U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,843 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
I am moving to the Rochester area in two short weeks and scrambling to get a rental for August 1st. My boyfriend got relocated to the Henrietta area, and we will be moving to the area. We were able to get out to the Rochester area this past weekend for the first time, and we both absolutely loved it. We're from Boston, and it was nice to see the small communities outside of the city, and the much cheaper rental prices. We looked at a few rentals and filled out an application for a rental in East Irondequoit. I was wondering how this area is? The house is about two blocks from the bay on Tarrington Road, which is off of Winton Road. Since we don't know the area at all, can anyone give us some advice on how the East Irondequoit area is for a young (late 20's) couple?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:36 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,486,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbourgeois View Post
Hi Everyone!
I am moving to the Rochester area in two short weeks and scrambling to get a rental for August 1st. My boyfriend got relocated to the Henrietta area, and we will be moving to the area. We were able to get out to the Rochester area this past weekend for the first time, and we both absolutely loved it. We're from Boston, and it was nice to see the small communities outside of the city, and the much cheaper rental prices. We looked at a few rentals and filled out an application for a rental in East Irondequoit. I was wondering how this area is? The house is about two blocks from the bay on Tarrington Road, which is off of Winton Road. Since we don't know the area at all, can anyone give us some advice on how the East Irondequoit area is for a young (late 20's) couple?
This is a very good area, if you go south into the city the neighborhood is called Browncroft on the east side and Culver-Winton on the West side of Winton.

For Irondequoit, the dividing line is mostly Culver rd. For the most part if you stay on the right side of Culver the neighborhoods will be safe in Both Irondequoit and in the city. On the east side you are close to Irondequoit bay, Ellison park and Seabreeze. The 590 and rt104 are close by and should make for easy highway access for you. Of the Rochester metro area, most of the houses are mid to late 1900s in East Irondequoit.

There is shopping up on rt104 with a number of restaurants. There is a mall they will be refurbishing. In the city and on the Irondequoit sidestreets there are a number of mom and pops shops.

We live two blocks from the border of Irondequoit and Rochester. We rented off of Winton when we first came to Rochester and were about the same distance, just more east. These areas are fine, I would feel safe walking around Browncroft at night. On Culver rd in the city I would feel safe walking during the day.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,898,911 times
I live in that area. East Irondequoit is an older area so you will have a bunch of old people and some younger couples buying up the dying old people's homes. In that direct area you have a couple decent pizza places, good parks and a couple of bars. The city nightlife is only a few miles away (about a 10-15 dollar cab ride).
being in my late 20s, I think the area is decent, but I'm more of a city person. But for what it is, the area is good. There are plenty of young couples on my street to keep me occupied.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,843 times
Thank you for the info-- that was exactly what I was looking for! We are actually filling out the lease agreement today and I can't wait!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 PM

230 posts, read 760,597 times
We live up the street from Tarrington towards Empire.. absolutely love our neighborhood, being close to expressways and very close to grocery stores up Empire...Now if we could just solve the tax problems here..But since your renting it'll be great!!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,979 times
I'm looking for a house or apartment for rent it only 5 days in East Henrietta, Rochester NY on march 31, 2011 to april 4, 2011...minimum two bedrooms, more is better...good rental price!

Old 02-12-2011, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 6,235 times
Its a pretty good area, perfect for young couple, your 10 minutes from Downtown and real close to major expressways, many stores nearby and minutes from webster which is another surbaban area loaded with stores and restaraunts, I lived in Irondequoit for many years and it is very nice, I think you will like it..good luck with you move..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area