Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 AM

34 posts, read 101,371 times

Advertisements

Well my friends, the time has come! I will be arriving in Victor on Monday! I'll have a week to get to know the area before I start work. I'll be in temporary housing for 2 months in Victor and then move to my beautiful rental in Bloomfield where I can have my dogs and my horse right across the driveway!

Can you say excited?

I've been reading this board for months and just wanted to say that I will be PROUD to call Rochester and the surrounding area home!

I can't wait to start my new adventure.

Thank you to all those who have answered my many questions (especially skbs and I'minformed).

See you soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:15 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,833,701 times
We are proud to have you here! Welcome and make yourself at HOME! Make sure to explore every inch of our fine city when you get here... use your weekends to explore and GET LOST.... it is one of the best ways to learn the city (just not the so called "bad" sections of town please- be careful LOL).... Enjoy and feel free to DM with any questions anytime

Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,539,770 times
WELCOME! Glad you could make it! It's a good thing you will be here in 5 days and not coming today though because we're getting about a foot of snow today! It looks beautiful but NOT the kind of weather I'd want to have on my move in day. lol

Old 01-28-2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks very much!

I'll be doing lots of exploring! Can't wait! Thanks for all the help and kindness!

I'm very glad I'm not coming up today - we only got 4 inches here and now rain to wash it away I will miss PA winters LOL!

You guys are great! I tried to give you both positive feedback but it said I have to spread some around before I can

Old 01-31-2009, 01:36 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,977,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWHLover7 View Post
Thanks very much!

I'll be doing lots of exploring! Can't wait! Thanks for all the help and kindness!

I'm very glad I'm not coming up today - we only got 4 inches here and now rain to wash it away I will miss PA winters LOL!

You guys are great! I tried to give you both positive feedback but it said I have to spread some around before I can
Welcome! My parents in law live out that way. Nice country. By the way, dogs love winter, I know my labs do!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:55 PM

9 posts, read 31,714 times
I'd like to welcome you to Rochester. We have a great city here, and I'm sure you'll be happy. After you move in, rest, and then start exploring!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:39 PM

Thanks guys! I arrived safely and have been exploring Victor. Here's my impressions so far:

There is snow piled EVERYWHERE but they keep the roads really clear, NY drivers like to tailgate which is troublesome when you're not positive where you're going, the people are VERY nice (I don't know why people say NY'ers are rude - they're not). It is COLD!!! Thank God for my Lands End Parka and gloves! So far I love it!!! I start work Monday.

My dogs are shih tzus (under 20 lbs each) and they are heat/cold senstive. I'm afraid they'll disappear in the snow

Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,539,770 times
The "new yorkers are rude" stereotype is mostly applied to people in the NYC/Westchester/LI region. We upstaters are mostly known for being more down to earth and hearty people. We also don't have that annoying accent and can pronounce our R's! (though we do sound very nasaly at times!)

Old 02-06-2009, 12:40 PM

201 posts, read 646,740 times
I totally agree with you about the stereotype. It's not that were rude. We just are fast talkers, fast do'ers and we know what we want. Some people just cant keep up with us. In my opinion, It's not new yorkers who are rude, it's the people who come to NY, dont like it, stay and then try to ruin for everyone else. Those are the folks to watch out for. Welcome to town!

Old 02-06-2009, 03:24 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,833,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWHLover7 View Post
Thanks guys! I arrived safely and have been exploring Victor. Here's my impressions so far:

There is snow piled EVERYWHERE but they keep the roads really clear, NY drivers like to tailgate which is troublesome when you're not positive where you're going, the people are VERY nice (I don't know why people say NY'ers are rude - they're not). It is COLD!!! Thank God for my Lands End Parka and gloves! So far I love it!!! I start work Monday.

My dogs are shih tzus (under 20 lbs each) and they are heat/cold senstive. I'm afraid they'll disappear in the snow
LOL I have a shih tzu/chihuahua mix and he is 11lbs... I have to dig a path for him to go outside on a regualar basis each winter and I have a coat/sweatshirt for him on the subzero days since he is so small (hubby hates it and mocks him out)..... watch out for the salt on the roads if you walk them and their paws- it can burn their pads and get between the toes. You will get used to the driving- but yes- people do drive like there isn't any ice on the road and will pass you just as fast...(especially if they have awd....) you will get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area