Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:02 PM

99 posts, read 288,611 times

Advertisements

I have read a number of comments on various threads regarding the dogs in Rochester being inadequate when compared to NYC and other parts of the country.

Not only do we have red but we also have white, try finding that anyplace else. Or, go to Swan's market and get some of the best German sausage going!

Zweigels is about as good as they get for mass marketing, who makes them better?

I have eaten them in many places, including NYC, and if Rochester could be known for any food to set her apart it could be a Zwiegel on a Dipaolo roll. IMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 07:55 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
I have read a number of comments on various threads regarding the dogs in Rochester being inadequate when compared to NYC and other parts of the country.

Not only do we have red but we also have white, try finding that anyplace else. Or, go to Swan's market and get some of the best German sausage going!

Zweigels is about as good as they get for mass marketing, who makes them better?

I have eaten them in many places, including NYC, and if Rochester could be known for any food to set her apart it could be a Zwiegel on a Dipaolo roll. IMHO
I live in the brockport area and have tried zweigels(red and white).I moved from Long Island in October and have lived in NYC before that. For your version of the red hot,hands down Sabrett is the best!As for the white hot IMO it tastes similiar to a bratwurst.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:56 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
I looovvvve white hots. Yum. Never had one till I came to Rochester.

I could live in New York City and pay $1000 a month for a one-room apartment under railroad tracks in a neighborhood that emits black, disgusting smoke and smells like crap.... and put up with poseur Mactors coming to the "big city" and rude, rich, limousine liberal NYC natives... and Westchester/Long Island natives raised rich who think they have it tough and do coke....

but I don't, I live in Rochester.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:26 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I looovvvve white hots. Yum. Never had one till I came to Rochester.

I could live in New York City and pay $1000 a month for a one-room apartment under railroad tracks in a neighborhood that emits black, disgusting smoke and smells like crap.... and put up with poseur Mactors coming to the "big city" and rude, rich, limousine liberal NYC natives... and Westchester/Long Island natives raised rich who think they have it tough and do coke....

but I don't, I live in Rochester.
First off $1000/month good luck finding one.As for Long Island,it's no where near Westchester and Long Island is not full of rich people.There are obviously certain parts like everywhere else in EVERY state and making generalizations about all long islanders being cokeheads makes you sound stupid.Apparently you've never been to probably either.Lucky for you that I can point out the error of your ways.Until you have tried a sabrett(red) hot dog,don't tell me differently.The ones from the hot dog trucks which are boiled in a drop of beer put the Zweigel red hots to shame.A good hot dog has "snap" in the casing when you bite through.The white hot I agree is very good but a good bratwurst has a similiar taste.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:46 AM

406 posts, read 1,450,950 times
As a native Long Islander and happy upstate transplant I can say that one of the only disappointments in my move has been the lack of a really good "dog". While not too bad in a certain mushy way, white dogs are no match for a Nathans, Sabretts or a Papaya King. The downstate dogs have a certain snap and blend of spices that are missing in the examples I've tried up here. And Juppiter, Lancet71 is correct in that Westchester and Long Island have very little in common. Bayrat, I will have to try a Zwiegel the next time I'm in the area, how do they compare with the Syracuse brand, Hoffman?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Zweigle's are famous because of that very "pop" you speak of. They have a very thick skin that "pops" when you bite into it. The insides are a little "softer" than a nathans dog I will give you that (i have only had nathans dogs once and will agree they are some of the best i've ever had)

Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 AM

602 posts, read 2,034,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
That and the Garbage Plate! I like Zwiegle's, especially their white hots, but growing up closer to Buffalo, I love Sahlen's dogs. They got a bit of a smoky flavor to them and are great when you burn the hell out of 'em!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:04 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
As a native Long Islander and happy upstate transplant I can say that one of the only disappointments in my move has been the lack of a really good "dog". While not too bad in a certain mushy way, white dogs are no match for a Nathans, Sabretts or a Papaya King. The downstate dogs have a certain snap and blend of spices that are missing in the examples I've tried up here. And Juppiter, Lancet71 is correct in that Westchester and Long Island have very little in common. Bayrat, I will have to try a Zwiegel the next time I'm in the area, how do they compare with the Syracuse brand, Hoffman?
Have you actually gone to Heid's or Hofmann's Hot Haus?

The Hoffman hot dog you buy in the store aren't as good tasting as the ones they cook at Heid's in Liverpool and Hofmann's Hot Haus in Mattydale.

Hofmann's Hot Haus

YouTube - Please Pass the Salt Potatoes - Heid's Hot Dogs Liverpool NY

Old 03-10-2009, 10:19 AM

57 posts, read 199,039 times
Sabretts are awful! I can't believe anyone would even attempt to compare them to a Zweigles.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 30,010 times
The chilli-slaw dogs (red hots) down here in NC aren't bad, but I definitely miss white hots. Oh, and somebody needs to open a Nick Tahou's down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area