Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 AM

53 posts, read 250,266 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am curious about the churches in our area. I'm a Christian (technically Lutheran but not too tied down to denomination) and looking to find a great church home for my family. I would like to find a church that has a very good program for kids/youth, as well as a good fit for my husband and me.

Do you belong to a church that has a great pastor and great congregation that you and your family look forward to worshipping with? What is the style (traditional, contemporary, mixed)? What's the music like? What are the service opportunities, Bible studies, fellowship, and other outreach activities available?

Thanks to all in advance for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 04:22 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
I'm not as much a churchgoer now. I was raised protestant.

I like the more upbeat services with the music and outgoing pastors. I think alot of people get turned off by the same rituals every time. Some are rituals good and necessary, but its good to add a little fun and jazz to the service.

There was a church in Barker (I believe), that I went to. It was just a small place, but it had a live rock band that did the music. They still did the sermons and normal rituals, but it adds a little extra. Some believe that it should be very regimented, and thats fine by me, but I don't see whats wrong with it as long as you praise the same God.

There is a old gorgeous church next to Xerox downtown, it is worth to sit for a service. The pipe organ and woodwork is beautiful.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:14 AM

6 posts, read 17,938 times
I spent 14 years at Browncroft Community Church in Penfield (I live in NC now). It has really great programs for children and youth--one of the best VBS's in Rochester! There are small group bible studies for adults as well as Sunday morning groups for couples. It's a nondenominational church so people from all types of church backgrounds go there.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:44 PM

25 posts, read 76,778 times
hey betsometer

How long have you been in NC? I have lived in G'Ville SC for 7 years and have been considering a move back to Roch/Syr for about a year. I am really struggling with the decision because most people think I am "crazy". For the most part I like SC but it does not feel like home. The upstate ny area is a great place to raise kids and offers a great sense of community. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 12,460 times
We go to Southeast Bible Baptist Church on 250 in Penfield. Sunday school for ages 3-Adult..nursery every service for the younger ones and every service interpreted for the deaf..Junior church for the 3-11 year olds and the 12 year olds and up in the main service. Sunday evening service. Wednesday night Bible study and prayer..teens and younger have their own classes. Friday night teen group and Reformers Unanimous program ( Christ centered addictions and discipleship program). Services are Sunday School 9:45 Sunday Morning 11:00 Sunday night 6:00 Wednesday night 7:00 Friday Night 7:00. I love my church because They teach right from the Bible and have many ministries geared towards the kids.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 17,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Eagle View Post
hey betsometer

How long have you been in NC? I have lived in G'Ville SC for 7 years and have been considering a move back to Roch/Syr for about a year. I am really struggling with the decision because most people think I am "crazy". For the most part I like SC but it does not feel like home. The upstate ny area is a great place to raise kids and offers a great sense of community. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
I have only been here for a little over a year, so I really can't give you any advice. I lived in Rochester for almost 20 years (and loved it) so it was a big move to come down here. It doesn't feel like home yet, but hopefully it will after a few more years of living here. We live in Charlotte and are quite happy so far--just miss all of our friends back in Rochester. I know someone who moved to Greenville a couple years ago from Rochester and loves it! She could have gone anywhere and chose Greenville.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:10 PM

35 posts, read 132,752 times
I was brought up in the Luthran church but when I became an adult I started to wonder why there are so many churches of different denominations. I found the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and made a very wise choice in joining for myself and my family. Check out www.mormon.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area