Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,197 times

Advertisements

Hello, my son is strongly considering U of R for college. We both thought the school was great and the campus is terrific. I was worried though about the surrounding areas. Around Strong Memeorial there seems to be a lot of activity and neighborhoods appear reasonably safe. On the other hand, the areas directly across the river, and going up both sides of the river towards downtown, seem run-down and potentially dangerous, including some areas that are pretty close to campus. Do you think a student is safe on campus walking around after dark? How about when visiting some of the neighboring parts of the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 12:08 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
East of the River, where the univesity of Rochester main campus is located, is as you said, a very safe and nice neighborhood. But you are also right that accross the river from campus is the 19th ward...not exactly the nicest place. They are trying to gentrify that area by totally redeveloping a peice of land right accross the river from the university known as Brooks Landing which looks like it may be promising. I think the overwhelming majority of students at UofR live ON campus, atleast for their freshman year; and if they do move off campus they tend to go to the very hip and safe Park Avenue area of the city.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:21 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
well I'm in my third year at UR and a week ago I would have told you that it's safe... but then my bicycle was stolen on campus in broad daylight! If he brings a bike tell him to bring a cheap one.

Going across the river is something he will probably do at some point... there are good parties across the river. If you trust your son to be safe and always travel with a group you have nothing to worry about, and have him leave his beautiful $500 bike that he's had since high school at home... I wish I had.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,197 times
Thanks for the responses! Sorry about your bike, juppiter. I have just been reading old editions of the campus times on-line. It seems it is not unusual for "minor" crimes to happen on campus, mostly theft but also an occasional assault or mugging. What was particularly disturbing to me were reports of theft in the library; someone gets up to hit the john or something, leaving their stuff on a desk or table, and when they get back in 5 or 10 minutes it's all gone. The attitude of some is that it's largely the victim's fault for leaving their things unattended, but to me it's a real shame if you can't park your bike (locked!) or leave your things for a minute to walk around the library without getting ripped off.

PS - compareing my "reputation number" (10) to I'minformed2 (705!) it looks like I have a lot of work to do in the credibility department (ha-ha)

Old 09-24-2008, 01:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
lol..i've also been positng on this forum for over 2 years and have a few thousand posts....dont fret, I started out with just a few posts and low repuation too.

And in all reality, minor thefts and assaults happen on ALL college campuses. UofR is a private univirsity that is surrounded on three sides by water and has a guarded entry gate on the other side. No more dangerous than most universities and probably safer than many public universities where anyone can walk or drive in from outside.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:09 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
Yea, those types of crimes happen on all college campuses. I remember friends having their rooms broken into at SUNY Plattsburgh with thousands of dollars worth of stuff taken. And that school was in a pretty rural area.
When ever you have a college, you are going to have people taking advantage of college kids.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:44 PM

75 posts, read 340,678 times
I'm a senior at UR, and I have never had any problems with crime. I do know people, though, that have had their laptops/books/backpacks stolen from them after leaving them unattended for a short period of time in the library. Your son will be fine if:

--He does not leave his stuff unattended
--He goes in groups off campus, especially at night

On campus, your son will be very safe. I've walked alone at night for years and have never had any problems.

Off campus, your son will also be safe as long as he avoids being alone at night. I live in the new apartments across the river from campus on Plymouth Avenue, and I can say that the area is, for the most part, safe.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:36 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbertol2 View Post
I'm a senior at UR, and I have never had any problems with crime. I do know people, though, that have had their laptops/books/backpacks stolen from them after leaving them unattended for a short period of time in the library. Your son will be fine if:

--He does not leave his stuff unattended
--He goes in groups off campus, especially at night

On campus, your son will be very safe. I've walked alone at night for years and have never had any problems.

Off campus, your son will also be safe as long as he avoids being alone at night. I live in the new apartments across the river from campus on Plymouth Avenue, and I can say that the area is, for the most part, safe.
Dude! I also live at Riverview! Which building are you in? I'm in building C

Old 10-14-2008, 07:31 PM

75 posts, read 340,678 times
Hey--I'm in Building A. Sorry it took so long to respond, I haven't been checking the forum too much lately. I'm a chemistry major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area