U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:04 PM

466 posts, read 870,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
You're way off. You probably bought Sabretts at a supermarket. Not the same as from a hot dog truck. Zweigles red and whites can't hold a candle. I have travelled all over the states and out of the country including Germany and still a Long Island and NYC Sabrett truck hot dog puts them all to shame.
No, I got it right in the city. I thought I was eating a ball park dog from the grocery store that I microwaved.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 05:06 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,896,923 times
I wouldn't even put a Sabrett in my top 5. NYC hot dogs are average at best. NYC is great at many things, but not hot dogs. I've had better dogs in Rochester, Buffalo, Chicago, Boston, Philly.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I wouldn't even put a Sabrett in my top 5. NYC hot dogs are average at best. NYC is great at many things, but not hot dogs. I've had better dogs in Rochester, Buffalo, Chicago, Boston, Philly.
I would add Syracuse to the list too, as I agree completely. Hoffman's are great, and Heid's of Liverpool makes some damn good hot dogs.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:25 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,688,834 times
I can't believe some of you people are putting cheeses on a hot dog and then arguing about it.

As for those of you arguing about the tastes of hot dogs, ever stop and think maybe we all have different taste buds and perception of taste? My wife and I for instance buy Nathans and Zweigels when we go shopping, and honestly they're 2 completely different types of hot dog with their own unique tastes and character. I can't say one is better than the other because they're just too different. And lets not forget that Zweigels makes a few different types of dogs. When someone says hot dog X is better than a Zweigels, are you talking about a pop-open, beef frank, etc.?

Now for the love of God stop putting all that $hit on hot dogs and stick to the basics, or else you're doing nothing but ruining a good thing.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I can't believe some of you people are putting cheeses on a hot dog and then arguing about it.

As for those of you arguing about the tastes of hot dogs, ever stop and think maybe we all have different taste buds and perception of taste? My wife and I for instance buy Nathans and Zweigels when we go shopping, and honestly they're 2 completely different types of hot dog with their own unique tastes and character. I can't say one is better than the other because they're just too different. And lets not forget that Zweigels makes a few different types of dogs. When someone says hot dog X is better than a Zweigels, are you talking about a pop-open, beef frank, etc.?

Now for the love of God stop putting all that $hit on hot dogs and stick to the basics, or else you're doing nothing but ruining a good thing.
They have to add so much to actually add flavor to an inferior hot dog. I can eat a Zweigles (any) plain and it's delicious. But give me a little mustard, onions and hot sauce and it's about the best dog you can have.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 PM

Now that I can agree with

Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 PM

63,224 posts, read 88,740,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
I would add Syracuse to the list too, as I agree completely. Hoffman's are great, and Heid's of Liverpool makes some damn good hot dogs.
True....

Old 03-26-2010, 03:28 PM

7 posts, read 8,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
First off $1000/month good luck finding one.As for Long Island,it's no where near Westchester and Long Island is not full of rich people.There are obviously certain parts like everywhere else in EVERY state and making generalizations about all long islanders being cokeheads makes you sound stupid.Apparently you've never been to probably either.Lucky for you that I can point out the error of your ways.Until you have tried a sabrett(red) hot dog,don't tell me differently.The ones from the hot dog trucks which are boiled in a drop of beer put the Zweigel red hots to shame.A good hot dog has "snap" in the casing when you bite through.The white hot I agree is very good but a good bratwurst has a similiar taste.
It's all good, don't take anything personal on this site!!

Have a good day!!

Juss

Old 03-26-2010, 03:49 PM

Hmm, that's odd, the last Zweigels pop-open that I ate definitely had snap when you bit in to it.

Also, not all dogs have that snap genius. Nathans would be one of them. I personally find them delicious, and they don't have the same casing that zweigels do. But because they dont have the snap, I guess theyre not a good dog?

Old 03-27-2010, 07:31 PM

8,162 posts, read 13,660,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Hmm, that's odd, the last Zweigels pop-open that I ate definitely had snap when you bit in to it.

Also, not all dogs have that snap genius. Nathans would be one of them. I personally find them delicious, and they don't have the same casing that zweigels do. But because they dont have the snap, I guess theyre not a good dog?
A proper Nathans does have a snap. If you buy it from a supermarket and make it yourself it might not. The same goes for the others based on their preparations. My wife prefers Nathans considering she was born in Brooklyn (Coney Island). I am from Queens originally and my parents from the Bronx and I prefer Sabbretts alot more than any other. The others just don't compare. A good hot dog also blends well with toppings and is not overtaken by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area