U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 04:32 PM

6 posts, read 18,955 times

Advertisements

Hello to all of Rochester (home for us) and everyone that is reading from everywhere else.
We will be moving back home from California in two months. We have been in California for way too long and it has really taken it's toll. Looking forward to getting back to a much simpler, less stressful way of life with great friendly quality people, wonderful food and four seasons. The cost to maintain the minimum out here is too much to handle and there is no more middle class. Only the wealthy and the struggling. Nothing in between.
Anyways, my son will be attending SUNY Brockport in the fall and we are having a real dilemna about where to live. I would love to live on the Brighton-Henrietta Town Line (specifically Brighton Colony) for many reasons. I know the area very well, It is a very safe area, great food, great shopping, I was raised in Brighton plus it is in the middle of everything with easy access everywhere. We have also been looking in Greece, Spencerport, Chili and Gates. Ideally we would like to rent a 2 bedroom townhome (no apartments please) and I would like to have a finished basement if possible. Hopefully it will be at least 1200 square feet as where we live now is so small that space has become very important. The place that I have considered in Greece is Long Pond Shores in Greece. Does anyone have any feedback on this complex? When I look on apartmentreview.com they do not get great reviews. People comment that the police visit often and the place is not maintained as well as it should be.
This has become quite a challenge as I am doing all this on the phone and on the internet.
Anyways, any comments on these complexes or any suggestions to any other complexes would be very much appreciated. Going on Mapquest is Brighton to Suny Brockport is 23.97 miles. Long Pond Shores to Suny Brockport is 18.08 miles so the mileage is not significant.
If anyone has any suggestions to any nice townhome complexes for a 2 bedroom unit around $975 or so or just any input at all would be appreciated.
Anyways, I am very much looking forward to coming back home and being in the welcoming ways of Rochester. I very much appreciate any input and comments at all. Thank you everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 PM

169 posts, read 438,405 times
On your budget, you can afford an entire 3 bedroom house in the Highland/Elwanger Barry neighborhood in the city just north of where you are looking (there are some really great streets including Rockingham and Mulberry). You can also afford a nice 3 bedroom apartment in a side by side double in that area. The neighborhood is safe and it looks like the local public schools are not an issue for you since your son is college age. Just a thought.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area