Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:28 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times

Advertisements

It's not walking distance for you being in southwedge...but there is a Wegmans on Park Avenue. And well, if you are in Rochester; you simply can't avoid shopping at Wegmans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 9,861 times
Most of the grocery stores are located on the edges of neighborhoods heading toward a suburb. The easiest grocery store to get to near the Southwedge (besides abundance) is Wegmans on East Ave. You can walk up Alexander and take the East Ave. bus and it will let you off directly across the street from the store.

I grew up in the 19th ward but spent my last 5 years in Rochester living in the Park Ave. neighborhood before moving to Chicago in '05. The Southwedge is cool, I'm sure you'll find lots of friends and lots of fun.

P.S.- It is much easier if you have a car, although taking the bus isn't terrible.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:53 PM

17 posts, read 46,953 times
If you are looking to live in the city I would recomend the South East side. The Park Avenue area has been the premier spot for many years, while downtown on East Avenue has been built up a lot in the past 10 years. Another nice place is the Upper Monroe Neighborhood.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 AM

59 posts, read 235,307 times
Great ideas, thanks for the ideas. The Wegman's on East, the farmers market behind Boulder, and the Public Market will be be options for me, either by foot, bike, or bus.

SalinaCanterbury, you're right, it does feel like SW would be an area where I'd make friends. I didn't get that feeling in other neighborhoods...so I'm glad that you point that out.

On another note, I need to figure out when to make a trip to view apartments. How much notice do tenants in Rochester have to give before vacating? I assume that this would tell me when I'd have best access to the widest range of apartments available for my move-in date (Aug 1). I.e., if people have to give only 30 days notice, there's no point in me looking at apartments in June, since I might assume that the best apartments are still occupied, and those moving haven't given notice yet.

Maybe answering my own question: am I right that month-by-month tenants must give 30d notice, and those on a year lease must give 60d?

Thanks again for anyone's help.

Last edited by David001; 05-17-2009 at 09:58 AM..

Old 05-17-2009, 09:05 PM

169 posts, read 476,284 times
Just out of curiosity, which streets in the southwedge did you like best/are looking to find an apartment on?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:10 PM

169 posts, read 476,284 times
In response to your question, the required period of notice depends on the particular terms of the lease - NY does not require a particular period. Month-to-month tenants typically provide 30 days (or are supposed to). I would start looking by early to mid-June for an August 1 move-in date. Craigslist is a very good resource for rentals: check listings and let local landlords know you are looking by posting an ad yourself.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:23 AM

59 posts, read 235,307 times
To conclude this thread: I found an awesome pad in the neighborhood immediately east of the cemetery in Southwedge (May, Stewart, Langslow streets). 2 bedroom, completely renovated, great landlord (so far!), close to campus, in a great building. It's a bit further from the main neighborhood of SWedge, but I love this little enclave. Thanks for everyone's help in sorting this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area