Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 12,913 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to dig up some info. on the cancelled 390 project... apparently 390 was not supposed to wrap around the city, but continue north parallelling S. Clinton Ave and ending up downtown, but the Swillburg neighborhood fought it as the expressway would have more or less wiped out their part of the city.

Might our lack of a north-south interstate into the city be a part of the slow but sure demise of downtown ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 04:41 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
I used to have a map of some of these expressways. Apparently 104 was going to be an expressway through Greece also. RT 204 was going to be a larger expressway to the Airport and 531 was to be longer.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:24 PM

118 posts, read 626,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaolivieri View Post
I've been trying to dig up some info. on the cancelled 390 project... apparently 390 was not supposed to wrap around the city, but continue north parallelling S. Clinton Ave and ending up downtown, but the Swillburg neighborhood fought it as the expressway would have more or less wiped out their part of the city.

Might our lack of a north-south interstate into the city be a part of the slow but sure demise of downtown ??

Have you seen this:

Northward extension blocked

Construction on I-390 from Dansville north was blocked by environmental legislation was scheduled for 1975-1976, but blocked by environmental legislation. [4]
Brian W. Campbell writes: "Interstate 390 was supposed to have continued north... running parallel to Clinton Avenue up to Interstate 490 at Goodman Street. Original plans have interchanges at Elmwood and Clinton Avenues. Along 490 between Goodman Ave and Clinton Ave downtown, there is a wide patch of land parallel to the current 490 which would have been feeder lanes for 390. The project was cancelled in the 1970s, as it would have destroyed one of Rochester's nicer neighborhoods (Swillburg/South Wedge)."
The Rochester city council opposed the northward extension, and it was cancelled. I-390 was rerouted to meet intersect I-490 west of the city. This portion of I-390, together with I-590 east of the city and their state-numbered counterparts extending north of I-490, were formerly numbered NY 47 and named the "Outer Loop" in distinction to downtown's "Inner Loop".

also another interesting website: http://www.myseac.org/history.htm

and http://www.rochestercityliving.com/Neighborhoods/Swillburg/ (broken link)

Last edited by MovesAlot; 10-26-2008 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-26-2008, 05:59 PM

Default yes I have

yes I had stumbled across that info. .... I was wondering if there were any old photos and/or news articles from that time period regarding this project's cancellation. Thanks

Old 10-26-2008, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 14,966 times
That expressway would have been a disaster for the city -- especially since I lived in the South Wedge. It doesnt take much longer to travel up to 490 with todays configuration. Rochester, IMO, doesnt need any more expressways it needs some nice neighborhoods and thats what exactly would have been destroyed with a 390 expansion. Look at the Cross Bronx Expressway, it literaly ripped neighborhoods in two the whole length of the highway and the Bronx is not better off because of it at all (bad air pollution for one). Or take a look at the Inner Loop, that expressway did the same thing that an expanded 390 would have done. It broke apart neighborhoods and forever changed the landscape, again Not for the better. In hence it separated downtown from the rest of the city and definitely could be considered a factor in the slow but sure demise of downtown.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:01 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripja View Post
That expressway would have been a disaster for the city -- especially since I lived in the South Wedge. It doesnt take much longer to travel up to 490 with todays configuration. Rochester, IMO, doesnt need any more expressways it needs some nice neighborhoods and thats what exactly would have been destroyed with a 390 expansion. Look at the Cross Bronx Expressway, it literaly ripped neighborhoods in two the whole length of the highway and the Bronx is not better off because of it at all (bad air pollution for one). Or take a look at the Inner Loop, that expressway did the same thing that an expanded 390 would have done. It broke apart neighborhoods and forever changed the landscape, again Not for the better. In hence it separated downtown from the rest of the city and definitely could be considered a factor in the slow but sure demise of downtown.
You are so right! I don't think an expressway ever "helped" an American downtown. To the contrary, they are what led to the development of the suburbs and the decentralization of retail, commerce and entertainment.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:15 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Syracuse is talking about tearing down a portion of !-81 that run through the middle of the city. It has been seen as a psychological barrier between Syracuse University and Downtown Syracuse, in which it pretty much splits the city in two and killed some close knit neighborhoods in that area. So, it might have been a good thing that this expressway wasn't built.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:33 PM

Default evidence of work before cancellation

Now I know why there's those useless parking lots along Broadway, parallel to 490... those would have been the lanes leading to 390 south.

Also the 2 on-ramps from South Ave. to 490 east makes sense... the ramp to the far right was meant to be an onramp to 390 south I'll bet !

Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 AM

5 posts, read 6,840 times
Now, in 2014, the city finally got funding to eliminate a key section of the Inner Loop, from Clinton to University, reconnecting downtown to the thriving East End and creating almost 10 acres of prime real estate.. They are also planning to convert South Ave and Clinton Ave back to 2 way streets. That mess of 490 ramps (further complicated because they built for the 390 downtown section that got cancelled) complicates the conversion back to 2 way, and forms a psychological and, for bikes and pedestrians physical, barrier between the thriving South Wedge and downtown. Some still believe that more expressways downtown would have helped the economy - but I think most cities have come to believe that's not the case.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:25 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,093,071 times
I agree that it would have damaged Swillburg, but the extra 10 miles to get to downtown is a huge waste of gas when downtown is so close. A tunnel would work, although costly, but they are considering a tunnel in Syracuse for the I-81 project. I believe the never completed innerloop was to be the northern connection for 390. BTW, while I'm excited about the new neighborhood connections when they take the innerloop out, I believe they should keep the IL and bridge over the top, either preserving the IL and or keeping it for such things as underground parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area