Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:47 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,060,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
The people of Buffalo have a severe inferiority complex. Something I noticed while attending school there.
Why in the world would they?

Buffalo has MUCH better nightlife and is much more known nationally

I went to school in Texas and nobody knew where Rochester was when I mentioned I was from there. When I told them it was near Buffalo then they had an idea where it was.

Rochester has some decent things about it like low cost of living but I would never move back there... to provincial and overly smug about nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 12:32 PM

466 posts, read 977,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post

I went to school in Texas and nobody knew where Rochester was when I mentioned I was from there. When I told them it was near Buffalo then they had an idea where it was.

Rochester has some decent things about it like low cost of living but I would never move back there... to provincial and overly smug about nothing
You'll have to ask the people of Buffalo why, not me. I attended school for 4 years and that was one of the major things I noticed.

And you just confirmed something else for me that I posted in another thread recently. The first thing anyone mentions about Buffalo is their nightlife. Great. For most people, that's pretty far down on the list of priorities.

People know Buffalo because they have 2 major pro sports teams. Rochester doesn't. And honestly, who cares? That's part of this complex they have, which is to constantly remind people that they are more known nationally than Rochester, as if that really matters. Your post only serves as an affirmation of my thoughts.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:26 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,675,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post

Other than bars being open till 4 am, the nightlife is no different.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM

744 posts, read 1,758,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
That's part of this complex they have, which is to constantly remind people that they are more known nationally than Rochester, as if that really matters.
LOL, I am not from NY state, but moved here about 5 years ago. I spend a lot on time in the car in both cities and usually have the radio on. The impression I get is that Buffalo acts as if Rochester does not even exist, it's not on the radar of the everyday Buffalonian. Rochester in it's media and people I have met has a keen awareness of Buffalo and it's environs. ROC radio frequently mentions events and news items or even simple chatting on the morning talk shows about Buffalo and it's suburbs with the understanding that Rochestarians are familiar with where such places as Amherst or Tonawanda are. In the same way that Rochester has an unrequited competition with the much larger Buffalo Urban area, Buffalo does the same with the much larger Toronto urban area.

An urbanized area as defined by the US Census Bureau is contiguously built up areas of more than 2,500 people per square mile. The most recent available dat from the US Census Bureau shows the Buffalo urbanized area to be just under 1 million people while the Rochester Urbanized area at about 690,000. A true birds eye view of Buffalo as used by many worldwide organizations includes such places as NF Ontario and has a Buffalo Urbanized population of about 1.5 million people or about twice as many as Rochester. Simply put Buffalo is better known than Rochester becasue it is bigger and Toronto is much better known than Buffalo because it is bigger.

The MSA's are not a good view of a regions urban size because they by law include complete counties only, For Example the Buffalo MSA includes only 2 counties of approximately 1,600 square miles while the Rochester metro includes 5 counties (stretching almost to Pa) and over 3,200 square miles. Even then with 3 extra counties and more than twice the land area the Buffalo MSA still has 100,000 more people.

Here is a link to a listing of the World's Largest Urbanized Area's - Toronto comes in at number 50, Buffalo comes in at #232 and Rochester at number 361.

http://www.mongabay.com/cities_urban_01.htm

Old 12-02-2011, 04:22 PM

466 posts, read 977,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
LOL, I am not from NY state, but moved here about 5 years ago. I spend a lot on time in the car in both cities and usually have the radio on. The impression I get is that Buffalo acts as if Rochester does not even exist, it's not on the radar of the everyday Buffalonian. Rochester in it's media and people I have met has a keen awareness of Buffalo and it's environs. ROC radio frequently mentions events and news items or even simple chatting on the morning talk shows about Buffalo and it's suburbs with the understanding that Rochestarians are familiar with where such places as Amherst or Tonawanda are. In the same way that Rochester has an unrequited competition with the much larger Buffalo Urban area, Buffalo does the same with the much larger Toronto urban area.
I never hear anyone talk about Buffalo on the radio. Only time Buffalo is mentioned is due to its sports teams. And yes, people from Rochester love the Sabres and Bills. Which you should be thankful for, as both would no longer exist if it wasn't for fan and business support from Rochester. Any other rare time people mention Buffalo, it's usually because it's the butt-end of a joke.

If Buffalo has any "competition" with Toronto, it has to be the biggest mismatch in the history of mismatches.

