Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that your move to Rochester was a good one?
Yes 20 74.07%
No 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:54 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

Do you think that your move to Rochester was a good one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 07:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
In a word...absolutely. We are finally close to family again, in an affordable area with a great sense of community, good NEIGHBORHOOD schools, 4 seasons, natural beauty....we are HOME and have no regrets about it.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:28 AM

944 posts, read 3,848,020 times
Not exactly what you're asking, but I think my departure from Rochester wasn't the best move. I wish I could go back to my 18 year old self and explain to myself how I'd feel in my 30's... I would have stayed.

Of course, since that time I have lived in a lot of different places and I don't have the regret that some of my Rochester friends (who never left) have.

Still, I would be better off today if I had just settled in Rochester way back when...

Old 01-27-2009, 01:02 PM

I used to think that too....but it is good to get out and not just live in one place your ENTIRE life. It will either lead you to find a place where you feel happier living; OR it will make you appreciate your hometown more and want to settle back there for good. It sounds like in your case (and mine), it is the latter.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,755 times
Default Not really

Not what I expected. Disappointed at how narrow-mindedness, and that attitude of "you're not one of us" is as prevalent in some areas (especially Henrietta) as it was down in the south. Interesting that TWHLover plans to be calling this place home. Me, more often than not I'm reminded by people I talk to that I'm "not from around here", so I don't really "know how things work". Even my driving ability has been challenged by people who have never seen me drive.... just assumptions and stereotypes... :-(
I'll give it one more year, and then I'll start searching for another place, maybe I'll even try Canada. But I'll accept that this place works for other people, it's just not for me.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:08 PM

I find it interesting that "especially henrietta" is where you are experiencing this...because Henreitta probably has the highest proportion of people "from not around here" in the area. Many RIT employees and students who have come here from other areas of the country live in Henreitta...and because it has the most new construciton and lowest taxes in Monroe County...its where many people who move to this area end up living (such as yourself). I'm sorry that's been your experience though and hope that the next year goes better for you!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:42 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I find it interesting that "especially henrietta" is where you are experiencing this...because Henreitta probably has the highest proportion of people "from not around here" in the area. Many RIT employees and students who have come here from other areas of the country live in Henreitta...and because it has the most new construciton and lowest taxes in Monroe County...its where many people who move to this area end up living (such as yourself). I'm sorry that's been your experience though and hope that the next year goes better for you!
great excuse..back it up with facts. I imagine Webster and Greece had more construction than henrietta. There are a lot of RIT students that live in the city. Never heard that most people that are new to the area move to Henrietta. I just thought most people work and shop in henrietta. The population that is in henrietta is around 30,000 people but a typical day can see about 100,000 people in the area due to shopping, work, and school.

If I had to guess that people "from not around here" live it would be Brighton and the south end of Rochester. But this is my guess.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:40 PM

Is there any particular reason for the snappiness in your post with "great excuse...back it up with facts". Rough day? time of the month?

Henrietta has the fastest growing population in Monroe County...which can be backed up by the stats right here on city-data. It would be a pretty safe assumption that if a town has the fastest rate of population growth it would.

A. likely have a highest proportion of homes being new construction

B. have the highest proportion of transplants.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:50 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
Not what I expected. Disappointed at how narrow-mindedness, and that attitude of "you're not one of us" is as prevalent in some areas (especially Henrietta) as it was down in the south. Interesting that TWHLover plans to be calling this place home. Me, more often than not I'm reminded by people I talk to that I'm "not from around here", so I don't really "know how things work". Even my driving ability has been challenged by people who have never seen me drive.... just assumptions and stereotypes... :-(
I'll give it one more year, and then I'll start searching for another place, maybe I'll even try Canada. But I'll accept that this place works for other people, it's just not for me.
rgpg I am so sorry you have found this to be the case. I think it is inexcusable that people have acted this way. I am rather shocked though and I appologize you have had to deal with this.....

I grew up, for the most part in Fairport... and moved briefly to a small town in Oklahoma.... but I have never been happier to move back. So, to answer the question.... my move BACK to Rochester was a good one. The town we lived in was beyond small and remote with absolutely NOTHING to do. Rochester holds so much more in terms of entertainment and recreation. My life would have been so different if I had not moved home..... it is so much more cultured, fun, exciting.... than the town of 3500 I lived in down south.... there were so many more opportunities here that I wouldn't have had there....

Old 01-30-2009, 04:59 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,755 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that "especially henrietta" is where you are experiencing this...
I also thought that the presence of RIT would help create a more diverse environment, but I haven't seen that so far. I realize that there is a whole "native" population in the area that was there before RIT moved from its downtown location, so I'm not sure the impact of RIT's employees and student body is that significant in terms of increasing diversity... When I compare the crowd that buys at the Henrietta Wal-Mart, and the one that goes to the Irondequoit Wal-Mart, I see a huge difference (lots more foreign languages heard in Irondequoit, for instance)

Quote:
...its where many people who move to this area end up living (such as yourself).
Actually I'm in Brighton, but I have to go to Henrietta a lot, and interact with people in small shops, businesses, etc., and when I do even simple things like ask for directions to places that "everyone is supposed to know", like Midtown Plaza, I get a blank stare ("Why would he ask that question?") and then that dismissive attitude ...but then I go to Brighton, Pittsford, the south edge, and have similar interactions with people there, and they just answer questions/provide directions/etc. without making me feel I'm the dumb outsider who doesn't know where, for instance, Highland park is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area