Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 PM

10 posts, read 18,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Is Rochester Gloomy and Boring?
Yes- go move somewhere else and leave us here to wallow in our misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:10 AM

317 posts, read 826,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
Once again let me break this down for you all:

I didn't say a city had to have all those things maybe one or two special things. A city in Florida let's call it "NOWHEREVILLE" so you all don't start pointing out flaws. If you asked them what they liked they might say I love the weather, I love the beach. If you ask someone in Austin they might say I love the weather, the job opportunities, the music scene, if you ask someone in Portland they might say the outdoor offerings, nightlife, great people, ocean. Rochester doesn't offer anything special that people couldn't find in these other places that offset the negatives.

Snow...cool summers.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:48 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Is Rochester Gloomy and Boring?
I think your question is relevant to where you're coming from. You can find good things to do in Rochester, but if you're moving from NYC, it may seem very quiet and less diverse. If you're moving from a smaller city, then Rochester will likely have more stuff to do. I find that with the mid-sized cities (like Richmond...where I live now), you have to make a real effort to stay in the loop on what's going on in the city. It's not like the big cities, where everything is at your doorstep with extensive public transportation, the biggest concerts, 20 different art galleries, major league sports, etc. There is some of this in Rochester, but on a smaller scale.

In terms of gloomy, I would say that Rochester does have longer winters and lot of cloud-cover, compared to cities in the south and west. The winters seem long, but if you like winter, then that's not a problem. Summers are nice, but it can be frustrating if you get a rainy summer (which happens occasionally).

Old 06-29-2010, 09:01 AM

8 posts, read 17,253 times
Weather could be a lot better. I believe that stat says 262 overcast days a year. Summers are very short and not very 'summery' compared with the majority of the country. Winters have gotten a bit better the last 5 years though....Look at this March: no snow!!!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:32 PM

60 posts, read 46,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSLITTLE View Post
I have lived in Rochester all my life 41 years and I hate it. the weather sucks you may get 3 months of nice summer weather if your lucky. don't live in the city to many killings,drugs lots of people with BAD attitudes and the kids have no respect for adults. I live in the suburb of Greece which isn't bad nice neighborhoods and schools. but Rochester is boring inless its summer time than you have festivals, carnivals,park ave fest. I would not move here and I am glad I am finally getting out of here!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesAlot View Post
Sounds like you should have left a long time ago....hope you find happiness in your new town....life's to short to have so much negativity. Good Luck

There is a difference between negativity and honesty... the poster you are responding to is being honest. The crime rate is way too high for a city its size, there is a tremendously high rate of drug addiction and abuse there and the poverty rate is one of the highest in the nation for a city over 100,000 people.

Maybe some people should take their heads out of the sand and try to address these problems in their city. The city is also filthy compared to many similar sized cities. This is because of a non caring ghetto mentality population that dominates the city.

This "ghetto mentality" is spilling over into the nice areas. Wasn't Charlotte Beach closed very recently because of groups of thugs fighting ? How about the Barnard incident? How about Greece Mall needing to ban kids because of so many trouble makers?

These kinds of things along with high taxes for half ass services in return, gloomy weather and below average job market are the reasons why Rochester is not considered remotely a desirable place to live.

Go ahead and bash me for being honest

Old 07-08-2010, 07:44 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie_Hoffman1 View Post
There is a difference between negativity and honesty... the poster you are responding to is being honest. The crime rate is way too high for a city its size, there is a tremendously high rate of drug addiction and abuse there and the poverty rate is one of the highest in the nation for a city over 100,000 people.

Maybe some people should take their heads out of the sand and try to address these problems in their city. The city is also filthy compared to many similar sized cities. This is because of a non caring ghetto mentality population that dominates the city.

This "ghetto mentality" is spilling over into the nice areas. Wasn't Charlotte Beach closed very recently because of groups of thugs fighting ? How about the Barnard incident? How about Greece Mall needing to ban kids because of so many trouble makers?

These kinds of things along with high taxes for half ass services in return, gloomy weather and below average job market are the reasons why Rochester is not considered remotely a desirable place to live.

