U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 18,210 times

Advertisements

I am trying to plan a wedding for my fiance and I for August 2010 and I'm having a bit a problem. We're trying to have an indoor ceremony and I can't seem to find many places that a) aren't churches, b) aren't lodges, or c) aren't redonkulously expensive.

We already put down money on the Burgundy Basin hall for the reception but we don't want to have the ceremony there (1) because we're having two separate receptions, and 2) the whole white gazebo thing is not us). We also DO NOT want to get married in a church or a lodge in a park.

So I've asked around and the Eastman House would cost $5,000 just for ONE HOUR. The planetarium would cost about $1,500 which we would be willing to do but is still a bit expensive. Highland Park's conservatory only holds 40 people and we're having 110 showing. So now I'm trying to think of alternative methods. My friend works at Geva so I asked her about the possibility of holding the ceremony there but she hasn't contacted me back. Other options I've heard of are holding a wedding on a campus like U of R, in one of the lecture buildings.

Can anyone think of a place that's 1) indoor, 2) NOT a church, 3) not a lodge on a park?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 AM

5,265 posts, read 15,312,570 times
This is completely random but I'm just thinking of "large" buildings in the area that are kind of interesting...but what about that Charlotte Beach House? I'm not sure if you can have venues there or not; just seems like a nice large historic building with nice views of the beach. Seems like it would be a decent place for a summer wedding.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:25 AM

2,377 posts, read 4,992,247 times
How about Sonnenberg Mansion in Canandaigua???It's a beautiful old house and of course surrounded by the Gardens...
Welcome to Sonnenberg Gardens & Mansion State Historic Park

Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 AM

113 posts, read 386,332 times
I dont know how many people it would hold but what about the lower mill in honeoye falls...it is beautiful, historic and only another 10 minutes further south from pittsford...do a google search for "rabbit room honeoye falls mill"

Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,485,988 times
Try city hall. It doesnt look like much from the outside, but the inside of the place is gorgeous. You go to the second floor and the entire place is marble and stone archways, foutains and skylights. Three stories of it. You would never think it was in there.

When we got married we used it for photos and we just had to apply for a permit. It would be worth checking out. Its large and if everyone cannot fit, you can go upstairs and look down at everyone.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 AM

525 posts, read 1,686,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivebyluna View Post
I am trying to plan a wedding for my fiance and I for August 2010 and I'm having a bit a problem. We're trying to have an indoor ceremony and I can't seem to find many places that a) aren't churches, b) aren't lodges, or c) aren't redonkulously expensive.

We already put down money on the Burgundy Basin hall for the reception but we don't want to have the ceremony there (1) because we're having two separate receptions, and 2) the whole white gazebo thing is not us). We also DO NOT want to get married in a church or a lodge in a park.

So I've asked around and the Eastman House would cost $5,000 just for ONE HOUR. The planetarium would cost about $1,500 which we would be willing to do but is still a bit expensive. Highland Park's conservatory only holds 40 people and we're having 110 showing. So now I'm trying to think of alternative methods. My friend works at Geva so I asked her about the possibility of holding the ceremony there but she hasn't contacted me back. Other options I've heard of are holding a wedding on a campus like U of R, in one of the lecture buildings.

Can anyone think of a place that's 1) indoor, 2) NOT a church, 3) not a lodge on a park?
The Italian American Community Center in Gates is gorgeous. Italian American Community Center - Banquet/Events (http://www.iaccrochester.org/banq.htm - broken link)

Old 01-27-2009, 02:35 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
The Italian American Community Center in Gates is gorgeous. Italian American Community Center - Banquet/Events (http://www.iaccrochester.org/banq.htm - broken link)
I second this....it is beautiful! We attended a wedding reception there last month....but I don't know how much it would cost to rent for a wedding ceremony.... Some of the colleges and universities have lovely areas to hold a service as well....something to think about.... How many people do you need to accomodate?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 PM

525 posts, read 1,686,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I second this....it is beautiful! We attended a wedding reception there last month....but I don't know how much it would cost to rent for a wedding ceremony.... Some of the colleges and universities have lovely areas to hold a service as well....something to think about.... How many people do you need to accomodate?
FYI -- The OP said 110 people. I found this link Rochester NY Finger Lakes region wedding reception locations. Looking through the list, Memorial Art Gallery would be nice. Also, the Glen Iris Inn is in Letchworth Park, but I bet that would be a phenomenal location for a wedding, and the facilities are a perfect size of 150. It looks kind of restrictive and expensive though. Glen Iris Inn. Harro East and Strathallen are nice too for city weddings.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:54 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,049,488 times
If the reception will be in Bushnells Basin I am guessing you want the ceremony local? Not too far out? What is the distance you want to drive? Honestly, some of the Wineries are beautiful as well.... you might want to do a few tours... and check them out....they might work with you...

Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 18,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
If the reception will be in Bushnells Basin I am guessing you want the ceremony local? Not too far out? What is the distance you want to drive? Honestly, some of the Wineries are beautiful as well.... you might want to do a few tours... and check them out....they might work with you...
Yeah we would like to stay close. That's why we picked Burgundy Basin as the reception place, it was so close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Try city hall. It doesnt look like much from the outside, but the inside of the place is gorgeous. You go to the second floor and the entire place is marble and stone archways, foutains and skylights. Three stories of it. You would never think it was in there.
Can we have our own person officiate or if we go through the city hall would we have to hire a Justice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
FYI -- The OP said 110 people. I found this link Rochester NY Finger Lakes region wedding reception locations. Looking through the list, Memorial Art Gallery would be nice. Also, the Glen Iris Inn is in Letchworth Park, but I bet that would be a phenomenal location for a wedding, and the facilities are a perfect size of 150. It looks kind of restrictive and expensive though. Glen Iris Inn. Harro East and Strathallen are nice too for city weddings.
Memorial Art Gallery would be nice but wayyyyyyyy out of my price range (they're asking for $3,000 just for the rental).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area