Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:09 PM

260 posts, read 977,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
I think it would be more meaningful if they told what kinds of jobs were created or lost...I think if we lost 5,000 bartending/cashier jobs but gained 3,000 engineer jobs, then the 2,000 job loss would really be a net positive for the region's economy.
haha yeah could not agree more. I wish they went more in depth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 05:41 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,084 times
Quote:
I think it would be more meaningful if they told what kinds of jobs were created or lost...I think if we lost 5,000 bartending/cashier jobs but gained 3,000 engineer jobs, then the 2,000 job loss would really be a net positive for the region's economy.
True! however,speaking as an Engineer who has tried for 7 years to get a job in Rochester, unfortunately, I don't see that as the case.
I should say, an Engineering job that pays me what the market standard is and a decent relocation package. They aren't going to get people to the area if the companies aren't even willing to foot the bill for the move.
Sad but true as we are former Rochestarians who have many family and friends still there,but we aren't going to take a cut in our salary AND have to pay for our complete move either.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:22 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
True! however,speaking as an Engineer who has tried for 7 years to get a job in Rochester, unfortunately, I don't see that as the case.
I should say, an Engineering job that pays me what the market standard is and a decent relocation package. They aren't going to get people to the area if the companies aren't even willing to foot the bill for the move.
Sad but true as we are former Rochestarians who have many family and friends still there,but we aren't going to take a cut in our salary AND have to pay for our complete move either.
Yeah, I wasn't saying that was the case, just that it would be more meaningful. I know a lot of engineers from the big local firms and they seem to have no problems filling the positions in their firms, so I imagine a combination of the glut of RIT grads in the area and there being more people willing to make a sacrifice to move back to Rochester is affecting you. I make the assumption you are something along the lines of a mechanical engineer, because there is a lot more demand for good software and electrical engineers.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:09 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY View Post
Rochester area loses 7,100 jobs in past 12 months
Click^

This is not a friendly number. Though our economy is doing bad is our defense. I would also like to know how many of those jobs are retirees.

The plus side of this is(If you can call it a plus) the Rochester-area unemployment rate is 5.7 and the national unemployment rate 6.1 so we are just as bad as anywhere else in the nation. I wonder how many jobs Buffalo or syracuse lost? I bet more but I am going on history, Rochester has always been better off economically.
I agree with the retirees statement, but only if the job was not refilled.

It brings up a good point, two union dominated companies in the Rochester area, Delphi and Valeo continue to downsize. Both make products primarily for GM. The automotive companies have been making buyout deals for a few years now with the laborers.
Valeo is pretty much already gone, but if you see the facility from Lyle or the i490 it looks other companies have moved in. Delphi continues to downsize in the US but NY got lucky, the Lockport, Rochester and Henrietta facilities stayed open.
I suspect there are alot of lost jobs due to Delphi/Valeo, they were at one point huge manufacturing centers.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't saying that was the case, just that it would be more meaningful. I know a lot of engineers from the big local firms and they seem to have no problems filling the positions in their firms, so I imagine a combination of the glut of RIT grads in the area and there being more people willing to make a sacrifice to move back to Rochester is affecting you. I make the assumption you are something along the lines of a mechanical engineer, because there is a lot more demand for good software and electrical engineers.

I am a graduate of RIT, proudly! You are correct in your assumption as my masters is in Mechanical Engineering. I have worked primarily for pharm companies...

We have thought long and hard about making the salary sacrafice as the cost of living is much lower in general in the Rochester area. (in comparison to where we are living) however, to not be offered even a slight relo package is a large burden financially. We have moved within the state we live in and it has cost us over $10k to do on our own, to move from the mid-atlantic to Rochester could very well cost over $20K and that,we are not willing to do, at least,not now.
So it is a toss up.
Good to see some people are doing well in the area and can prosper!

We hope to be back there someday!

Last edited by NYMD67; 09-28-2008 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: needed to add...

Old 09-28-2008, 07:41 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Quote:
from the NYSDOL website.... New York State Department of Labor - Workforce Industry Data

Private sector employment in the Rochester metropolitan area declined 4,700, or 1.1 percent, over the year to 433,200 in August 2008. Employment gains occurred in educational and health services (+2,000). Declines were widespread, affecting manufacturing (-3,000), trade, transportation and utilities (-1,500), professional and business services (-600), financial activities (-500), leisure and hospitality (-500) and construction (-400). Government employment (-2,400) declined over the year.

Can't complain too much that government employment went down by 2400 though. haha

Old 09-29-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
from the NYSDOL website.... New York State Department of Labor - Workforce Industry Data

Private sector employment in the Rochester metropolitan area declined 4,700, or 1.1 percent, over the year to 433,200 in August 2008. Employment gains occurred in educational and health services (+2,000). Declines were widespread, affecting manufacturing (-3,000), trade, transportation and utilities (-1,500), professional and business services (-600), financial activities (-500), leisure and hospitality (-500) and construction (-400). Government employment (-2,400) declined over the year.

Can't complain too much that government employment went down by 2400 though. haha
Thanks for the extra information. That explains a little more, but still not enough. For instance, professional and business services can be anything from an administrative assistant to Executive VP of Xerox.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I am a graduate of RIT, proudly! You are correct in your assumption as my masters is in Mechanical Engineering. I have worked primarily for pharm companies...

We have thought long and hard about making the salary sacrafice as the cost of living is much lower in general in the Rochester area. (in comparison to where we are living) however, to not be offered even a slight relo package is a large burden financially. We have moved within the state we live in and it has cost us over $10k to do on our own, to move from the mid-atlantic to Rochester could very well cost over $20K and that,we are not willing to do, at least,not now.
So it is a toss up.
Good to see some people are doing well in the area and can prosper!

We hope to be back there someday!
I wish you good luck in getting back. I didn't mean any offense by it, just stating the facts and trying to give you an explanation why people may not be offering an equivalent package to what you have seen or expected.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I wish you good luck in getting back. I didn't mean any offense by it, just stating the facts and trying to give you an explanation why people may not be offering an equivalent package to what you have seen or expected.

Oh no, none taken!
Thanks!

Old 10-11-2008, 04:15 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,282 times
Well, I fled due to a very poor economic situation, higher crime than I could take and the fact that nothing is being kept up. It was tough leaving home, but I found greener pastures in North Carolina. Good luck to anyone that stayed. This winter is going to be brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area