U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2007, 07:02 PM

266 posts, read 1,127,814 times

Advertisements

So, honestly, not pulling any punches, how is the winter REALLY in Rochester?

I am coming into this as a fairly tough Canadian girl. I grew up on the prairies where it wasn't unheard of to have -40 weather for a couple of days here and there (although contrary to common knowledge the summer are VERY hot).

Now I do expect some argument, but my parents moved to Ontario where winter is supposedly a little more mild. Well, I was just there and because of the slightly damper environment, it felt JUST AS COLD.

So how is Rochester, really? I want to hear the ugly truth. Not just the "pretty lake effect" snow. Let's hear how much snow there really is to shovel from the driveway, and how often you have to wear boots. Is there wind often? That wind chill can kill you... not to mention the humidity plus cold.... BRRRRR. that feels colder than a Saskatchewan winter.

I am of course willing to put up with winter as a fact of life, as a bit of a sacrifice for a better overall lifestyle... but going up north reminded me how much I DON'T miss snow.

As every area has its nuances for snow clearing etc. I just want to hear it all!! BAD as well as good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 08:04 PM

390 posts, read 1,601,034 times
Default Lately...

Recent winters have been fairly mild, compared to when I lived there. I was born in Rochester, moved away at 13, moved back for college, and away again in 1996. I do go back during the winter to visit family at the holidays and it is really cold. You have the potential of some SERIOUS snow and blizzard like weather, but the last two years have seen minimal snow. This year I think my dad said it has only snowed a few times and has not stuck. My brother plows, but has not done a whole lot lately!

I love the parks, carnivals and festivals, the finger lakes, boating on Lake Ontario, being close to Canada, the seasons, and so much natural beauty only a drive away.

The biggest deterrents for me are crime, taxes, and the cold. The wind chill is bad! The taxes are EXTREMELY high. I cannot afford to pay 6-8,000 a year in taxes!

Old 01-26-2007, 09:05 PM

134 posts, read 486,751 times
One trick you can add to your own research is to check online or on TV for the weather conditions here on a regular basis. Looking at the numbers and comparing them to what your living in now is a good metric.

Last winter was very mild. The previous winter we had lots of snow (snowed every day in January 2005). Several winters ago we had a TON of snow... so much the streets were plowed with bucket loaders. This winter has started out mild but has fallen into the old pattern of really cold & icy with lake effect snow falling regularily (sp). As I write this post at 10pm, it is currently 14 F. Last night it was 4 F. The current forecast is for more of the same.

Sometimes the cold and snow isn't so bad, but we also normally have stretches of weeks with overcast skies and gloom. Then in late winter the skies are blue and the air gets colder! I'm used to it as I have lived here all my life, but it gets boring as I get more years behind me.

Hope that was honest enough for you. Please ask if you need more info.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:42 AM

944 posts, read 3,624,537 times
One thing that happens in Buf/Roc/Syr with some regularity is extreme temperature swings. This is something that people form the plains states can relate to, but if you're not familiar with it, can be quite shocking.

Tuesday could be sunny, low 60's and bam, you wake Wednesday to a foot of snow and temps in the mid-20's with the wind chill pushing towards zero. Although this has happened less in the last years, I remember it happening about 3 or 4 times a year growing up.

March and April can be quite crazy in this regard.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:28 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,960,305 times
The weather has been so up and down in the past few years its hard to say. Growing up, you'd get alot of snow each winter. Not so much now. One thing that does grind my gears is walking in a non plowed/shoveled area and having the snow get inside your shoe,s then your socks are wet for the rest of the day.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:43 AM

944 posts, read 3,624,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The weather has been so up and down in the past few years its hard to say. Growing up, you'd get alot of snow each winter. Not so much now. One thing that does grind my gears is walking in a non plowed/shoveled area and having the snow get inside your shoe,s then your socks are wet for the rest of the day.
That sock/shoe thing reminds me: In February of 2003 is was brutally cold for almost the entire month. I would track snow into my car, the snow would melt, then at night it would freeze. The cycle would repeat everyday: track in snow, snow melts, more water, more freezing.

By the end of that month I had a miniature ice skating rink on the floor of my car.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:33 PM

262 posts, read 1,149,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
When I was a little one, my mother used to make my siblings and I wear wonder bread bags over our socks and under our boots to keep our feet dry! We laugh when we talk about it today but it really worked!

Ahh life in the 70's...love lookin' back!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:06 PM

28 posts, read 105,179 times
Default Winter!!!

The worst part of winter is how long it lasts! Really once November hits it's pretty much winter and Feb and March are usually the coldest and longest. The part that I dislike the most is when you watch a weather report and there is no relief in sight. We have actually taken a month south every winter during Feb for the past 3 years- but not everyone's schedule allows for this.

And the wind chills are terrible with the wind! Not a winter lover here!

Old 01-28-2007, 05:17 PM
zap

1 posts, read 3,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
So, honestly, not pulling any punches, how is the winter REALLY in Rochester?

I've been mulling over this subject for some time now myself. I live in Buffalo and run to Rochester often. I find the weather (read snow) are quite alike. When I compare weather with other places....huracanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, forest fires, mud slides, floods, you get the idea, I come up with this. We get some snow (very little this year), but when it melts, the house is still there, the porch is still there and flowers begin to bloom and all is great. Wait until you smell the lilacs in Rochester. jmo

Old 01-28-2007, 07:40 PM

266 posts, read 1,127,814 times
Thanks for all your replies, everyone. sorry I kind of repeated a previous thread, but I did get some more info!

A good thing about the cold and snow, too, I might add, is that it either kills or doesn't allow for any truly nasty insects... at least I think, unless there is some kind of gross insect in Rochester that I haven't heard of...

BTW, how are the mosquitoes in Rochester? They are terrible in Ontario and Saskatchewan during the summer, and I imagine with that big lake there, the little suckers are pretty numerous. I hate mosquitoes

Last edited by kitty71; 01-28-2007 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: grammatical error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area