Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Inner Loop be torn down?
YES! 7 50.00%
NO! 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:34 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
So you would rather have it ripped up? The land wouldn't have anything built on it for ten years. And I would have to waste my time, and gas getting from one side to the other. I hope you are not for the subway proposal.

And the downtowns have nothing to do with it. The point is to save me time and gas getting from one part of the city to the other.
But the downtowns DO have something to do with it cheese! You've just proven it! The reason Downtown Rochester is considered so un-hip is because of the attitude (caused partly by the Inner Loop) that downtown is a place you should drive to and out of as quickly as possible... not stop and smell the roses or stroll the streets but get on and off the highway conveniently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
It's been a long time coming, but it's really happening! The filling of the Inner Loop was just approved by City Hall and will be done from Broadway to Charlotte streets. I'm not sure why they can't just go up to Main, but this is progress!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 PM

192 posts, read 530,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
So, you would choose to have it be for foot traffic? Would it remain as dreary as it is today? Or would you have it dug up? Again, we are talking about more money... and the ROC doesn't deal well with it's money... sad to say since I love it here so much... but I must admit, once explained a bit further... it would be a nice trade off if you could get the funding and beautify the the area... My only fear is that some of those areas are in a bit sketchy areas to walk/ride alone... I don't ride my bike out to Greece along the canal because of THAT reason alone... I am a woman and wouldn't feel comfortable doing that by myself if there was not a huge amount of traffic.... something to think about...
I feel quite safe on the trail that links Corn Hill with Genesee Valley Park both trails are bordering areas that some people think are sketchy

Old 09-15-2011, 06:10 AM

205 posts, read 456,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
It's been a long time coming, but it's really happening! The filling of the Inner Loop was just approved by City Hall and will be done from Broadway to Charlotte streets. I'm not sure why they can't just go up to Main, but this is progress!!!
It's not *exactly* happening yet. What they approved last Thursday was the initial money for the study and the project to seek federal funds. However, I believe they will get those funds as these types of infrastructure projects are exactly what Washington wants to fund these days. It puts people to work, and it improves our decaying inner-city...

I blogged on this topic recently if anyone cares:

Fill in the Rochester Inner Loop

I am definitely in favor of a partial fill-in. Leave the parts that are really used (West side exit to 490 by Frontier Field - which is raised), but fill in the part that is poorly used and creates a real barrier for what could be a very pleasant strip of city activity (i.e., revenues, quality of life, etc)...

Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Instead of filling it in, why not take advantage of what's there?

Close it off to vehicular traffic and bridge it to a greater extent.

I think it would make a cool skatepark, wall climb, water park, etc. It would be a great tie-in with the Museum of Play.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 AM

Have you seen the skatepark they are trying to get funding for? You should check out the Roc City Skatepark website. They have a pretty cool vision.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:14 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
I guess I was a visionary before my time when I made this topic 3 years ago. And I was only 20 then, how precocious. Shame I'm not in Rochester anymore to take credit for MY idea and see it to completion.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 AM

Come back!!! ;-)

Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdue512 View Post
Have you seen the skatepark they are trying to get funding for? You should check out the Roc City Skatepark website. They have a pretty cool vision.

Yes. I like it. Not something that interests me personally, but anything that add's a coolness factor to Rochester I'm all for.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:54 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
One point of interst regarding the lack of traffic on this end of the Inner Loop is that the eastbound 490 exit was never completed. You have to get off at Goodman St, take Broadway, and then Union St to get on it.

I like the idea of connecting some streets, like Park ave to downtown, but can't we just build the bridges and keep the inner loop below ground. Buildings could be built to strattle the loop so you wouldn't know it's there from the street level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area