Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 07:20 AM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

^The problem with that is that Rochester at times has had spikes in crime when all of those companies were downsized. An article from 1989 that illustrates this: https://buffalonews.com/news/rochest...64fdfb926.html

Then, this was more active as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_crime_family

Also, if said people are getting all of this generous stuff, then why would that spur more crime? Wouldn’t it be the opposite?

I think some of it is that the city wasn’t ready for the influx of migrants, as many lived in crowded, substandard housing. Meaning, conditions in a portion of the city weren’t too hot and people in that/those areas are likely more concerned with ways to get out of said conditions, legally and illegally.

This documentary from 1965 that has been posted in another thread on here, mentions this aspect in terms of Rochester:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y0tnc-L_A_s&feature=share (starts around 35 minutes in)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Rochester_race_riot

There may also just be some unresolved personal issues/conflicts that come into play as well.

With this said, the city does vary in terms of the types of neighborhoods it has and some areas would have a positive appeal to some people.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-01-2022 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 10:04 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,093,071 times
^ Unskilled labor in a city that depends on skilled labor. None the less, the large companies hired unskilled labor. "More than our fair share", Joe Wilson said. All of those companies encouraged growing the individual, and rarely was the opportunity taken advantage of, so they were the first to go when downsizing happened. Add to that, Rochester's "benevolence" and the overwhelming number of "do gooders", convincing everyone that "it's not your fault", and you have a recipe for an unhappy person.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
^ Unskilled labor in a city that depends on skilled labor. None the less, the large companies hired unskilled labor. "More than our fair share", Joe Wilson said. All of those companies encouraged growing the individual, and rarely was the opportunity taken advantage of, so they were the first to go when downsizing happened. Add to that, Rochester's "benevolence" and the overwhelming number of "do gooders", convincing everyone that "it's not your fault", and you have a recipe for an unhappy person.
Many likely got skills on the job or later through programs. Many did take advantage of what was available. Hence the middle class not only in parts of the city, but into the suburbs as well.

Yes, some of it is personally related, but some also fall through the cracks, have other priorities in terms of living/survival or in some cases, were just organized outfits that contribute(d) to crime as well.

To be fair, some of the things that persisted in that documentary 57 years ago, still persists not only in segments of the city and others across the country.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-01-2022 at 10:47 AM..

Old 11-02-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Many likely got skills on the job or later through programs. Many did take advantage of what was available. .
After just posting about working with many of these people, NO, they did NOT take advantage of what was available or improve their job skills. They told me they weren't interested in bettering themselves because it would lead to more responsibility.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
After just posting about working with many of these people, NO, they did NOT take advantage of what was available or improve their job skills. They told me they weren't interested in bettering themselves because it would lead to more responsibility.
Where did you get that from? Even in the documentary I posted, it shows examples of people getting skills and weren't you the one that mentioned how companies looked to diversify its employment ranks, including the person you quoted, Joe Wilson?

Plus, why would someone literally tell you specifically that anyway? It sounds like you are referring to working people, which is totally different from people taking advantage of the generosity of local people and that leading to crime. Can you make this make sense?

Old 11-02-2022, 08:59 AM

To get back on track(please)...

OP, I see that you are currently in a northern suburb of Dallas. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Me...!4d-96.5463156

Are you looking for a similar type of community, but within a few hours of NYC? If so, I'd personally look at towns such as Colonie, Bethlehem(Delmar), Guilderland, Niskayuna, Clifton Park, etc. in the Albany area; Vestal and parts of Union(i.e.-Endwell(cdp)) in the Binghamton area or say the town of Wallkill outside of Middletown as similar types of places within that time criteria. Maybe even a town such as New Hartford outside of Utica would be a good option within that area, but it may be a stretch.

Also, what makes those Albany area towns appealing is that you can take a train to NYC: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Trai...40.7527262!3e3

So, that is something else to consider.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-02-2022 at 09:38 AM..

Old 11-02-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Where did you get that from? Even in the documentary I posted, it shows examples of people getting skills and weren't you the one that mentioned how companies looked to diversify its employment ranks, including the person you quoted, Joe Wilson?

Plus, why would someone literally tell you specifically that anyway? It sounds like you are referring to working people, which is totally different from people taking advantage of the generosity of local people and that leading to crime. Can you make this make sense?
It makes perfect sense to those that simply read what I posted. To others, that have to twist things around, it won't make sense.

And where did I get my info? Not from a 50 y.o. video. Real life, talking to these people.

Old 11-02-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
It makes perfect sense to those that simply read what I posted. To others, that have to twist things around, it won't make sense.

And where did I get my info? Not from a 50 y.o. video. Real life, talking to these people.
I asked you who told you this though?

So, the documentary wasn't real? Come on...I thought this was in response to why crime occurs in Rochester.

Anyway, the criteria of the OP doesn't make Rochester a fit for their plans if they want to be within 3 hours of NYC.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I asked you who told you this though?

So, the documentary wasn't real? Come on...I thought this was in response to why crime occurs in Rochester.

Anyway, the criteria of the OP doesn't make Rochester a fit for their plans if they want to be within 3 hours of NYC.
The 3 hours may be meaningless if he gets a great job, or really likes a certain city.

Speaking of jobs, I just read that Simcona Electronics (or its subsidiary) is looking to ad 75 jobs by the end of the year

Old 11-02-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
The 3 hours may be meaningless if he gets a great job, or really likes a certain city.

Speaking of jobs, I just read that Simcona Electronics (or its subsidiary) is looking to ad 75 jobs by the end of the year
True and great...I'm just saying that the OP may have misunderstood that Rochester is a bit more further away than what they expected. If they really want to be within 3 hours of NYC, then they would have to adjust where they relocate. That's all I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area