U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:25 PM

57 posts, read 180,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Sabretts are the best only if you get them from the trucks.The same for Nathans at a Nathans store.When you buy them from the grocery stores the preparation is usally different from the restaurants or trucks. If you are even trying to compare the two then you've NEVER had one in NYC at one of the vendors or gone to a Nathans restaurant.
Oh yes I have. I thought I was eating a Ball Park hot dog straight from the grocery store.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:37 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,755,971 times
Still haven't had Abbott's after almost 3 years of being in Rochester!!! It's on the list though. In the spring I'm sure it'll happen. My Rochester-native friends are dying to take me.

I dunno though. I've had real gelato (NOT the kind you get in America... don't even attempt to tell me the kind you get in America is the same they get in Sicily, I will laugh in your face) and I think it'll be hard to go against that.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:07 PM

8,162 posts, read 13,662,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Still haven't had Abbott's after almost 3 years of being in Rochester!!! It's on the list though. In the spring I'm sure it'll happen. My Rochester-native friends are dying to take me.

I dunno though. I've had real gelato (NOT the kind you get in America... don't even attempt to tell me the kind you get in America is the same they get in Sicily, I will laugh in your face) and I think it'll be hard to go against that.
Abbotts is very good and I tried it just after getting here in October. It tastes like Carvels or the Mister Softee Truck soft serve ice cream if it was frozen

Old 03-13-2009, 06:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,313,009 times
for me...abbotts is only edible if it is eaten on a nice sunny day on a waffle cone from the Charlotte Beach store outside. Picky right?

A little off topic of hotdogs I know..but has anyone tried Luigis? They literally give you a whole pint of icecream ontop of the cone. I went several years ago and honestly can't even remember where it was. I think Gates.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:23 PM

118 posts, read 591,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
for me...abbotts is only edible if it is eaten on a nice sunny day on a waffle cone from the Charlotte Beach store outside. Picky right?

A little off topic of hotdogs I know..but has anyone tried Luigis? They literally give you a whole pint of icecream ontop of the cone. I went several years ago and honestly can't even remember where it was. I think Gates.

You are thinking of Lugia's...it is on the corner of Manitou Rd and Lyell Rd in Gates..pretty close to 531. Yes they are outrageous on the amount of ice cream they put in the cones. I always order a kiddie size...no kidding! And it is like a normal adult cone. It is ALWAYS crowded on warm spring/summer evenings...literally 20 people deep with 4 windows open....but just a great atmosphere....to sit on the side of the building and watch the kids play in the grass.

http://www.lugiasicecream.com/

Last edited by MovesAlot; 03-13-2009 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Adding LINK

Old 03-13-2009, 08:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,313,009 times
YES that's it! Yeah it really was a great atmosphere. And yeah...a CRAZY amount of icecream on the cones. I'll have to check it out when the weather gets warmer; we only went once and it was probably 7 or 8 years ago. (while visiting relatives, as we lived in NC at the time).

Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM

99 posts, read 265,703 times
Abbots is good homemade custard, no doubt. There are a couple of independent stands in Webster, one on Ridge Road (can't recall the name but the raspberry in season is to die for) and the other on Rt. 250 just off Rt. 104 (Hanks) that have THE best homemade creams I have ever tasted.

Quite honestly, Carvel is some of the best for a chain place IMHO.

Back on topic, the dog is half the equation, the bun and toppings make the thing a package. That "snap" when you bite into the dog is natural casing done up right, over a fire.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:47 PM

8,162 posts, read 13,662,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
Abbots is good homemade custard, no doubt. There are a couple of independent stands in Webster, one on Ridge Road (can't recall the name but the raspberry in season is to die for) and the other on Rt. 250 just off Rt. 104 (Hanks) that have THE best homemade creams I have ever tasted.

Quite honestly, Carvel is some of the best for a chain place IMHO.

Back on topic, the dog is half the equation, the bun and toppings make the thing a package. That "snap" when you bite into the dog is natural casing done up right, over a fire.
Definitely not knocking you but the best are boiled...it's an art.You can buy Sabrett and Nathans take them home and try to copy the trucks and it never comes out the same.A little beer in the water! I do agree that the right bun and toppings including a good mustard or kraut are essential.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:13 AM

99 posts, read 265,703 times
Some we do boil, the German sausages in particular. But IMHO unless they are done up in kraut, they lose too much flavor in the water, even with the beer. To each his/her own right?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 9,854 times
Default Hoffman hots/Heid's

Hoffmans of Syracuse...The BEST! Red or whites, doesn't matter. Make Zwiegles taste like crap in comparison. Heids of Liverpool! Lines 200 people long out the door in the summer waiting for hot dogs! By the way, the reason Heid's Hoffman dogs taste different is they are a proprietary dog available only at Heids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area