Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 PM

14 posts, read 35,574 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm going to be moving to Rochester area sometime in March or April. I was wondering a few things one, I just recently achieved my AA in IT of Science and was wondering how the job market for IT currently is at the moment for a recent college grad.

Next I've been looking on Apartments.com for places to live and was wondering if some people could give me an insight on the crime rate in the following areas: Woodlawn St., Andover St., and East Ridge Road.

If there is any other places that could be better I'm all ears. I'm currently living in Maine and the job market for IT for entry to college grads is not too good. I'm looking for a 2-3 bedroom for around what I pay now which is $750 but I'm willing to go up to $850 if the place is right.

I'm looking for a family type area to raise my 4 year daughter. Also a place where my wife can also find a job in her field of Criminal Justice or weddings and portrait photography.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 10:04 PM

169 posts, read 474,520 times
I would consider the following city neighborhoods where you are likely to find a solid apartment in your price range: (1) North Winton Village area (along the Winton corridor on the east side - stay east of Culver Road); (2) Elwanger-Barry (also known as Highland - this is in the 14620 zip code - the streets south of Linden Street are best - very family oriented; (3) Swillburg - next to Elwanger-Barry to the east; (4) Upper Monroe area - the streets along MOnroe Avenue east of 490 or thereabouts.

Woodlawn Street can be rough as can most of the streets immediately south of Monroe Avenue and west of 490. The streets to the North of Monroe are greatr but they are not very family-oriented - a lot of college kids and empty nesters.

You should also consider suburbs such as Brighton and Fairport especially since your daughter will be of school age soon. The suburbs have excellent schools while most city schools (not all) leave something to be desired. The truth is you are not likely to find a three bedroom house for $750-$850 in Brighton or Fairport but it's possible to land an apartment in a c omplex in that range (I think). .

Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 AM

8 posts, read 43,213 times
Stay away from the city, do no go to the city unless you have to like for work. Stay in the suburbs. An apartment can easily be found for your price range on either the west side or the east side. There are pockets within the city that are ok, but the trash always overflows into them if you get my drift...Check out Greece...west of Long Pond Road is nice.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:57 PM

14 posts, read 35,574 times
Ok thanks for more insight. I've begun looking on apartments.com in the southeast and southwest monroe county area along Brighton and Highland. I see there is a lot of places for rent in East Rochester is that viewed as bad as Rochester? Or is that more on the outskits of the city in a better area?

Also how is Pittsford for an area and the Webster area?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 PM

91,994 posts, read 122,078,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike081983 View Post
Ok thanks for more insight. I've begun looking on apartments.com in the southeast and southwest monroe county area along Brighton and Highland. I see there is a lot of places for rent in East Rochester is that viewed as bad as Rochester? Or is that more on the outskits of the city in a better area?

Also how is Pittsford for an area and the Webster area?
East Rochester is a more working class and affordable Eastern suburban village, surrounded by some of the nicest suburbs in the area. Pittsford is arguably the most affluent suburb of the Rochester area. Webster is an Eastern suburb too and is nice as well.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 PM

205 posts, read 455,074 times
I'd strongly consider the city neighborhoods mentioned above. Less driving. Old charm. Urban lifestyle (which is more healthy).

Old 01-10-2009, 04:35 PM

8 posts, read 43,213 times
Rochester NY is New York's murder capitol, so based on that fact alone I would stay out of the city.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:12 PM

57 posts, read 198,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briknope View Post
Rochester NY is New York's murder capitol, so based on that fact alone I would stay out of the city.
Many areas of the city are perfectly safe.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:18 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,534,656 times
That and...Buffalo has actually taken that title from us. Stay out of the zipcodes 14621, 14611, 14605, 14619, most of 14613 and you really don't have anything to worry about. 14607, 14620, 14610, 14612 and most of 14609 are fine. (I think I covered pretty much every zipcode within the city limits? Except downtown which is 14604 but there isn't much residential space there anyways)

Old 01-11-2009, 01:01 PM

504 posts, read 1,485,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggz3 View Post
Woodlawn Street can be rough as can most of the streets immediately south of Monroe Avenue and west of 490. The streets to the North of Monroe are greatr but they are not very family-oriented - a lot of college kids and empty nesters.
If I may disagree, I think Woodlawn St is a great spot for a young family. If the original poster has a potential place in that block I think it'd be worth it for him to go walk the neighborhood and then see how he feels about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area