Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 01:53 PM

5 posts, read 11,776 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am currently in Oklahoma City looking to relocate to the Rochester area. I need help finding the best area for my kind of lifestyle. I'm a single mom so a good school is a must. I am not a party animal but do want something city with quick access to shopping, parks, gyms, churches, nail shops, museums, restaurants, etc. I have no family or friends there so I'd like easy access to public transportation for a back up....work at home so no commute worries except taking my daughter to school. I would like to live in a well mixed area also not just all white or all black. I would look to live in an apt. probably for the 1st 6 months or so and I do have one pet (a cat) Any suggestions ? Also any suggestions of good neighborhoods with apartment living ?

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 03:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,543,105 times
Brighton sounds like the perfect fit for you. Excellent, nationally ranked, schools; very close to the city and its amenities (great parks, restaurants, etc,), and fairly diverse. I'm not really sure about apartments around there but I'm sure there are others who have lived in that town who could point you in the right direction

Old 12-29-2008, 04:31 PM

92,147 posts, read 122,387,927 times
What about the Park Ave. or East Ave. areas of the city? What about Swillburg, Charlotte or the East End?

Old 12-29-2008, 04:37 PM

Thank you. I'll check it out.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 PM

92,147 posts, read 122,387,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut77 View Post
Wow, these are really helpful. I should find what I need in these links.

Thanks !
No problem....

Old 01-07-2009, 05:10 AM

8 posts, read 43,235 times
Take a look at Greece, I grew up in Pittsford and there are snobish people there. I had a better experience in Greece on the West side, more things to do in my opinion. The further West you are from the city the newer and nicer the homes are. Schools are excellent. My brother got accepted at Navy Academy from Greece schools. Not everyone is a car mechanic in Greece or in the mafia (lots of Italians in Greece)

Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,835,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briknope View Post
Take a look at Greece, I grew up in Pittsford and there are snobish people there. I had a better experience in Greece on the West side, more things to do in my opinion. The further West you are from the city the newer and nicer the homes are. Schools are excellent. My brother got accepted at Navy Academy from Greece schools. Not everyone is a car mechanic in Greece or in the mafia (lots of Italians in Greece)
I second this......lived in OK (SW) for part of my childhood.... you might like Greece best/Hilton Schools..... I would suggest..... Best of luck.....

Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Thanks for all of the good info I'm carefully weighing all of my options. I've read other responses on the boards regarding the Pittsford snob issue from different people. It's sounds like a safe community but the last thing I want is to live around snobbish people, can't be too far on either end of the spectrum. I'm craving what OK & TX lack, culture and diversity, a place with lots of art, museums and food. TX is not as boring as OK though but the sweltering summers are almost unbearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area