Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 PM

14 posts, read 35,719 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Rochester now for about a week and love it. I've been to Tony D's best pizza top choice. But I've also seen and stop by mistake in the not so good areas (14621).

I saw a mall that looked nice just to find it was a dead mall (Medley Centre) so my question is out of the 3 malls what is the best one to shop, feel safe, and just an all around relaxing experience?

By the way I also stopped at the Wal-mart in 14621 should I just avoid that Wal-mart or should it be no problem as long as it's not after dark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Eastview Mall....take 490 east to Rt 96 and it is there just before the thruway.... best mall in Rochester....

There is an awesome Wal Mart just past Perinton (in Macedon) if you do get out to Eastview.... it is on Rt 31 and the best in Rochester.....

Old 04-14-2009, 09:27 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Eastview Mall....take 490 east to Rt 96 and it is there just before the thruway.... best mall in Rochester....

There is an awesome Wal Mart just past Perinton (in Macedon) if you do get out to Eastview.... it is on Rt 31 and the best in Rochester.....
I also like Eastview the best. I like the Marketplace mall second. The Marketplace mall probably has a few more big box stores around it than the Eastview mall does though.

The Medley center is going to be renovated by the same company that did the Walden Gallaria (Buffalo) and Carousel Mall (Syracuse).

Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,865 times
You're lucky you moved in this time of year. Rochester during the summer is very lively and fun.

As to your question, I think Eastview is pretty far out. When I lived in Rochester I'd go to Marketplace. But you should know I don't consider any mall a nice place to hang out. I like to get in and get out as quickly as possible. So maybe Eastview will provide a more relaxing experience for you.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,564 times
I like the Mall at Greece Ridge?
I think that's what it's called? Haha.
I don't live in Rochester, but I visit a lot, and that's the one we always go to. There's a carousel in it!

Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I also like Eastview the best. I like the Marketplace mall second. The Marketplace mall probably has a few more big box stores around it than the Eastview mall does though.

The Medley center is going to be renovated by the same company that did the Walden Gallaria (Buffalo) and Carousel Mall (Syracuse).
Honestly I like Greece Ridge before Marketplace... I think the selection of stores is better and it is just a lot brighter and much more cheerful to walk around.... Marketplace really needs an update. But Eastview is TOP on the list by far!!! The stores and atmosphere are the best as is the dining.....

Quote:
As to your question, I think Eastview is pretty far out. When I lived in Rochester I'd go to Marketplace. But you should know I don't consider any mall a nice place to hang out. I like to get in and get out as quickly as possible. So maybe Eastview will provide a more relaxing experience for you.
With the expressway you are 15 (20 tops if you live at the opposite corner of the county) minutes from anywhere pretty much... if that is too far for you then maybe you should just stay in your neck of the woods.... Really Rochester is a really DRIVABLE city thanks to the expressway. You can get anywhere quick... we don't have any real traffic problems like other cities do (NYC, Dallas, San Fran, Chicago, DC....) it is fast and easy.... Eastview is a quick drive from one spot of Roch to another.... really....

Last edited by skbs; 04-15-2009 at 05:44 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 12:25 PM

233 posts, read 685,442 times
Quote:
I like that one, too. At least theirs is sun-lit whenever possible.

Living near Eastview Mall, I go there all the time! So it gets boring after a while, but my second choice is definitely the mall in Greece. It's too bad Funscape closed.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:19 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,865 times
Quote:
With the expressway you are 15 (20 tops if you live at the opposite corner of the county) minutes from anywhere pretty much... if that is too far for you then maybe you should just stay in your neck of the woods.... Really Rochester is a really DRIVABLE city thanks to the expressway. You can get anywhere quick... we don't have any real traffic problems like other cities do (NYC, Dallas, San Fran, Chicago, DC....) it is fast and easy.... Eastview is a quick drive from one spot of Roch to another.... really....
Thank you for the geography lesson. I was already well aware of the differences between Rochester and larger cities.

When I lived in Rochester, my 'orbit' was Henrietta, west side and downtown. Therefore Marketplace Mall was most accessible to me, and it always had what I needed. As I noted in my post, I am not one to drive 10 extra miles for a "brighter" or more "updated" mall when the local mall gets the job done. I used to shop at Midtown Mall, after all. I guess you're implying that that means I'm parochial, but I don't see anything wrong with that in the context of which mall I choose to shop at. I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way, or else Marketplace would just close its doors, right?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:24 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Eastview probably has the best eye candy

Old 04-16-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
Thank you for the geography lesson. I was already well aware of the differences between Rochester and larger cities.

When I lived in Rochester, my 'orbit' was Henrietta, west side and downtown. Therefore Marketplace Mall was most accessible to me, and it always had what I needed. As I noted in my post, I am not one to drive 10 extra miles for a "brighter" or more "updated" mall when the local mall gets the job done. I used to shop at Midtown Mall, after all. I guess you're implying that that means I'm parochial, but I don't see anything wrong with that in the context of which mall I choose to shop at. I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way, or else Marketplace would just close its doors, right?
I didn't post the "geography lesson" (if that is what you want to call it) for you, but other posters who might actually want to come onto CD and learn more about Rochester.... You came on and made it sound like going to Eastview was a drive and a half.... when in reality it isn't. With the ease of 490 it is just a hop skip and a jump from anywhere in Monroe County... that was the point I was making. I don't tend make harsh attacks on people in here and if you took that post as such then my apoologies.

Back to Eastview.... Here is a link if other CDers want to check it out....
http://www.eastviewmall.com/

Last edited by skbs; 04-16-2009 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area