anyway.

Mostly I think I’m still in the middle of culture and weather shock. I very much stick out like a sore thumb, lol, which I’m OK with. I’m struggling with the idea of winter because it takes my favorite thing about the area - open spaces - pretty much out of the rotation for a while, and I don’t have much cold weather gear. Mostly I just avoid the city altogether as well and pursue things either in the burbs or further out. Also wish it weren’t such a pain to get my guns up here, as I love shooting.

On the upside, again, I like that there’s always something to do, and that I FINALLY have a place with lots of different cuisine, many of which are either not chains, or are regional. That’s big for me. Although I’m such a California kid that I’m not really into all the greenery and fall colors and stuff, I do have to say when you throw some elevation into the mix that the forests take on this really neat character, and the river gorges at places like Stonybrook are downright arresting, even if their scale doesn’t match what I grew up with out west. Open space is just a big deal here, and I revel in all that’s around.
You really need to have winter clothes, just because. Especially if you are an outdoors person.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
You really need to have winter clothes, just because. Especially if you are an outdoors person.
Never made the investment because I never needed it before. But Raynaud’s disease almost makes it a moot point as going outside when it’s in the 40s or below a task which requires some courage anyway. No, thicker gloves don’t work, and no, hand warmers don’t help much either.

https://medlineplus.gov/raynaudsdisease.html

Old 10-30-2022, 07:51 AM

95 posts, read 155,125 times
I'm glad you are settling into Rochester and making the best of it.

I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, but I'm surprised serious gloves and boots don't make your condition more tolerable. I have boots, socks, and gloves that are so warm my hands and feet sweat in them. I would think that would make a big difference with your Raynaud’s, but I know almost nothing about it.

I read years ago that if you want to keep your extremities warm, keep your head warm. It seems to be true. Supposedly if you keep the blood supply to your head warm, your whole core temperature stays warmer.

I'm just suggesting these things because it sounds like you really like the outdoors, and might feel cooped up over a long winter indoors.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post
I'm glad you are settling into Rochester and making the best of it.

I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, but I'm surprised serious gloves and boots don't make your condition more tolerable. I have boots, socks, and gloves that are so warm my hands and feet sweat in them. I would think that would make a big difference with your Raynaud’s, but I know almost nothing about it.

I read years ago that if you want to keep your extremities warm, keep your head warm. It seems to be true. Supposedly if you keep the blood supply to your head warm, your whole core temperature stays warmer.

I'm just suggesting these things because it sounds like you really like the outdoors, and might feel cooped up over a long winter indoors.
I would recommend mittens over gloves.

What types gloves and socks are you using? My fingers and feet get cold easily too. Need something of high quality

Old 11-05-2022, 07:08 PM

Well I remember from skiing that there was functionally little improvement going for thick gloves - let’s say, Marmot - and ditto putting in hand warmers. Everybody always suggests that, and boy do I wish it were that easy. My feet are kinda OK, and I’m glad because I don’t particularly like shoes/boots to begin with. But my hands get absolutely miserable, even as I think I mentioned in ambient temps in the 50s.

Luckily the last couple of days have been really nice

Old 01-20-2023, 03:45 PM

Update - psychologically it hasn’t been pleasant. A bit of culture shock, I suppose. Also having a hard time with winter weather here. Really trying to make a good go of it, though - I’m going to be here for a while come hell or high water.

Some things which stick out to me - deliberately not having re-read what I put in this thread earlier - the weather is tough. I’m terrified of driving in snow and physically miserable in the cold. I’m gunshy about who I interact with here. I guess this is considered a “legacy city”, and it’s really hard to get used to. The state benefits are a godsend, though, as are the wages - as predicted, the high wages prompt high prices and COL issues, but the high prices aren’t 1:1 with wage costs, so what’s close to double minimum wage does offset what can at times be 30% or more cost increases for things like fuel, eating out, etc. it’s really hard to adjust from out west/down south, but it’s coming together, slowly. I am more and more appreciating how there is a real community bond here, it’s just needing a brain reset of how things have always worked where I’ve lived to approach it. And day-to-day, these stupid shopping bag laws are a real pain!

I think, and please check me on this assessment, that it’s easy to feel homey here if you’re from here, or invest a lot of effort. Otherwise…yeah, you’ll have some QOL issues.

Old 01-20-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Update - psychologically it hasn’t been pleasant. A bit of culture shock, I suppose. Also having a hard time with winter weather here. Really trying to make a good go of it, though - I’m going to be here for a while come hell or high water.

Some things which stick out to me - deliberately not having re-read what I put in this thread earlier - the weather is tough. I’m terrified of driving in snow and physically miserable in the cold. I’m gunshy about who I interact with here. I guess this is considered a “legacy city”, and it’s really hard to get used to. The state benefits are a godsend, though, as are the wages - as predicted, the high wages prompt high prices and COL issues, but the high prices aren’t 1:1 with wage costs, so what’s close to double minimum wage does offset what can at times be 30% or more cost increases for things like fuel, eating out, etc. it’s really hard to adjust from out west/down south, but it’s coming together, slowly. I am more and more appreciating how there is a real community bond here, it’s just needing a brain reset of how things have always worked where I’ve lived to approach it. And day-to-day, these stupid shopping bag laws are a real pain!

I think, and please check me on this assessment, that it’s easy to feel homey here if you’re from here, or invest a lot of effort. Otherwise…yeah, you’ll have some QOL issues.
Hopefully you'll get used to it. I've never liked winter, but stayed here my whole life. Just wait till spring time when all the vegetation greens up. It's such a great feeling after winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area