Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:13 PM

183 posts, read 521,439 times

Advertisements

I'm 58, female, entirely alone with my dogs. I am a former CEO and a massive white collar crime victim. All of my assets were stolen. I am surviving on Social Security Disability. I am living in my NJ condo that I have sold and the closing will be on October 29th. I want to heal in a newer (so as not to take on repairs) 2000+ square foot home with some charm and a minimum of one acre so as to avoid dog-hating neighbors. I envision it smelling of home made soup as I surround myself with fleece and flannel and do some writing. My needs are simple: a good supermarket, competent veterinarian and decent library. I have looked carefully at Pennsylvania but it appears to be too expensive and taxes are very high. North Carolina is appealing but, too, seems to be more costly than practical in my circumstances. Areas surrounding Greenville South Carolina offer me everything I need but I would be giving up my entire support system in the east. It would be just wonderful to purchase in New York State for not more than $200k. I very much wish to avoid HOAs. Can anyone suggest the best places for me to consider? I like winters, am friendly and get along with most folks everywhere. I want to avoid splits, bi-levels, lack of privacy, any area where I risk a neighbor hating my dogs. I need some degree of charm in the house... not the wood paneled, popcorn ceiling type but more the granite kitchen, open layouts are appealing. Thank you much for any and all info that may accurately guide me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
If you thought the taxes in PA were high, you don't want to know what the NY taxes are.
You can get the home you want in that price range, but the taxes will kill you if that is one of your concerns.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:38 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,734 times
Agree with above poster - the property taxes in this area are insane. That aside, you may have some challenges finding a newer 2000sf on an acre -- but it can be had. You'll just have to do some looking. How close to the city do you want to be? I would highly recommend communities such as Brighton, Fairport, Pittsford, Penfield and Webster. All have what you're looking for, although it may be difficult to find an acre in Brighton as it's closer in. Lots of options that don't involve HOAs. Great supermarket options in all - we have Wegmans here, one of the best supermarket chains in the country. (Originated here.)

If you have trouble finding homes with what you want in the those communities, which are mainly on the eastside, you should be able to find it on the westside suburbs - Greece, Chili, or farther out. I just prefer the eastside as it's more convenient to the areas that I tend to frequent.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:35 PM

79 posts, read 359,286 times
Why don't you just look @ the southern Tier -- South of Rochester Waaay less Expensive houses, Even Hornell (1hr + south of Rochester) has a Wegmans, Corning/ Elmira area. Rural towns outside of Ithaca- lots more space for your dogs.
best of luck

Old 09-02-2008, 07:49 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
if you want land and space look at the outlining areas...
KENDALL, HAMLIN, CLARKSON, HILTON, MACEDON, ONTARIO, PALMYRA, HONEOYE FALLS, PARMA, WALWORTH... just a few to start with

You might be able to find something with more land out in those areas at a more affordable price... driving distance to Rochester... but again... check the taxes...

Old 09-03-2008, 10:01 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
The taxes in PARTS OF PA are lower than the Rochester area, but not in the Philly suburbs area.... your property taxes alone can be as high as $8K and that DOES NOT include the seperate school taxes,etc....
Although my wife and I are huge supporters of Rochester, the issue of your high taxes becomes a heated debate.
The cost of homes in Rochester and it's suburbs is so low that your taxes still don't equal what someone somewhere else has to pay for just a starter home! People have to realize that, even in today's market....
You may own a home in Rochester that cost $200K (with every imaginable upgrade available...) and your taxes may be near $6k or so, but it still doesn't equate what people in other areas such as some areas in CA,CT or the Mid-Atlantic areas pay just for a home.

Again,we will say it over and over, we love Rochester but please, stop the whining about your taxes... try living someplace else with the same home that you own, it is near impossible. Be grateful.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Default The tone of your reply detracts from the special value provided by this website

Your reply contributes volumes to my decision.

Having been researching PA, NC and SC, NEVER other than in your reply, has anyone told me to STOP THE WHINING in response to my having posed a simple and vital query in search of factual information.

It is your sort of unfriendliness and coldness that contributes to New York's unpopular reputation.

All other areas in which I've been researching have reponded warmly to my reasonable questions and have embraced my thorough investigation into what location may best suit my needs. I am a white collar crime victim of proportions larger than those of Enron victims and am forced to cope with considerations that in no way equate to 'whining.'

I would never want to know you, no less be your neighbor. Your response is a deterrent to the value of this most wonderful website.
Sherry

Old 09-03-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
If you thought the taxes in PA were high, you don't want to know what the NY taxes are.
You can get the home you want in that price range, but the taxes will kill you if that is one of your concerns.
Thank you.

With PA being such a large state, the taxes vary but the areas in which I have been looking appear to be comparable to the areas in NY. If I get better value and the benefit of proximity, it's worth consideration anyway.

Thank you!

Old 09-03-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapshoe View Post
Your reply contributes volumes to my decision.

Having been researching PA, NC and SC, NEVER other than in your reply, has anyone told me to STOP THE WHINING in response to my having posed a simple and vital query in search of factual information.

It is your sort of unfriendliness and coldness that contributes to New York's unpopular reputation.

All other areas in which I've been researching have reponded warmly to my reasonable questions and have embraced my thorough investigation into what location may best suit my needs. I am a white collar crime victim of proportions larger than those of Enron victims and am forced to cope with considerations that in no way equate to 'whining.'

I would never want to know you, no less be your neighbor. Your response is a deterrent to the value of this most wonderful website.
Sherry

Oh gosh.... I am so sorry, I was not intending that response to be for you, the OP or your inquiries on the area at all. It was actually intended for others who responded to you and referenced the taxes in WNY. I am so sorry, I would never want to offend anyone and was truly,truly not meaning to direct that to you at all.
My wife and I are originally from Rochester and we love the area, we just tire of hearing the residents always complain about the taxes there when we feel that you have to look at it as a whole... the housing prices,taxes,etc... all together.
It seems to be a constant thing with everyone in Western ,NY thinking that they pay outrageous taxes (which we are not arguing either, it is merely the facts...)but... other areas pay higher taxes and have higher costs of living ,in general.
Again, please accept my apologies as my post was not to offend you (or anyone for that matter)
I wish you much luck and do hope that you find something in Rochester, we have tried to come back many,many times and just haven't been fortunate enough to be able to do so. I am so sorry for what you have experienced and certainly wouldn't want to come across as an uncaring individual.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:31 PM

I needed to add............ again............ we feel that YES the taxes are incredibly high in Rochester,but when I say we need to look at it as a whole.. the cost of the homes,the QUALITY OF LIFE in Rochester! wow! you can't argue it. You can get anywhere in the city (for the most part) within 20-25minutes ,the commutes are minimal for people choosing to live in the outer suburbs,there are SO many positives that for us (who commute 75 miles ONE WAY ,EVERY DAY to work...) it seems that to much time is spent focusing on the negatives of the area...
ROchester is a beautiful city with much to offer a varied group of people.
So again, please do not judge from my post as it merely was a statement for people to try to look at the good of the area. Many places have it worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area