Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:24 AM

79 posts, read 226,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
I'll give it to the private money types who invested in that district in the last 15 years or so. Better than that BS monstrosity at High Falls, which was 50% subsidized by the city. Far as some of the clientele are concerned, I concur

Far as unemployment rates and other stats are concerned, Rochester, like the rest of Upstate, has lost many working-age people in the last 20 years, with not much to replace that lost tax revenue and disposable income (one can't have much disposable income when they're being taxed, insurance rated, and electric bill'd to death, anyway, but to each their own). Throw in the awful police state NY has turned into, what with the local and state polizei agencies raking in revenues for the yokels in local and state government, and it's no wonder many more want to leave. Last time we were up there I was amazed at the number of state polizei vehicles roaming the highways around town, plus there are a curious number of border patrol vehicles roaming about (based on Pattonwood Drive in Irondequoit, I might ad). Must be that's what Hillary Clinton meant by 'economic development' in Upstate.

Since 2000 NYS has lost over $20B in taxable income, due to residents leaving for other states who merely want to escape the tax burden and high cost of living in some parts of NY.

NY doesn't have it as bad as other states??? People in IL and CA wouldn't ever put up with NY's awful tax burden. NY is a welfare state, plain and simple. If it weren't for the revenue from Wall Street NY would be in a heap of trouble, other blue states like NY would love to have a revenue stream like that one.
Solid information! +1 Rep point. I wonder what the new gun control regulation would effect people in the state of New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 02:17 PM

292 posts, read 725,506 times
South Florida is probably the worst place to go if you want to be around decent people. It's the ultimate destination area, so you with it you have your immigrants, scam artists, beach bums, and rich people. I wouldn't even go there for a job given the stress and immediate culture shock, which is a result of the merging of Brooklyn, Cuba and Haiti. From what I've seen even LA is a step above that place people wise.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:29 PM

292 posts, read 725,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastOfWest View Post
Well as you can see, one of the things that hasn't changed is there are still people who've nothing better to do than make ridiculous posts like these talking about how much everything about rochester sucks all the time always ("mountains of cold death" is one of my new favorite lines). But what has changed? Hmmmm...
CHANGED
-That nice period that started back in 2006 where the murder rate fell to a normal level? Over. People are once again getting dropped all across the N side/SW side baghdad-style.
-There are a lot more people moving downtown (I think it's now the fastest-growing neighborhood in the city) it's actually noticeable. People are mostly settling down in the St. Paul quarter, as a result d-town is a lot more lively than it was even just 2 years ago
-There's more bars/resturaunts than there were when you left, the nightlife seems to have picked up a bit in the past few years. It's most noticeable in the South Wedge, the East End and around NOTA. Speaking of NOTA...
-ArtWalk was put in (some big 15 million dollar art-if-a-cation and renovation of NOTA) so the neighborhood now feels like a proper art district.
-The SW Side has gotten noticeably worse, especially north-northeast of the 19th ward. It used to be that the north side was the undisputed ghetto capital of the city, nowadays you're just as likely, if not more likely, to run into trouble around West Main and Jefferson Ave. It was always bad, now it's worse.
-There's a huge new bus terminal soon to be opened downtown on St. Paul street. This is a really big deal if you use RTS a lot like I do, finally instead of having to cram into those tiny, dirty bus shelters at Main & Clinton whenever you're making a transfer, there will be a fancy, modern, airport-style station downtown where you can switch without even having to step outside (kind of a grand central for buses, since instead of the lightrail system we deserve we just have a giant bus network)
-The Fringe festival was a big deal, and will be next year, so now we've got two huge, cool festivals (jazz fest being the other) it's really starting to feel like a festival town.
-They finally put a building up in Midtown! I mean it's just a small 7-story office building (the beginning of construction) but it's a start. Which brings us to the "sames"
SAME
-Midtown is still largely a giant crater and an eyesore, and as a result the entire east half of downtown is still at the moment ugly. It literally looks like the site of a massive car bombing or something tragic like that, and will continue to look that way until they start building those condos and offices.
-Everybody still wants to move to the South Wedge. I mean, tons of people are moving downtown, but you're still constantly overhearing conversations wherein the speaker says "I'm thinking about moving to the South Wedge. It's really up-and-coming right now".
-Winter still sucks (suprise suprise)
-The East End is still the nighttime destination for frat boys, young professionals who don't actually work that hard, underage high school girls with fake ID's and other members of the Greater Rochester do****bag community that seek to ruin the city's best clubbing district for the rest of us (mainly by getting hammered and yelling stupid crap at passerbys like "wassup, buddy, you partyin' hard tonight?")
-Monroe Avenue is, thank god, still a bit seedy and borderline sketchy at times. A crazy looking jamaican dude even tried to sell me cocaine outside Gitsis late last saturday. This is a blessing, because every once in a while you just need a cheap hot dog, or a dive bar, or a diner/convenience store/pizzeria that's open 24 hours, instead of the little botique shops that crowd park ave.
-Sports life here is no more exciting than it was 2 years ago. We still don't have any major league teams (aside from lacrosse but that doesn't really count) and as such everybody still treats Buffalo like its a much larger city due to the sabres and the bills, even if it's not really any bigger these days.
-The bars still close laughably early, for the most part.
-The entire southeast side is still gorgeous, vibrant and safe. And most of the north side is still violent and scary-looking.
-There are still hipsters EVERYWHERE (particularly in the south wedge)
-University of Rochester is still an amazing school, and tuition is still amazingly high. Nice to see that the next generation of UR scholars is going to be as mired in student loan as I am.
Finally...
-Tom Golisano still manages to present himself as both an obnoxious, absurdly wealthy corporate king (who does obnoxious rich people things like moving to florida for half the year to dodge NYS taxes) and as a benevolent philanthropist (by building and continuing to fund one of the finest children's hospitals in the nation). Hopefully one of these days he'll stop whining about how unfair the tax code is for rich people and stop trying to overthrow the governing New York democratic party through campaign contributions (otherwise known as "bribes") and return to the whole saving kids from leukemia thing that we can all respect him for.
God I hope the city is getting some type of gentrification, it sure needs it!. Every time I visit I drive through the City and it doesn't seem any better than before. Plymouth Ave still looks like a Warzone, along with N Clinton, Lyell and the rest of the gang. I am hoping the area around U of R gets better, particularly Genesee St. That area seems ripe for renewal given its proximity to the University and the cheap housing.

