Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 01:25 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,684,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynortons View Post
Absolutely. I've been here my entire 47 years. No downtown, no decent nightlife. Taxes high. Cold, and gray from November through April.
Yes, those blocks of concentrated buildings are just a mirage. And those thousands of people going to the East End, St Paul and Monroe areas are just imaginary. And the Sunny days last week were also pretend. Moron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 03:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,544,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I was downtown the other day I don't understand? I know people who have a nightlife in Lockport. Do you want more bars, clubs, restaurants, what? I type either bar, club or restaurant into Google and I get 100 results each.

And hey the taxes are high, but even with taxes my cost of living is still less than what it was down south.

If this is so bad for you, why not move? Its the people who complain about where they live that get me. Try moving elsewhere.
Cost of living is definitely cheaper here than down south, even with the taxes. And our schools are better (unless you are talking about Rochester City schools).

What does this person want? They want to complain; clearly.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:45 PM

784 posts, read 2,258,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Is Rochester Gloomy and Boring?

NO, NO, and NO.

I believe anyone who would say yes, would find boredom in any city. Maybe they ought to take a long look at themselves. Obviously you will find more in larger cities but for the size of Rochester it will definately not dissapoint. Just my two cents..........

Old 02-11-2009, 08:47 AM

20 posts, read 74,318 times
I havent lived anywhere in USA and Rochester has been the first city of my stay outside my country.Initially I found it hard to get adjusted to the weather but this year I am ok and started to like the snow too.The weather is not all that bad but is not good either.It is manageable.Now it is quite good as the sun is up early already feeling like spring.I just love summer here and the fall.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,423,336 times
Gloomy, yes, at times. In January when it's freakin cold/gross, it's pretty gloomy. But spring/summer/fall are quite beautiful.

As for boring, every place in America is boring if you don't find something to do, and you can certainly do that in Rochester.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,618,281 times
I'm from NYC, and I honestly truly enjoyed my time at Rochester. Most people who come from the big city probably won't think much of Rochester but I had a blast with my friends. I even consider moving there if things here in the city continue to get insanely expensive like the MTA.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,479,742 times
Rochester certainly has it's "gloomy" days, but so does every place! the winters can tend to be a little drawn out though...
We are originally from Rochester and have said several times on many other Roch.threads that we would love to come back! Just not happening as far as jobs are concerned. Not in my husbands' field at least.
There are so many things that are positive about Rochester though that the few months of bad weather don't seem that unbearable!
The cost of living is much less,by a large margin,even with the taxes there.
The cost of housing (even before the state of the housing market now) is so considerably less in itself. You can buy a very large,updated home for much less than many,many other places.
There are fabulous restaurants,museums (Strong Museum is by far the best Children's museum we have been to!) ,art exhibits,the festivals in the Summer in which,by the way,you do get some very wonderful Summer days in which to enjoy these festivals!
So, yes, Rochester can be gloomy and boring,but it has to much to offer to make that your sole reason for not wanting to be there....
Coming from someone who has lived away for 13 years now, most of that time spent by the beautiful Chesapeake Bay! (which I would take over Lake Ontario any day...)
I would still rather be there with my family & friends. (and maybe own a house on that beautiful Chesapeake Bay... in a dream...)

Old 02-13-2009, 11:42 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,066,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Rochester certainly has it's "gloomy" days, but so does every place! the winters can tend to be a little drawn out though...
When I lived in Rochester, the cold and snow weren't a problem, but the way the winter lingered on into what I thought ought to be spring was the hardest part for me.

But, like any place, you make your own satisfaction for the most part.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:13 AM

169 posts, read 474,802 times
Some perspective always helps:

it is cheaper to own (yes, own) a 3200 square foot Park Avenue mansion (yes, even with the ridiculous taxes) and fly down to Sarasota/Fort Meyers about twice a month on weekends in the winter to see the sun than it is to rent a one bedroom apartment in a good, but not great, part of San Francisco. I am not making this up - I have done both.

Rochester is about the best kept secret in the US - sorry part is is that most longtime residents don't get it (and never will).

Old 02-15-2009, 08:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,544,165 times
Those of us that have left only to come back get it. Granted many people leave and don't come back and are happier where they moved to. But there are too many people who live here who just think that everything about Rochester is terrible and that anyplace would be better. They really need some perspective. Is Rochester perfect? Definitely not. But no place is perfect and Rochester really has a lot more to offer than many people realize
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area