U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 08:40 AM

24 posts, read 54,244 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Rochester this summer from Portland, Oregon. I'm excited about the move and look forward to exploring a new area. I'm concerned about one thing though. Currently I eat a lot of vegetarian food. Do any of your markets sell veggie friendly products like tofu, tempeh, etc.? What about restaurants? Will I be laughed out of town if I go into a restaurant and ask for the vegetarian substitute? I know I can do so here, but I also know that Portland is said to be the most vegetarian friendly city on the West Coast. Will I have to change my diet? I do eat some meat currently, but I have better energy and digestion when I include mostly vegetarian fare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 AM

2,377 posts, read 4,992,999 times
Lori's Natural Foods in the Public Market sells everything you could want..and I believe stores like Wegman's also carry a decent selection of natural and vegetarian foods.. Not sure about restaurants..but I'll bet there are quite a few...especially near the Monroe/Park Ave. sections..

Old 02-17-2009, 10:44 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,049,979 times
Believe it or not Wegmans is actually very Vegetarian friendly.... my sister and bil are vegetarian and do all of their shopping there.... Lori's is great but I find them to be rather expensive. THe farmers market downtown has a wide selection of fruits and veggies on Sat morning for rather low cost.... I go every weekend and save a ton of money.... fresh and wide variety.... Restaurants are a bit harder to find. You will find there are a lot of places that will have a couple of dishes that are Veg Friendly.... Some Locations that are for sure Vegetarian... but not many. A lot of Greek/Med/Indian/Sushi.... but down right Veg.... difficult.... We tend to go to Aladins, Edibles, California Rollin, Italian Restaurants, Lemon Grass, MEX, Indian Restaurants.... when we dine with my sister.....

Old 02-17-2009, 11:07 PM

525 posts, read 1,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxlibrarian View Post
My husband and I are moving to Rochester this summer from Portland, Oregon. I'm excited about the move and look forward to exploring a new area. I'm concerned about one thing though. Currently I eat a lot of vegetarian food. Do any of your markets sell veggie friendly products like tofu, tempeh, etc.? What about restaurants? Will I be laughed out of town if I go into a restaurant and ask for the vegetarian substitute? I know I can do so here, but I also know that Portland is said to be the most vegetarian friendly city on the West Coast. Will I have to change my diet? I do eat some meat currently, but I have better energy and digestion when I include mostly vegetarian fare.
Aladdins, Phillips European has some good veggie dishes, one veggie person I know swears by the Veggie Bacon Veggie Burger at the Taste of Texas BBQ in Spencerport.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:21 PM

24 posts, read 54,244 times
Thanks, everyone! I read about Wegman's in the wikipedia article for Rochester and liked how it said it was rated so highly to work for -- so I'm glad that it also sounds like a place I'd like to shop. And thank you skbs for mentioning the farmer's market. I love farmer's markets! I'm taking notes on all the restaurant suggestions . . .

Old 09-07-2009, 09:30 AM

268 posts, read 983,274 times
Try the Ethiopian on University - it's not swanky, but the food is good (if you life Teff and eating with your hands . . . mmmm).

Old 09-10-2009, 02:29 PM

12 posts, read 65,057 times
+1 for the Public Market. You can find it all there, if you arrive early. I am sure you would be more than satisfied with the area's selection of vegetarian cuisine. Here's a link that you may find helpful Vegan and vegetarian food in greater Rochester, New York Which area of Rochester are you moving to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area