Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,245 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy an affordable (under 150K) house on the East side of Rochester and are considering East Rochester but we do not know much about it. I love the idea of living in a village and I find the houses here are more affordable than Pittsford or Fairport. I know that the taxes are high but they are high everywhere and it seems like we can get more house for our money there. We have a young child and are hoping to have more children in the future.

Is ER a safe, quiet neighborhood? Are any parts of it better than others? Any negatives that we need to know about? What should we watch out for?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 9,975 times
East Rochester is known more as a renter's paradise. It is safe, but can be very run down if you are in the actual village. Also, there is not much land and the houses are very close together. It is a walking district for schools, but the education is very good.

If you are moving to the east side of Rochester, you should know that the Penfield, Pittsford and Perinton areas are rather pricey, but all have excellent schools. Penfield doesn't have a true village setting like East Rochester or Fairport, but the five mile line road, Whalen Road, are similar, but with more land. Webster may also be a good consideration for you as well. They have a nice village that is safe, and the area is booming. Make sure you avoid Phillips Village....it has crime, but is more the low income housing apartments and townhomes.

Having said all of that, I live in the village of Fairport, and grew up in Penfield. I have spent my entire life in this area and know it well. I know that the housing in Fairport is expensive, but it is a Gorgeous village and frankly, is worth every penny. Additionally, we are not experiencing the major effects of the housing crunch. It seems as though our property values are holding steady or actually increasing. (FYI: Fairport is in perinton) We have excellent schools, minimal crime, and amazing community. Feel free to email me with more specifics if you would like.

Ryan

Old 07-09-2008, 03:50 PM

25 posts, read 105,336 times
East Rochester is good for some people and not for others depending on your preferences. Ryanatorz is correct that it is a "renters paradise" however south of commercial street is better than north of commercial street. north of commercial street is the really really run down rentals, whereas you can find really nice single family houses and a nice community atmosphere south of commercial street. There isn't a lot of land with the houses but its like that with most villages. schools are great. there are some drugs, and they've had problems before with the Gleason subsidized apartments but thats on the outskirts...but safety really isnt an issue @ all. You can buy almost ANYTHING for 150k in E.R and its convienient to everything! 10 minutes from Rochester, Victor, Major colleges, shopping ect. Hope this helps you!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:47 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganrose323 View Post
East Rochester is good for some people and not for others depending on your preferences. Ryanatorz is correct that it is a "renters paradise" however south of commercial street is better than north of commercial street. north of commercial street is the really really run down rentals, whereas you can find really nice single family houses and a nice community atmosphere south of commercial street. There isn't a lot of land with the houses but its like that with most villages. schools are great. there are some drugs, and they've had problems before with the Gleason subsidized apartments but thats on the outskirts...but safety really isnt an issue @ all. You can buy almost ANYTHING for 150k in E.R and its convienient to everything! 10 minutes from Rochester, Victor, Major colleges, shopping ect. Hope this helps you!
AND you have the added benifit of enjoying the towns RIGHT next to you- Perinton, Pittsford, Penfield (ER is at the meeting point of all three towns.) about five min drive in an direction.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,878 times
Look at Walworth, its a few miles further, but the Taxes are much lower. I just visited an active adult community there called the Cottages. They have new homes starting in the $150's. It might be worth the drive.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Taxes in Walworth are very high... not low... people are having a hard time selling out there because the taxes are so high... and then you deal with the whole Wayne County factor - go to Penfield Schools/Pay School taxes and can't use Monroe County Library unless you pay an annual fee... certain companies will not be the same in Wayne County... Frontier for instance isn't out there - you must use Verizon or Time Warner... Different laws and ways of enforcing them (burning leave/garbage in the backyard/ four wheelers in the back yard/ snow mobiles in the backyard...) I suggest moving to ER... you are closer to everything in ER than in Walworth- you can walk in the village there/shop close by... Walworth you need to get into your car when ever you need anything

Old 07-23-2008, 08:14 AM

25 posts, read 105,336 times
I have to agree with skbs. my hometown was originally ontario, ny (connects to walworth and webster and williamson) It is a pain in the ass to drive everywhere and not much there for people. I guess it depends on your preference. But in all of walworth there is like a gas station and a restaurant. Plus as skbs said if you buy a 150k house, your taxes are like 8k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area