U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 AM

525 posts, read 1,686,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Eastview probably has the best eye candy
Ha ha, but they are mostly trust fund babies as well. "Daddy, I wanted the RED BMW, not the blue one!!!" Unfair generalization I know, but just having fun.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 12:05 PM

504 posts, read 1,341,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I didn't post the "geography lesson" (if that is what you want to call it) for you, but other posters who might actually want to come onto CD and learn more about Rochester.... You came on and made it sound like going to Eastview was a drive and a half.... when in reality it isn't. With the ease of 490 it is just a hop skip and a jump from anywhere in Monroe County... that was the point I was making. I don't tend make harsh attacks on people in here and if you took that post as such then my apoologies.

Back to Eastview.... Here is a link if other CDers want to check it out....
Eastview · Welcome ·.·.· a WILMORITE property
I guess you must work for Eastview mall, right? No, because then you would realize that both malls are owned by the same company and designed to serve the two different purposes that I described. According to the site you linked:

Quote:
Eastview is a super-regional shopping center located less than a mile off New York State Thruway Exit 45 and Route 490. The mall is located near the Finger Lakes wine region, the second largest wine producing region in the U.S. There are plenty of things for visitors to do and see around the area. For more information on local attractions and hotels, please click on the Local Attractions link above.

Eastview truly caters to the upscale fashion clientele with more than thirty stores that are unique to the market including Coldwater Creek, Coach, Apple, Pottery Barn, Janie and Jack, Arhaus Furniture, Build-A-Bear Workshop, White House Black Market, J. Jill and Jessica McClintock.
According to their site for Marketplace:

Quote:
The Marketplace is located in the heart of the Rochester, New York metropolitan area. Serving as the focal point for Rochester's greatest concentration of retail activity, The Marketplace offers exceptional convenience from all parts of the Greater Rochester area via its central location.

Macy's, JCPenney, The Bon Ton, Sears and Dick's Sporting Goods, provide the anchor draw, which is complemented by such tenants as Banana Republic, Gap, Gap Baby, Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, and Ann Taylor Loft. With more than 140 stores, Marketplace is home to most nationally recognized retailers.

Catering to a trade area of over 850,000 people, The Marketplace also benefits from three surrounding colleges and universities. The University of Rochester, Rochester Institute of Technology and Monroe Community College, all within two miles of the mall, represent a student population of more than 35,000.

Located just three miles south of downtown Rochester, The Marketplace offers exceptional accessibility from all parts of the metropolitan area. The center is adjacent to I-390 which funnels traffic from every interstate in the region directly by the mall.
Notice anything different? The Eastview mall description does not even mention Rochester, instead encouraging people from out of town to make a trip and visit the finger lakes and other "super-regional" attractions. The Marketplace description, on the other hand, touts its convenience to the Rochester MSA (which, as you know, is concentrated in the city, west suburbs and north suburbs) its larger number of stores and its place as the "focal point" for Rochester shoppers and its "central location." More people from Rochester go to Marketplace because it is closer to their homes and has more everyday needs. Greece Ridge is comparable. You go to Eastview if a) you're from Victor/Fairport/Pittsford or b) you want to access the "higher form of shopping" that they refer to on their site.

I didn't say Eastview was inaccessible by car. I did say it was "pretty far out," and I guess the owners agree with me, based on how they present it on their site. This is no judgment on people who prefer Eastview, but like I said, I'm not the only one who won't drive ten extra miles for it.

Last edited by mycrows; 04-16-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 02:14 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,048,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
I guess you must work for Eastview mall, right? No, because then you would realize that both malls are owned by the same company and designed to serve the two different purposes that I described. According to the site you linked:

According to their site for Marketplace:

Notice anything different? The Eastview mall description does not even mention Rochester, instead encouraging people from out of town to make a trip and visit the finger lakes and other "super-regional" attractions. The Marketplace description, on the other hand, touts its convenience to the Rochester MSA (which, as you know, is concentrated in the city, west suburbs and north suburbs) its larger number of stores and its place as the "focal point" for Rochester shoppers and its "central location." More people from Rochester go to Marketplace because it is closer to their homes and has more everyday needs. Greece Ridge is comparable. You go to Eastview if a) you're from Victor/Fairport/Pittsford or b) you want to access the "higher form of shopping" that they refer to on their site.

I didn't say Eastview was inaccessible by car. I did say it was "pretty far out," and I guess the owners agree with me, based on how they present it on their site. This is no judgment on people who prefer Eastview, but like I said, I'm not the only one who won't drive ten extra miles for it.
Seriously? You really want to spend your time debating malls and areas of Rochester with me? Ok.... what ever.... I am an East Sider... I like Eastview.... but I drive to Greece at least once a week and it takes me about 20 minutes.... not a big deal.... so that was the only point I was making.... It takes about 20 min via expressway to get from one mall to another.... I put the mall website on there for people to view because people might want to see that it is the nicest looking mall in Rochester.... at least imho.... with the best dining and shops... again imho. No other reason.... but again... you took offense.... this was not an attack.... yet you took it as such..... I come on here to provide information not to debate..... that is all....... sorry LOL and all of Rochester pretty much knows the malls are owned by the same company.... unless you just moved here....

Last edited by skbs; 04-17-2009 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 05:45 PM

355 posts, read 795,555 times
Eastview is the best mall in Rochester. But I go to the Greece one a lot since it's closer to me. The Marketplace Mall in Henrietta used to be alright but I'm afraid the crowd on Friday and Saturday nights is a little too unsavory for me nowadays.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:43 PM

233 posts, read 620,690 times
Eastview has my favorite diner, Johnny Rocket.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:13 AM

90 posts, read 299,633 times
I visited Marketplace Mall in 2008 on a trip to Rochester after having not visited since ~1990. Wow, did that joint go downhill. Too bad.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:33 PM

27 posts, read 72,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Honestly I like Greece Ridge before Marketplace... I think the selection of stores is better and it is just a lot brighter and much more cheerful to walk around.... Marketplace really needs an update. But Eastview is TOP on the list by far!!! The stores and atmosphere are the best as is the dining.....

With the expressway you are 15 (20 tops if you live at the opposite corner of the county) minutes from anywhere pretty much... if that is too far for you then maybe you should just stay in your neck of the woods.... Really Rochester is a really DRIVABLE city thanks to the expressway. You can get anywhere quick... we don't have any real traffic problems like other cities do (NYC, Dallas, San Fran, Chicago, DC....) it is fast and easy.... Eastview is a quick drive from one spot of Roch to another.... really....
Being an outsider looking in, I just wanted to say all the posts about malls have been helpful because I have 2 small kids and sometimes we just like to spend time at the mall especially if the weather is icky outside. For example, during the winter times, I might take the kids to the malls with a kidzone so they can get some energies out. So it's helpful to know there are some options of malls in Rochester. Just to back up skbs, I didn't take her post as offensive at all or even argumentative. Just the opposite. I don't know why it was taken that way. Anyway, thank you all for your posts. I'm coming from L.A. and am looking forward to living in Rochester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area