U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 07:03 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,897,551 times

Advertisements

Thoughts on this? Most of my family came from the same neighborhoods as these men did and when the topic of the mafia comes up, its a much different conversation than discussions about modern gangs. Some family members and people from my old neighborhood didn't seem to mind some of these people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 07:27 AM

28 posts, read 68,247 times
Garmin, I grew up on a ranch in Texas, most of the people I knew there still believe that the mafia is a fantasy. There are "mob bosses" every where. Some just are better at covering it up than others.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:35 PM

8,162 posts, read 13,661,166 times
I've run into this as well.Living on long island it was not uncommon to constantly rub elbows with the Gotti family and they were like everyone else. A nod while passing or 'how ya' doin' was a mutual respect from an individual to another unlike the modern gangs trying to steal from anyone when the opportunity arises.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:11 PM

944 posts, read 3,608,759 times
Sorry, I have no sympathy for criminal activity. I work with someone in Florida who fled Rochester specifically because their business could not proceed without being personally, physically threatened. I'm not impressed with people who admire them either. I know someone who uncovered a body in a wall in Rochester during a renovation. I don't believe mobsters provide the same due process as the state. Some of you may find this exciting, but it's straight thug, no different than your local drug dealer.

There is right and wrong. I don't care if you're state police, a baker, a landlord... doing business through force and intimidation should neither be admired nor respected.

And yes Garmin, I have friends whose parents have been investigated by the FBI. They don't think it's all that cool, and in fact find it quite embarassing.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:33 PM

I've found that the younger people that glorify whole lifestyle are the ones that have never had contact with people affected by the mob. Lots of these people brag about knowing a friend of a friend who's uncle's dog walker knew a guy in the mafia and it baffles me.
For the older people, I guess I can see their point of view. Many of them grew up together or watched them grow up. There is some sort of bond. But I see Muggy's point of view that its no excuse to give them a free pass. Crime is crime.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:19 PM

944 posts, read 3,608,759 times
I really had no opinion until I met this person in Florida. It was funny - it began like every other WNY'er identifying another through the accent. This person has had an amazing life and their story is the kind that should be published. Anyway, they had a business that got "too big."

I've just seen the other side, that's all. It's more than wise-crackin', well-dressed Italian dudes in suits. You don't have to be thug to be a respectable leader of the community. Golisano comes to mind.

Anyway, some of my friends still think it's great but then get freaked out when the feds show up. Hello? It's a real criminal enterprise, not some awesome Pacino flick. I'm not sure what people find so alluring. I see the same kind of idiocy in Florida with regard to maritime drug-running.

We should probably have a thread of mob history of Rochester. People don't realize that it was a serious hub of activity.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:45 AM

Yea, the history is pretty interesting from what I've read and the stories I've heard from family. There are a couple web sites out there but they all seem to repeat eachother. I'd like to see a different perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or