U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 04:02 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,264,593 times

Advertisements

I want to hear from you out in Internet land on how the city of Rochester treated the black bear in a tree?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 05:03 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,485,661 times
I heard about that, supposidly they shot it with a tranq and it fell into a net. The bear ended up dying, they are trying to figure out how. Its wierd that there would be a bear around here. I heard a story about another bear around the 190 in Buffalo.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:48 PM

355 posts, read 795,702 times
They acted in the same confounded manner they always do. Here's how I'm guessing it went down:

1. That morning, someone saw the bear up in a tree.
2. That person then texts a friend to come see and confirm the existence of a bear.
3. Friend arrives and both exclaim how exciting it is to see a bear.
4. More neighbors gather, and eventually someone calls the police over.
5. Two hours later, One Police man arrives, he gets out of the car, sees the bear, and texts another officer to come over to confirm whether or not it is a bear.
6. One hour later, the second police man arrives, and confirms the existence of the bear.
7. Not too much longer after this a large crew of officers have surrounded the bear in the tree.
8. 3 hours of picture taking later, they finally decide to do something about the bear in the tree.
9. They hold a net over the ground, someone fires a tranquilizer dart, and the bear falls out tree.
10. Bear dies.

Moral of story, if you wait too long to get a bear out of a tree, the bear will die because it hasn't had access to food and water for quite some time. Also it was a pretty warm day and the bear probably got a heat stroke and died.

I think the bear is a metaphor for the city of Rochester.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:02 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,855,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
They acted in the same confounded manner they always do. Here's how I'm guessing it went down:

1. That morning, someone saw the bear up in a tree.
2. That person then texts a friend to come see and confirm the existence of a bear.
3. Friend arrives and both exclaim how exciting it is to see a bear.
4. More neighbors gather, and eventually someone calls the police over.
5. Two hours later, One Police man arrives, he gets out of the car, sees the bear, and texts another officer to come over to confirm whether or not it is a bear.
6. One hour later, the second police man arrives, and confirms the existence of the bear.
7. Not too much longer after this a large crew of officers have surrounded the bear in the tree.
8. 3 hours of picture taking later, they finally decide to do something about the bear in the tree.
9. They hold a net over the ground, someone fires a tranquilizer dart, and the bear falls out tree.
10. Bear dies.

Moral of story, if you wait too long to get a bear out of a tree, the bear will die because it hasn't had access to food and water for quite some time. Also it was a pretty warm day and the bear probably got a heat stroke and died.

I think the bear is a metaphor for the city of Rochester.
I'm thinking the head first crash to the ground from 40 feet at 150 lbs had more to do with it dying than the heat, lack of food and water....the net was useless....

Poor thing....why didn't they lure it down with food and then dart it?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,485,661 times
Was it in the middle of the city? Luring it down could have been the issue then.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:16 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,855,351 times
If not lure it, how about an appropriate net or inflatable to catch it...the poor thing bounced off the ground like a rock with the inadequate thing t hey had..and it wasn't like they didn'thave plenty of time to prepare..he was lounging up there not bothering anyone and not looking like he was in a big hurry to come down...

Old 06-22-2009, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 13,194 times
I was very upset by the handling of that incident as were hundreds of other people. The DEC initially said they would wait until dark and let the bear come down itself. Unfortunately it didn't, so the next day, they decided to tranquilize the bear to get it down. They didn't disperse the crowd. If they were so concerned about safety, why wouldn't they do that? The net they used was useless. The bear hit it's head in the fall and get this, when they put it in the cage, they never took the net out. They then took it to a local cemetery where it was quiet to check on the bear when they found it dead. They said it could have been the tranq, the fall or the net might have entangled it and cut off it's breathing.

So many people were outraged that one of the local TV stations interviewed the DEC officer in charge that day, a Mr. Newell. Basically he said, they did everything they could, felt bad but 10% of animals die in similar situations... oh well.

I would have liked to hear that they were reviewing all actions to see if there was anything they could have done differently.

Interestingly, someone that posted to the comment section of a local TV station included a link to an almost identical incident in Rochester, New Hampshire (strange coincidence). In that incident, they did disperse the crowd and waited until dark to tranquilize the bear. They didn't use a gun, they used a syringe on a pole. They had a net strung up but the bear stayed in the tree. Then I see a man climb the tree and they let the bear down gently with a rope. Several men carried the bear to the cage and I was very impressed with the care and gentleness those men handled that animal. One held it's head the whole time, they made sure it was safe in the cage, removing the rope. I sent that link to the NYS DEC and suggested they look at it.

I told them if they think they did the best they could, then some serious changes need to be made in their department!
Elkay

Old 06-22-2009, 02:40 PM

504 posts, read 1,341,480 times
Lot of bears wandering into the Buffalo area lately.

Third black bear struck, killed by car : Niagara County : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/niagaracounty/story/702059.html - broken link)

The one that was hit on the 190 was in the city limits. Like the one in Rochester, not far from the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area