Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 12:07 AM

161 posts, read 489,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agru View Post
We moved from Rochester (Brighton) five and a half years ago to San Antonio, TX.

Have never regretted it!
Thanks for your response.
We are looking at San Antonio as one of the places we would like to re-locate to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 05:19 AM

9 posts, read 39,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annken View Post
Thanks for your response.
We are looking at San Antonio as one of the places we would like to re-locate to.
Well, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. you can contact me directly at april-g at satx dot rr dot com.

Cheers!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:15 AM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
My family moved to Florida for jobs. We are eventually going to move back.

All, and I mean all, of my friends left Rochester in the late 90's early 00's. Most went to NYC or Boston, a few went to L.A., S.F., Colorado, etc. Most of them remember Rochester fondly, but have made a life elsewhere.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 PM

226 posts, read 312,004 times
I moved from the Rochester to Texas. I'm in the hurricane zone and plan on moving to the Austin area hopefully soon. Don't miss the Rochester winters nor the cloudy skies for most of the year at all. People are pretty friendly here. Strangers treat you like they have always known you.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx08 View Post
I moved from the Rochester to Texas. I'm in the hurricane zone and plan on moving to the Austin area hopefully soon. Don't miss the Rochester winters nor the cloudy skies for most of the year at all. People are pretty friendly here. Strangers treat you like they have always known you.
Where is the "hurricane zone" in Texas?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 AM

81 posts, read 230,528 times
I moved from Rochester to the Philly area when I was 26. Spent 7 years down there then moved to Phoenix, Scottsdale specifically.

My only regret is that I didn't move to Phoenix the day I turned 18.

God I love it here.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,490,960 times
We moved from Rochester about 11 yrs ago, due to my husband's job relo...
At first I had a very difficult time being away from our family & friends and missing where I grew up..
Now, we still miss our family & friends of course, however,after living in the mid-atlantic for all of these years now, we have gotten use to our mild winters ,longer Summers and just sunnier weather in general.. My husband especially.
When we go back to Rochester every Summer and during the holidays,we love being there,but it always looks so old and run down to us now.
I would still say, if given the chance,we would move back (at least I would!).
My husband actually has looked for the past 10yrs or so for jobs and has found nothing that will pay close to his salary, we have decided to stop looking now and just enjoy our time there when we are able to get back.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annken View Post
Where is the "hurricane zone" in Texas?
Anywhere on the Gulf coast.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Anywhere on the Gulf coast.
Thanks for the reply. It's consistent with the info I'm finding as I research.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:51 PM

355 posts, read 869,050 times
I'm moving to Seattle. It has many advantages over Rochester such as no state income tax, a milder winter, and the scenery (Mountains, the Puget Sound, lots and lots of Evergreen trees) is truly spectacular. Also the salmon and access to extremely fresh seafood is quite a treat for someone coming from Rochester. Let me tell you, if you think Bristol Mountain or anything in the Adirondacks is big, wait until you see Mt. Rainier with your own eyes for the first time. Pictures do not do that volcano justice.

Downtown Seattle is alive and vibrant on the weekend, unlike here in Rochester. The Space needle and Pike Place Market draw many tourists. And if you ever have the desire to visit Alaska, cruise ships depart right from the city!

Mass transit is also better in Seattle. They have implemented hybrid buses, and are currently constructing a new light rail. They have carpool lanes on the highways. Many roadways have clearly marked bicycle lanes on the sides of them.

Wegmans and Tops are replaced by a variety of grocery stores, namely Safeway, QFC, and Albertsons. Safeway is the closest thing Seattle has to Wegmans. The grocery stores in Seattle actually sell wine!

Now it is true that the housing on the west coast is much more expensive than in Rochester. Also in Seattle, gasoline and the sales tax are slightly higher. But the property taxes are much lower, again there is no state income tax, and generally the wages are a little higher. Overall, Seattle "The Emerald City" is a solid choice for anyone looking to relocate from the Flower city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area