U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:22 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,483,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
I doubt you would see people flock to downtown for another shopping mall for the same reason Midtown Plaza closed. They charge for parking and there are punks hanging around the courtyard and streets, you can't even eat without having your car broken into (ask me how I know).

Not only that, the parking tickets are expensive if you by chance shop longer than the meter allows (ask me how I know). I don't shop there anymore.
Ah, but its *private funding*, done by the same guy who did the Galleria mall in Buffalo and the Carousel mall in Syracuse. So if it doesn't work out, we still employee extra construction workers and get some temporary tax money.

Can't wait to see how it looks though, he has some big plans for the site.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 07:17 PM

99 posts, read 265,669 times
In reality, everything is "privately funded" given that the government does not earn money but rather takes part of ours to spend. Either way, Rochester does not need another failure, the fast ferry is still costing taxpayer money and that was supposedly a private venture.

Downtown used to be great, I miss the beautiful Christmas celebrations in all the department stores I saw as a youngster. I won't address the reasons it all went away, we already know them.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 AM

51 posts, read 157,052 times
I think Cheese is commenting on Irondequoit and Bayrat is commenting on DT.

I agree about DT, if they got rid of pay for parking people would have a reason to go there instead of the suburban malls (or at least not to avoid DT). Of course, now that almost everything has been chased out of DT, who knows if they would come back with just free parking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
...take Albany's Colonie Center...
Perhaps to make your point, isn't Colonie Center directly off the Thruway and at an intersection of 2 highways (87/90) and mere miles from a third major highway (88)?

It has a central location going for it, which Irondequoit/Medley will never have.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:22 PM

Irondequoit is directly off an expressway tied into miles of highway to the east, the closest mall being Auburn or Syracuse. No reason for failure other than the punks hanging in the halls and parking lot and thievery that ran rampant. I personally know people that work/worked there, every story is the same.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:06 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,896,632 times
I worked there too and the crime was just a myth. Irondequoit mall had no more crime than Greece Ridge or Marketplace.
The mall failed because of the expansion of the joining of the 2 malls in greece, and the expansion of Eastview.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:57 AM

260 posts, read 902,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I worked there too and the crime was just a myth. Irondequoit mall had no more crime than Greece Ridge or Marketplace.
The mall failed because of the expansion of the joining of the 2 malls in greece, and the expansion of Eastview.
You couldn't be more right... The old Irodequoit mall was beautiful... shame. But it looks like it will get its second chance for life.

Damn Greece Ridge... Ugliest mall ever.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:34 PM

63,224 posts, read 88,740,266 times
Quote:
Irondequoit is directly off an expressway tied into miles of highway to the east, the closest mall being Auburn or Syracuse. No reason for failure other than the punks hanging in the halls and parking lot and thievery that ran rampant. I personally know people that work/worked there, every story is the same.
I believe the Eastview Mall in Victor the next closest and then you have the Waterloo Outlet Mall further West on the Thruway.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:45 PM

260 posts, read 902,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe the Eastview Mall in Victor the next closest and then you have the Waterloo Outlet Mall further West on the Thruway.
You are right.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm saying if you live to the east of the mall, like where I live, about 35 miles east, your best, closest place was Irondequoit Mall. Victor is a longer drive, Auburn about the same.

The Waterloo outlet is an entirely different animal, it is not an enclosed shopping center ergo the lack of bad element hanging around in it. Same can be said for Southtown. I was focusing on "mall". A group of retail outlets designed and built with ways for pedestrians on one or more levels to form a unified whole under one roof.

I agree with the comments about Greece, not too bad if you go during the day on a weekday but the rest of the time it stinks. It is ugly, congested and not a bit user friendly. Marketplace is not much better.

Yes, some of the rumors about Iron Mall were just that, rumors. Stuff like people's ankles being slashed in the parking lot and other nonsense. But the rest is true. I watched that mall morph from a family orientated place into another Midtown.

Some of the justification put out in the news explaining the demise of IM are exactly what is being stated here but it is not reality. The market existed and then evaporated due to a change in climate at the mall, it had nothing to do with some expansion at East View and Greece Town Mall. People were not driving from either of those areas to shop in Irondequiot on a regular basis prior to the expansions, those malls were already as large if not larger than Irondequiot.

People that want simply to shop with their families and not "hang out" are going to choose the best environment for their loved ones, regardless of "size". I now drive the extra miles to EV or Great Northern or slosh in the snow covered sidewalks of Waterloo for that "quality of life" thing.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:35 PM

63,224 posts, read 88,740,266 times
Quote:
I'm saying if you live to the east of the mall, like where I live, about 35 miles east, your best, closest place was Irondequoit Mall. Victor is a longer drive, Auburn about the same.

The Waterloo outlet is an entirely different animal, it is not an enclosed shopping center ergo the lack of bad element hanging around in it. Same can be said for Southtown. I was focusing on "mall". A group of retail outlets designed and built with ways for pedestrians on one or more levels to form a unified whole under one roof.

I agree with the comments about Greece, not too bad if you go during the day on a weekday but the rest of the time it stinks. It is ugly, congested and not a bit user friendly. Marketplace is not much better.

Yes, some of the rumors about Iron Mall were just that, rumors. Stuff like people's ankles being slashed in the parking lot and other nonsense. But the rest is true. I watched that mall morph from a family orientated place into another Midtown.

Some of the justification put out in the news explaining the demise of IM are exactly what is being stated here but it is not reality. The market existed and then evaporated due to a change in climate at the mall, it had nothing to do with some expansion at East View and Greece Town Mall. People were not driving from either of those areas to shop in Irondequiot on a regular basis prior to the expansions, those malls were already as large if not larger than Irondequiot.

People that want simply to shop with their families and not "hang out" are going to choose the best environment for their loved ones, regardless of "size". I now drive the extra miles to EV or Great Northern or slosh in the snow covered sidewalks of Waterloo for that "quality of life" thing.
If i were you, I would go to Fingerlakes Mall just outside of Auburn then. Is there a main street with a decent business district to go to in say Canandaigua? I know there is some shopping in Geneva.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area