Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 03:05 PM

93,176 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

"The town of Irondequoit has been ranked the No. 1 market in the nation for first-time homebuyers in a report released Thursday by Realtor.com.

The Best Markets for First-Time Homebuyers in 2024 ranked communities based on the anticipated availability of homes for sale, median list price, a larger percentage of younger homeowners, reasonable commute times, low unemployment rates, community amenities and forecasted home sales and home prices in the coming year.

Irondequoit came out on top in the rankings, largely because of an 8.2 percent share of homeowners between 25 and 34, a median listing price of $187,000. a price-t0-income ratio of 2.5 and a 22-minute commute time.

The top 10 also included, in order: Benton, Ark.; Winterset, Iowa; Newington, Conn.; Council Bluffs, Iowa; the Buffalo suburb of Cheektowaga; Grand Rapids, Mich.; Moore, Okla.; the Syracuse suburb of Mattydale(could really be town of Salina in general); and Riviera Beach, Md.

Only one community per metro area was included.

“We picked these markets for their affordability and availability of listings. This makes them ideal areas for first-time homebuyers trying to break into the housing market,” Realtor.com Chief Economist Danielle Hale said in a news release. “Furthermore, we look for areas that already have not just a lot of young people, but a lot of younger homeowners — suggesting that these are areas where younger shoppers can have success in the housing market.”

The ranking looked at 2,738 towns and cities with a population of more than 5,000 located within the country’s 100 largest metropolitan areas."

Article source: https://rbj.net/2024/01/11/irondequo...9376@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 05:26 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
I lived in Irondequoit for 30, and I can attest to it being a fairly decent town to live in. For potential home buyers, however, don't expect to find too many brand new homes to consider, as the town has been "built out" for a LONG time. Yes, there are still some vacant lots within the town, but they're very few and very far between.

Old 01-12-2024, 09:10 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
The bulk of the house inventory was build in the 1950's, not that's necessarily a bad thing. Some (but not all) of the "new" developer communities are build with inferior building products, not to mention many have HOA's that range from a minor inconvenience to your worse nightmare. My Wife's Daughter lives in one, while they do not have someone bothering them that there grass is too high or the door isn't an "Approved color" they did get stuck playing a special assessment, four dams that were part of the development need to be replaced and they are on the hook for around 6k over the next 10 years to replace them. And their property isn't water front, so they don't get any benefits from the ponds these dams create.

Old 01-12-2024, 10:58 AM

5,672 posts, read 4,081,937 times
To know Irondequoit, is knowing there are 2 Irondequoits. East and west. Most of the starter type homes are on the east side, with the exception of those near the lake and Bay. The west side is more affluent and most of the homes would fit comfortably in Brighton. 2 different school districts as well.

Old 01-12-2024, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
To know Irondequoit, is knowing there are 2 Irondequoits. East and west. Most of the starter type homes are on the east side, with the exception of those near the lake and Bay. The west side is more affluent and most of the homes would fit comfortably in Brighton. 2 different school districts as well.
Along that line, you can easily see where the town divides, as the homes west of Culver Road and north of Ridge Road, are for the most part older and as you said, "more Brighton like". East of Culver, especially when you get south, around Empire Boulevard, you can see the clear distinction of the "new and old" Irondequoit, as there are sharp lines between the pre-1950s homes and the post 1950s homes.

Nonetheless, as I previously mentioned, that area is just about completely built out.

Old 01-12-2024, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Along that line, you can easily see where the town divides, as the homes west of Culver Road and north of Ridge Road, are for the most part older and as you said, "more Brighton like". East of Culver, especially when you get south, around Empire Boulevard, you can see the clear distinction of the "new and old" Irondequoit, as there are sharp lines between the pre-1950s homes and the post 1950s homes.

Nonetheless, as I previously mentioned, that area is just about completely built out.
You are correct. Irondequoit is fully developed.

There are places like Sea Breeze, that if the town got it's act together could be thriving areas with housing, restaurants and hotels. I think they screwed it up bringing the highway down to Bill Gray's. They could have built 200 high end housing units on that land, and turn the area around, and still go to Bill Grays, et al, via Culver rd.

Old 01-13-2024, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
You are correct. Irondequoit is fully developed.

There are places like Sea Breeze, that if the town got it's act together could be thriving areas with housing, restaurants and hotels. I think they screwed it up bringing the highway down to Bill Gray's. They could have built 200 high end housing units on that land, and turn the area around, and still go to Bill Grays, et al, via Culver rd.
Two thoughts about this.....

1) The "highway" has been there for about 60 years, and it's a highly travelled route. I don't think that redirecting that additional traffic on to Culver Road would be practical, especially when the amusement park is in operation. What I don't understand is why either the town, or the state, decided to reconstruct it down to two lanes, several years ago;

2) IIRC, that section of road is (or was, at one time) designated as an evacuation route for Webster residents, in case of a "meltdown" at the Ginna power plant. Reasonable traffic capability needed to be maintained.

Speaking about the rise in property values.....I'm an "old fashioned guy", and still stubbornly subscribe to the local newspaper. I read in the real estate transaction listings, this morning, that a house located 3-4 houses west of our former family home, sold for $300,000. Talk about inflation!! When my mother developed dementia, in 2005, and had to move to assisted living, I put the home on the market and sold it for $80,000, and thought we did quite well.....

Old 01-13-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:

1) The "highway" has been there for about 60 years, and it's a highly travelled route. I don't think that redirecting that additional traffic on to Culver Road would be practical, especially when the amusement park is in operation. What I don't understand is why either the town, or the state, decided to reconstruct it down to two lanes, several years ago;

I don't know why they reduced the lanes, but the section I'm refering to carries very little traffic. Most people turn down Sweet Fern. North of there, the highway takes up many acres of prime real estate, and would be much better developed as housing. That, in turn would help the "village" of Seabreeze add some more options, and diverting the traffic would be helpful for commerce. All of the parking access for the amusement park are off of Culver now.

Old 01-14-2024, 10:16 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Quote:

2) IIRC, that section of road is (or was, at one time) designated as an evacuation route for Webster residents, in case of a "meltdown" at the Ginna power plant. Reasonable traffic capability needed to be maintained.

Speaking about the rise in property values.....I'm an "old fashioned guy", and still stubbornly subscribe to the local newspaper. I read in the real estate transaction listings, this morning, that a house located 3-4 houses west of our former family home, sold for $300,000. Talk about inflation!! When my mother developed dementia, in 2005, and had to move to assisted living, I put the home on the market and sold it for $80,000, and thought we did quite well.....
I can't fathom how fixer-uppers there are going for $200K. To each their own

Always liked the Cooper Rd. area, lots of well-built 50's homes, some custom-built. Glad to see demand for housing there

Old 01-15-2024, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
I can't fathom how fixer-uppers there are going for $200K. To each their own.
Neither can I. To me, that's "California pricing"..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area