Quote:
An urbanized area as defined by the US Census Bureau is contiguously built up areas of more than 2,500 people per square mile. The most recent available dat from the US Census Bureau shows the Buffalo urbanized area to be just under 1 million people while the Rochester Urbanized area at about 690,000. A true birds eye view of Buffalo as used by many worldwide organizations includes such places as NF Ontario and has a Buffalo Urbanized population of about 1.5 million people or about twice as many as Rochester. Simply put Buffalo is better known than Rochester becasue it is bigger and Toronto is much better known than Buffalo because it is bigger.
No, it's well known because of it's sports team. Someone in Alabama knows nothing about Buffalo other than the Bills. Same with just about anywhere else in the country. Well, they might know them for terrible weather and for it being a poor, rust belt city.

But yes, Buffalo feels slightly bigger. It used to be one of the largest cities in the country. It's had a long and depressing decline. But congrats, I guess, for having a larger urbanized area that once was way larger. Inconsequential.

Quote:
The MSA's are not a good view of a regions urban size because they by law include complete counties only, For Example the Buffalo MSA includes only 2 counties of approximately 1,600 square miles while the Rochester metro includes 5 counties (stretching almost to Pa) and over 3,200 square miles. Even then with 3 extra counties and more than twice the land area the Buffalo MSA still has 100,000 more people.
Again, so? If you like so many people around move to NYC. These are stats the average person couldn't care less about.

Monroe county's population density is 1,129 per square mile. Erie county's is 880. Either way, it's something just about nobody recognizes or cares about.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM

277 posts, read 881,595 times
When I opened this thread I expected to read peoples opinions about each city or about the different experiences in each city. I would love to learn more about the personalities of Buffalo and Rochester because I really don't believe that competition is appropriate for cities, ice cream flavors, or types of music. They are all based on preferences or ones palate.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:24 AM

7 posts, read 3,059 times
My experience moving from Buffalo to Rochester in the early 80's for work was that Rochestarians are/were more aloof. I spent the first 23 years of my life in Buffalo (Lovejoy and Cheektowaga) and the past 35 years in Rochester, and its western suburbs. I consider both places home and love both, but it was not easy to assimilate when I first arrived. In Buffalo, you could walk into a bar and easily start a conversation or join one with people who were complete strangers. Try doing that here. I did and people looked at me like I had 3 heads. It took a while, but I finally found my niche.
One other thing, its sad to me that most discussions of Buffalo and Rochester (like this one) turn into a peeing contest with each side trying to downplay the other. I see the good and bad in both, as I still keep close ties to my old neighborhoods in Buffalo. I guess I wish it wasn't so antagonistic. They're both great places, each in their own way.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:14 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,407,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangwich View Post
My experience moving from Buffalo to Rochester in the early 80's for work was that Rochestarians are/were more aloof. I spent the first 23 years of my life in Buffalo (Lovejoy and Cheektowaga) and the past 35 years in Rochester, and its western suburbs. I consider both places home and love both, but it was not easy to assimilate when I first arrived. In Buffalo, you could walk into a bar and easily start a conversation or join one with people who were complete strangers. Try doing that here. I did and people looked at me like I had 3 heads. It took a while, but I finally found my niche.
One other thing, its sad to me that most discussions of Buffalo and Rochester (like this one) turn into a peeing contest with each side trying to downplay the other. I see the good and bad in both, as I still keep close ties to my old neighborhoods in Buffalo. I guess I wish it wasn't so antagonistic. They're both great places, each in their own way.

I can relate, and I grew up in Rochester and spent much of my adult life there.

Buffalo is a very welcoming place. Rochester, simply, is not. A lot of people around Rochester remind me of a lot of people from the Detroit area.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:49 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,788,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
I can relate, and I grew up in Rochester and spent much of my adult life there.

Buffalo is a very welcoming place. Rochester, simply, is not. A lot of people around Rochester remind me of a lot of people from the Detroit area.
Never heard anyone describe Rochester as not welcoming. I've lived in the area going on 5 years now and have lived in 3 different areas and have found everyone to be extremely welcoming. More so than a lot of other places I've lived in my life. I can't really speak to Buffalo since I've never lived there, just visit a lot. But I've heard Buffalo is a very friendly and welcoming city as well. Guess it may depend on what area? I don't know..

Old 10-22-2019, 08:27 AM

384 posts, read 352,671 times
Most places are what you make of them. I find Rochester a very welcoming place and have certainly struck up conversations with strangers around here. It doesn't shock me that the above poster who is constantly negative about Rochester has had poor experiences with people from Rochester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area