Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:14 AM

9 posts, read 59,698 times

Advertisements

Hi,

One of my friends is about to move to rochester for a new job, and was asking me which bank he should opt for to open a bank account? I know about BOA services but don't have much info abt other banks? What you guys suggest.

PS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
I'm pretty happy with citizens bank. I travel all over the northeast for work and they have locations all around.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:57 PM

131 posts, read 792,900 times
Default Chase

We moved here from Westchester County and already had Chase accounts, so we just kept on with them. I have no complaints about their services, but they don't have all that many locations near me. Maybe I'm just used to the NYC area where there is a Chase on every corner (or so it seems). It just means that I have to remember to get cash when I am near the bank, because they do charge you if you take out cash from a non-Chase ATM.

According to this link on City-Data, Citizens Bank had the most branches in the Rochester area in 2006 (look towards the bottom of the page):

Rochester, New York (NY) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 06-03-2008, 05:05 PM

96 posts, read 394,575 times
I really like Canandaigua National Bank because it is local and very "small-town" friendly in feel. Very easy and non-corporate in feel. Also there is a wonderful Credit Union called the Genesee which is wonderful and homey too- has an "alternative" feel.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:29 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinhasG35 View Post
Hi,

One of my friends is about to move to rochester for a new job, and was asking me which bank he should opt for to open a bank account? I know about BOA services but don't have much info abt other banks? What you guys suggest.

PS

I like HSBC. They have a presence in Canada & Europe too, if you are a traveler.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:07 PM

106 posts, read 512,909 times
Quote:
Hi,

PS
ESL--used to be kodak's bank but they spun off on their own--great to deal with--also M& t Banks

Old 06-04-2008, 06:59 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
First Niagra has several branches in the area. It is a local bank from Buffalo and is much better that Citizens IMO...Citizens is just the latest in a long list that have bought this bank in the last 30 years. It used to be a nice, small bank, but now has changed for the worse!

Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Hi,

PS
I'm actually going to be relocating there in August and after doing alot of research on everything imaginable I came to the conclusion that HSBC probably has the most branches around and in past dealing with them,they seamed to be good. Bank of america in the past also was a very good bank. He should also find out if there is a local Credit Union for where he is moving to and find out there ATM rules and possible fees.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:19 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,897 times
There are a lot of good credit unions around here, and most are networked to allow transactions at "sister" credit unions and part of national credit union ATM networks allowing free use of each other's ATMs. ESL and Summit come to mind immediately.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 20,851 times
It has been my experience that B Of A is the worse bank to do anything with. They charge right and left for what they do and everything is outside the box and you pay. that said they have the most AtMs of all the banks and as long as you have the acct. with thaem there is not charge aat this time for the use. There is going to be a bunch of change's in OCT. 2010, was watch out for anybank!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area