You go to other cities in the USA like Orlando, Denver, San Diego or even Albuquerque and you are seeing an improvement of many inner city areas that were seedy just a couple years ago.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:29 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
The old railroad bridge in the middle of the Genesee River down in Charlotte is gone.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo99 View Post
God I hope the city is getting some type of gentrification, it sure needs it!. Every time I visit I drive through the City and it doesn't seem any better than before. Plymouth Ave still looks like a Warzone, along with N Clinton, Lyell and the rest of the gang. I am hoping the area around U of R gets better, particularly Genesee St. That area seems ripe for renewal given its proximity to the University and the cheap housing.

You go to other cities in the USA like Orlando, Denver, San Diego or even Albuquerque and you are seeing an improvement of many inner city areas that were seedy just a couple years ago.
Actually, I'm hearing that the neighborhoods near U of R are seeing some interest and it is spreading into parts of the 19th Ward. So, I think there is some momentum in terms of interest in that area of the city.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:40 PM

97 posts, read 200,952 times
Quote:
There's a huge new bus terminal soon to be opened downtown on St. Paul street.
It's on Mortimer Street, not St. Paul, although they intersect. Getting buses off Main Street is going to be great for downtown. It will free up street parking for retail and restaurants, for one. It also makes East Main much more hospitable to cyclists, which is great because it's usually the quickest and most straightforward way to get somewhere.

Quote:
Actually, I'm hearing that the neighborhoods near U of R are seeing some interest and it is spreading into parts of the 19th Ward. So, I think there is some momentum in terms of interest in that area of the city.
I'm very familiar with the Plymouth-Exchange neighborhood and while it does struggle, it is by no means a war zone, as someone else compared it to. I think it's in the early stages of revival, especially with UR's new student dorms on South Plymouth. There's an entrepreneur who has opened a very nice deli and plans on turning an eyesore on the corner of Plymouth and Jefferson into a gourmet hot dog restaurant with outdoor seating. So it's chugging along. The city has plans to work on the waterfront as well.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:21 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
I think PLEX and potentially the eastern portions of the 19th ward will start to gentrify in the coming years. Basing this on proximity to UofR/Brooks Landing and the fact that the 19th ward has housing stock that is preserved much better than many other marginal neighborhoods in the city.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 AM

97 posts, read 200,952 times
The houses on South Plymouth in particular are gorgeous. Most need some cosmetic work and landscaping but you can easily envision what they were in their heyday and what they can easily be again.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 AM

15 posts, read 27,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Hearings and facts are not the same. Let's see you move to 19th Ward. Although I would rather live in 19th Ward than Mattydale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area