Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 01:58 AM

4 posts, read 7,863 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a grad student in CA applying to U of R for a PhD. I have 2 dogs, one large one medium. I'd like to live alone if at all possible. A) How much would this cost me - a small house or duplex with access to a yard? and B) Which neighborhoods are safest with a reasonable (under 20 minutes) commuting distance? Thanks in advance to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 09:01 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
You want to rent???? don't want to assume anything....... The dogs might be the biggest issue.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:55 AM

51 posts, read 171,616 times
No might about it, the dogs WILL be the biggest issue. Although when I lived in the city it seemed everyone around me had a dog, so it IS possible to find a place with them. Just be prepared to pay extra...

If you stay east of the river you should be OK right around the campus. East of South and south of Elmwood are both good neighborhoods, with the dogs (especially the large one) you should be fine.

I lived on Oakland Street (it runs parallel to South) a few years ago and, even when the neighborhood was having problems, I didn't have any once I "inherited" my German Shepard. Avoid the bars and any troublemakers won't have enough liquid courage in them to start anything with someone walking with a couple of dogs...

Of course, if you can afford it, Brighton and Henrietta will be safer still and well within your 20 minute commute range. Chili and Scottsville will also be within your commute range as well - and probably cheaper (not as cheap as the city though). However, you will have an even bigger problem finding a place that will accept the dogs and the neighborhood may not be as accepting of them either (I never had a problem walking my dog in the city, but I had lots of neighbors yell at me when I walked my dog in Henrietta - and yes, I pick up after my dog).

As for what it may cost? That depends on if you choose city or suburb and how easy your landlord is on dogs. Not as familiar with rents in the city, but I'll guess $600 to $1,000 depending on location. I rent out my house in Henrietta (I already have a tenant) for $1100, but that's probably a little low for someone willing to allow dogs.

If you can get a mortgage, buying may not be a bad option for you (consult your attorney and accountant, blah, blah, blah) - especially with the dogs. You will build equity and not have to worry about paying extra for the dogs. Rochester doesn't have the real estate swings that the rest of the country has, so you are somewhat insulated if you have to sell in a bad market once you graduate (although if you're buying now, you're probably buying low anyway).

Old 01-06-2009, 08:51 AM

21 posts, read 66,135 times
I agree with dj uno buying is an option to be considered in rochester
you can get a nice house for around 100k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area