U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 11:28 AM

24 posts, read 54,238 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Rochester this summer. My husband is looking at the Strong neighborhood because it is within walking distance of the University where he will be studying. We would like to start a family in Rochester and plan to live there for 5-7 years. I have noticed that Brighton seems to be the place to be to raise a family (good school districts etc.) -- however, it is not within walking distance of the University. My question: Are there any young families in Strong or is it mostly single grad students? Would we have to send any potential kids to private school if we lived there? You all have been very helpful so far with my questions. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 02:11 PM

63,224 posts, read 88,740,266 times
If you live in the city, it seems like the Park ave. area is good, if you can afford it. Maybe Maplewood, Swillburg, the neighborhoods East of Culver and some others pockets here and there.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:52 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,310,551 times
The Strong/Highland/Ellwanger Berry neighborhoods will probably be just right for a family in the city. Remember though that the city schools aren't very good and many people in those and other family-friendly city neighborhoods send thier kids to private (usually Catholic) schools. All of these neighborhoods could be conisdered "walking distance" to the hospital. Park Avenue, Maplewood and the others CKthankgod has mentioned are also good family neighborhoods, but not within walking distance to the hospital.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:15 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,754,327 times
You can definitely find something in Brighton that would be on the bus line to UofR... dig deeper.

Also, what you would spend for private school could buy a car... so it doesn't make sense to live in the city and send kids to private school when Brighton schools are free and, frankly, probably better than private schools!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 AM

24 posts, read 54,238 times
Thanks. It sounds like we will need to actually walk different distances and try to catch bus lines when we visit next weekend to see how practical the distances are. I appreciate the feedback about the schools and am glad to know I'm on the right track with my research.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:43 AM

5,265 posts, read 15,310,551 times
Juppiter brings up a great point. Public transportation from Brighton to UofR/Strong would be a much more viable option. Brighton schools are excellent, among the top 100 in the nation I believe, and it is definitely family friendly. And I'm sure your husband would appreicate being able to take a bus to work as opposed to walking in winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area