Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:28 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,561,962 times

Advertisements

Yep, its supposed to hit 80 tomorrow as well! The best part is that when the temps are really warm this time of the year, the mid-summer humidity hasn't kicked in yet so it's just beautiful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:43 PM

17 posts, read 46,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momgoingtojax View Post
Hi, everyone,

Thank you all for posting such helpful information in this forum... I've already gotten a lot out of reading them. At first I thought we were moving to Jacksonville, FL but now my husbands job looks like it might land us in Rochester, NY. We are coming from So. Cal so I'm pretty nervous about this move.

I am looking at houses in Pittsford (I have 2 small children, so education and safety and kid-friendly neighborhoods are a priority for me) and came across a few possibilities but I have no idea what the different streets and subdivisions are like. We are most likely going to make a visit over there in the next couple of months if my husbands job does land there but I was wondering if I could ask you guys first on what you think of the different areas in Pittsford.

Oh, before I forget, I wanted to ask if flooding is a problem in some houses in Pittsford or Rochester in general? I noticed most houses there have basements, something I am not used to in Los Angeles. Do the basements get easily flooded? Is that a problem?

Okay, so here are some streets I've been looking at in Pittsford. Any information would be helpful!!!!
1) Cedarwood Circle
2) Van Voorhis Road
3) East street
4) Surrey st
5) Leaf Lane

I've noticed that housing prices are higher in the Clover/Calkin area. Why is that? Are there areas to be wary about in Pittsford?

While I'm at it, may I ask another question? I've noticed there is a big range of how old the homes are. Do you think it's better to go with a 1980's-recent made homes or older? I've read that heating bills may become a problem with older homes.

Thank you so much in advance for any help. I'm a worrywort anyways and this upcoming move is just about taking me over the edge. But this forum is helping tremendously.
If you are looking to live in the city I would recomend the South East side. The Park Avenue area has been the premier spot for many years, while downtown on East Avenue has been built up a lot in the past 10 years. Another nice place is the Upper Monroe Neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area