Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:50 PM

23 posts, read 69,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
Most of the apartments in the Park Ave. area are houses reconfigured to apartments, not apartment complexes, although I do know of one on Berkeley St, but not the name unfortunately. The best way to find something is probably craigslist or democratandchronicle.com, and possibly cross-referencing with zillow.com to get a decent idea of how it looks on the outside at least.
Thanks for the info; it seemed like the apartments were once houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingdown View Post
Hi!

I agree with the other posters about the apartment situation and the ice. I would also caution you about the drive from the Park Ave area to Ontario. It may not look far, but in the winter, the drive is along some of the snowiest areas because of Lake Ontario. I doubt you want to live out near Ontario, but I want you to be aware of the winter drive. By the way, we moved in August from Rochester to SC and don't miss the winter! We do miss our friends, though!! Enjoy Rochester, it is really a good place to live.
Thanks for the advice, as I am concerned about my commute during the winter months.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:27 PM

355 posts, read 869,050 times
moving to Rochester area...HELP

What an apt forum header. That's right you need all the help you can get.

Here's the best help you will ever get:

DON'T
DO
IT!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:38 AM

movingdown, Where would you suggest I move to, since the Park Avenue to Ontario commute is bad during the winter months?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:09 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citysmart View Post
movingdown, Where would you suggest I move to, since the Park Avenue to Ontario commute is bad during the winter months?
Ah, that is the big decision you have to make. Living on Park Ave./East End/Corn Hill is the best place for someone in their twenties. You will probably be bored in the suburbs. If you are a big boat/water person, you could look at the Irondequoit/Webster area, which would make a little better commute and good access to the city. Living around Ontario will give you nothing to do if you like a social life, but the commute will be cake. Unfortunately, I cannot think of much of a compromise since the only younger places in the suburbs are south of the city around the colleges.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
Ah, that is the big decision you have to make. Living on Park Ave./East End/Corn Hill is the best place for someone in their twenties. You will probably be bored in the suburbs. If you are a big boat/water person, you could look at the Irondequoit/Webster area, which would make a little better commute and good access to the city. Living around Ontario will give you nothing to do if you like a social life, but the commute will be cake. Unfortunately, I cannot think of much of a compromise since the only younger places in the suburbs are south of the city around the colleges.
Thanks alot. I was looking into tthe Corn Hill area, since the apartment prices were reasonable.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:20 PM

259 posts, read 797,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citysmart View Post
Sorry, I have not been on here in a few days!

I am afraid I agree with Rochacha's reply to you. Perhaps you need to settle into the Park Avenue area (Corn Hill would be a bit further from Ontario), get to know Rochester and its surrounding suburbs and see how your commute is. I would hate for you to land in a suburb first and be unhappy with life in Rochester. Give it a year and decide at that point if you need to make another move.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,022 times
Default Stick to Suburbs

Personally, I would stick to living in the Suburbs. City is not that great, as crime in Rochester is the highest per capita. As a fellow teacher, I would recommend subbing as it gives you a taste of where you may want to be employed. Brighton and Pittsford are great choices as both are very close to the city (though they may be costly). They also have small town charm, like what you would find in the Hamptons. Village of Pittsford totally reminds me of the Hamptons, with small shops, cozy restaurants and you can even walk to canal and feed the ducks If you really have your heart set on City Living, then I would definitely recommend the Park Avenue area. Cute, trendy and happening kind of place . You can walk to restaurants, shopping, etc. Don't expect anything like Boston though.

Last edited by louie71; 07-23-2008 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area