Go ahead and bash me for being honest

You are just being extremely biased and negative, not honest. The crime rate is not so bad. On the highest crime cities, Rochester is not on the top of any list that I have seen. If you have looked at stats for the past couple of decades, the violent crime rate has dropped significantly.
The area is not filthy compared to other areas. It's no more dirty than any other northeastern city. I have been to lots of cities and the crime here is not that bad.
Citing a handful of isolated incidents does not prove anything. Show me a metro area of over 1 million people that does not have incidents like this. The fact that a couple of incidents like the ones you cited had so much media popularity shows that we don't a high amount of horrible things happening. I can pull isolated incidents in any of the safe cities to try to make a negative point.
If you had actual numbers to back up your negative postings, it would be one thing. But you are arguing in sweeping generalizations, showing that your argument is weak.
The one and only valid point that you have is the taxes.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 PM

60 posts, read 46,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
You are just being extremely biased and negative, not honest. The crime rate is not so bad. On the highest crime cities, Rochester is not on the top of any list that I have seen. If you have looked at stats for the past couple of decades, the violent crime rate has dropped significantly.
The area is not filthy compared to other areas. It's no more dirty than any other northeastern city. I have been to lots of cities and the crime here is not that bad.
Citing a handful of isolated incidents does not prove anything. Show me a metro area of over 1 million people that does not have incidents like this. The fact that a couple of incidents like the ones you cited had so much media popularity shows that we don't a high amount of horrible things happening. I can pull isolated incidents in any of the safe cities to try to make a negative point.
If you had actual numbers to back up your negative postings, it would be one thing. But you are arguing in sweeping generalizations, showing that your argument is weak.
The one and only valid point that you have is the taxes.

Ever been anywhere on the North side of the city? Or most of the Southwest? You say the city is not dirty? Thats a good one

Have you looked at the poverty and blight in the city? If you did you would know that it is shockingly high. Regarding crime, you do realize that increasing amounts of crime are not being reported due to the "stop snitching" culture that is common in that city.

Look at the Rochester page on this site with the statistics and compare it to many other similar sized cities in other states and you will find I am correct on my comments regarding crime, poverty etc. Geez, you guys had twice as many murders as Austin TX despite Austin having 4X as many people...

And you think everything is just fine

Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The area is not filthy compared to other areas. It's no more dirty than any other northeastern city.
That is faint praise.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie_Hoffman1 View Post
Ever been anywhere on the North side of the city? Or most of the Southwest? You say the city is not dirty? Thats a good one

Have you looked at the poverty and blight in the city? If you did you would know that it is shockingly high. Regarding crime, you do realize that increasing amounts of crime are not being reported due to the "stop snitching" culture that is common in that city.

Look at the Rochester page on this site with the statistics and compare it to many other similar sized cities in other states and you will find I am correct on my comments regarding crime, poverty etc. Geez, you guys had twice as many murders as Austin TX despite Austin having 4X as many people...

And you think everything is just fine
yea, I actually grew up on Clifford ave. The northeast part of the city and parts of the southwest are dirty and filled with blight. But parts of a city having blight does not equal the CITY as a whole having blight. Any city will have sections of blight and poverty.
There has always been a no snitching policy in ghetto areas, which has absolutely nothing to do with crime happening. It has to do with crimes being solved. A violent crime is going to draw attention no matter what(with things like shot spotter, cameras).
You absolutely can not compare a city like Austin to Rochester crime wise. Rochester would have a much lower crime rate too if it had over 200 miles of land within it's city limits and a much less population density. If you are going to make a comparison, you might want to try a city with similar population and land.
I never claimed everything was just fine, but thanks for putting words into my mouth.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
Everyone, garmin is hopeless. No matter what statistics you present or observations you share, Rochester is still a very good place to live with little wrong with it compared to other cities. While Rochester may have some promise hidden deep beneath the layers of filth and grime, it will never reach a pinnacle thanks to the many minority ghetto scum inhabiting its streets. Go take a stroll downtown around lunch time some day and you'll see what I'm talking about. You want to see a blatant lack of respect for people and their surroundings? Check Main St out. Cops at every corner because that's the only way to keep the peace when you have a bunch of hapless wannabe thugs hanging out waiting for the buss who have no sense of self control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area