Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:06 AM

355 posts, read 869,009 times

Advertisements

So I was reading about the social epidemic in the Seattle forum called the Seattle Freeze. In short, the Seattle Freeze refers to Seattle residents having a friendly public persona but any attempt to get much farther that (i.e. making friends) will yield nothing. I was a little taken aback that Seattle thinks they are the only city with this problem. This applies to Rochester as well. I found a great article explaining what the freeze is The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease. Read this article and replace every Seattle with Rochester or Seattleite with Rochesterian and that pretty much sums up the social atmosphere of Rochester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 12:09 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,440 times
Thats a pretty stupid article. I've known several people that lived out in Seattle and they made friends fine. I have a good number of friends that moved here from other areas that were able to fit into my various groups of peers just fine. I am constatnly meeting people through sports leagues, bars, biking, etc, from other cities that made friends just fine.
If you are an anti-social loser, you may have trouble making friends. If you are outgoing in the slightest, you should have no problems meeting people.

Last edited by garmin239; 02-10-2009 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 12:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,583,651 times
Rotten....if you are having trouble making friends in Rochester (or Seattle, or any city for that matter) it has much more to do with YOU and YOUR personality than the city!

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. That article was probably written by some rude jerk who couldn't understand why nobody wanted to be his friend. Apparently that's the audience he appeals to as well!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:59 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,461 times
The only place I have been to where you can simply walk up to someone and make a freind has been during college. Most people will be aprehensive if you try to make a freind on the street, but they won't be rude to you. Sure there may be an odd case, but personally I have met most of my freinds through another person, work or aquataince.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:28 PM

810 posts, read 1,448,900 times
Oh, a guy who adopts the name "Rottenchester" is having trouble making friends.

Wait....let me think about that for a minute.....

My experience is that city people are wonderful (you haven't seen friendly if you've never attended Mass in the city).

Irondequoit people are on the other end of the spectrum; it's like they're a whole different species. Say hello to a lady at Wegmans and she's stabbing 911 into her cell phone.

S

Old 02-13-2009, 11:15 AM

525 posts, read 1,826,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Oh, a guy who adopts the name "Rottenchester" is having trouble making friends.

Wait....let me think about that for a minute.....

My experience is that city people are wonderful (you haven't seen friendly if you've never attended Mass in the city).

Irondequoit people are on the other end of the spectrum; it's like they're a whole different species. Say hello to a lady at Wegmans and she's stabbing 911 into her cell phone.

S
Ah, you must mean the Ridge-Hudson Wegmans...and for good reason over there!! There are some people like that in Wegmans, especially among the elderly, but I lived in Irondequoit and there are many friendly people there, especially in the northeastern parts where there is less apprehension (the whole kids abducting the residents in their garage thing is still fresh in minds).

Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 PM

382 posts, read 1,530,802 times
It must be contagious because DC suffers from the same thing.

Last edited by HomerBrink; 02-13-2009 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: needless word

Old 02-13-2009, 01:41 PM

201 posts, read 648,332 times
Rotten, you crack me up! I know you post this stuff just to get a rise out of us. You knew this thread was going to be swarming in no time with people who stick up for their town and disagree with you. As far as the article goes, it's rubbish and we all know it!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:23 AM

536 posts, read 1,537,966 times
When I was a student at RIT..I was sitting at the bus stop waiting for the bus when I decided to try to strike up a conversation with the girl sitting next to me...she refused to answer or even say hello and got on the phone. I shrugged and waited for the bus. Cops came. One got out of the car and asked me to come and talk to him. Conversation went like this: "Sir, the lady next to you says you're harrassing her."

"What?!!? All I wanted to do was chat..sir!"

"Aren't you from Texas?"

"Yeah..what's your point?"

*laughter coming from the cops*

The talkative one goes over to the girl and told her never to call 911 again and said this: "He's from Texas...they're very friendly people and love to talk..chill out."

He came back to me and told me basically Rochester people had a hard time with new people and to give the town sometime to get used to me. Now that's one reason why I don't live there.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
When I was a student at RIT..I was sitting at the bus stop waiting for the bus when I decided to try to strike up a conversation with the girl sitting next to me...she refused to answer or even say hello and got on the phone. I shrugged and waited for the bus. Cops came. One got out of the car and asked me to come and talk to him. Conversation went like this: "Sir, the lady next to you says you're harrassing her."

"What?!!? All I wanted to do was chat..sir!"

"Aren't you from Texas?"

"Yeah..what's your point?"

*laughter coming from the cops*

The talkative one goes over to the girl and told her never to call 911 again and said this: "He's from Texas...they're very friendly people and love to talk..chill out."

He came back to me and told me basically Rochester people had a hard time with new people and to give the town sometime to get used to me. Now that's one reason why I don't live there.
I can think of a hundred cities like this. It depends more on who your talking. I've had bosses from other states who have a "closed door policy," meaning no casual conversation whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area