Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 08:33 PM

7 posts, read 23,374 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the Rochester area in 2009 and looking at Brighton, Penfield, Fairport, and maybe, if I can afford it, Pittsford.
Penfield and Fairport both have large single high schools and I wonder if there is any expectation of second h.s.'s needing to be created. I ask because it seems like Penfield has a lot of newer developments. That's based on the listings and only a cursory observation as I drove around.

I added Fairport to the subject because the same question could be asked there. But I also wonder whether anyone could compare the two districts for me. My understanding is that both have excellent elementary schools. What's the feeling for middle and high schools? My nieces went to Penfield and think it's better than Fairport (!); a friend teaches at Fairport and thinks the students relate better to adults at Fairport HS. Fairport had a great principal just retire, but I read about a very active parent assoc. in Penfield (that battled the math program we have in our Boston suburb), so I guess I feel that the communities have a commitment to education, and just have super big schools which can create problems. As background, I'm worried about the competitive aspect of Brighton schools, since my daughter doesn't do well in that kind of environment, but I'll look there as well. (I grew up in Brighton). Pittsford is probably too expensive.

While I'm here, are you expecting fewer house listings in the spring - are people worried about the recession and trying to sell now?

thanks for any comments and info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 06:26 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
I am an FHS Grad and live in the Penfield School District. They both are rather large and there has been discussion for years of breaking Fairport into two buildings... it won't happen. I am 31 and it has been in discussion since I was a teen. Don't bet on it. It is a very tight community and that would break it up and the community would fight it. Fairport IS a large school. I graduated with a class of over 500 and I know the class sizes have grown since I graduated. But from what I remember and understand from kids graduating today, and parents and teacher... it doesn't hinder education. It is a fab school and community... I loved growing up there. Penfield is second in my opinion. I like it here. I love my daughter's elementary school and think they do a great job... but the community isn't as close knit and they don't do as many amazing community functions. I would put Fairport first and THEN Penfield. But I don't get me wrong... I live in Penfield... I like Penfield... but I am always trying to get home to Fairport.... if only I can find that perfect house....lol....taxes are cheaper in Fpt (perinton) and you get Fairport Electric... what's not to like?????

Old 10-25-2008, 08:28 AM

Thanks, skbs, this is very helpful. My daughter has cousins in the Penfield schools so I thought I would look for a house there first but the likelihood of landing in the same elementary school is a bit iffy. And other relatives are in Fairport and love it. I'm glad to hear that you loved growing up there. It's so much easier to relocate without school-age kids!

Old 10-25-2008, 10:55 AM

260 posts, read 977,513 times
How are those Penfield bomb threats? Back when I was in high school I had a girl friend that went to Penfield and they had a bomb threat at least 3 times a month.

Oh yes, I am a Fairport graduate and it is a very close knit community. I knew all my 600 classmates by name.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY View Post
How are those Penfield bomb threats? Back when I was in high school I had a girl friend that went to Penfield and they had a bomb threat at least 3 times a month.

Oh yes, I am a Fairport graduate and it is a very close knit community. I knew all my 600 classmates by name.
Uh... no bomb threats here... there was a time about 7-8 years ago when the kids went through a sick phase... I was teaching then and the middle school I was teaching at was actually in the news for doing it at least once a day for a week and a half... so I know what you are talking about... but it isn't a common thing... at all...

Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What about Webster, which actually has two high schools and seems to be a growing community in the Rochester area?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:28 PM

I like Webster but thought I would start in the towns where I have family. I put 100 miles on my car when I come home to Roch just driving Fairport-Penfield-Brighton-city Browncroft area visiting them. I'd certainly consider it, and didn't realize they have 2 h.s.'s. Thank you.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:32 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
If your family lives in Fairport, Brighton, Penfield, and the Browncroft area of the City....then you would be most centrally located in either NE Brighton or in Penfield. If I'm not mistaken, that area of Brighton actually goes to Penfield schools....or maybe it's vice versa?

Old 10-28-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
If your family lives in Fairport, Brighton, Penfield, and the Browncroft area of the City....then you would be most centrally located in either NE Brighton or in Penfield. If I'm not mistaken, that area of Brighton actually goes to Penfield schools....or maybe it's vice versa?
I think this might be confusing....no offense Informed...

Fairport goes to Fairport Schools -but YES some northern parts of PERINTON will go to PENFIELD Schools- I am not sure the exact cut off but I know it somewhere around Eagle Vale on Rt 250 and the intersection of Carter and Salt on Rt 441 and Baird Rd and Rt 441... IF that helps...And some of the LARGE MANSION FACTORIES actually have some kids in the neighborhoods that go to FPT and PNFD in the same 'hood....

Brighton goes to BRIGHTON SCHOOLS

PENFIELD goes to Penfield Schols

YES parts of Brighton are in Penfield... certain parts of North East Brighton.... East of East Ave (the other side of 490)... (Near Indian Landing Elementary School- Penfield School District)

Old 10-28-2008, 03:30 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
hmmm...I think we both sound confusing lol. But we were both saying the same thing. Northeast Brighton goes to Penfield Schools. My point on mentioning that was because Northeast Brighton would be centrally located for where the OP's relative live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area