Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:12 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahattar View Post
This is pretty amusing to me. I just wanted to see what people were saying about Rochester on here and came across this. I am an Army brat who has lived all around the country and Germany. I moved to Rochester on my own 5 years ago, purchased a beautiful house and made the most wonderful connections and friends ever. Rochester nightlife is great, though it's not NYC, but then, I dont like paying $20 just to walk through the door anyway. Rochester has such an active "day" time, that I think most people enjoy rather than going out to bars and drinking on a random Tuesday. I've never been so fit and in shape as I was while I lived in Rochester. I've enjoyed many Friday and Saturday nights out downtown though, which is part of what I'll miss most now living near NYC, believe it or not. I guess it all depends what you're looking for, but to bash a city based on it's lack of jumping gay bars on a Tuesday night is ridiculous. And the fact that someone thinks SYRACUSE is better just shows how little their opinion can be taken seriously. I cant say enough good things about Rochester after living there for 5 years and truly experiencing all that it has to offer- ESPECIALLY WEGMANS!!!
Hey hey! I agree with you about Rochester, but Syracuse isn't that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 PM

11 posts, read 41,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahattar View Post
This is pretty amusing to me. I just wanted to see what people were saying about Rochester on here and came across this. I am an Army brat who has lived all around the country and Germany. I moved to Rochester on my own 5 years ago, purchased a beautiful house and made the most wonderful connections and friends ever. Rochester nightlife is great, though it's not NYC, but then, I dont like paying $20 just to walk through the door anyway. Rochester has such an active "day" time, that I think most people enjoy rather than going out to bars and drinking on a random Tuesday. I've never been so fit and in shape as I was while I lived in Rochester. I've enjoyed many Friday and Saturday nights out downtown though, which is part of what I'll miss most now living near NYC, believe it or not. I guess it all depends what you're looking for, but to bash a city based on it's lack of jumping gay bars on a Tuesday night is ridiculous. And the fact that someone thinks SYRACUSE is better just shows how little their opinion can be taken seriously. I cant say enough good things about Rochester after living there for 5 years and truly experiencing all that it has to offer- ESPECIALLY WEGMANS!!!
Yet another touting a GROCERY store as an "experience" defining a city. There are Wegmans where I live, and NOBODY gets that excited about it. Just shows how boring and dismal it is to reside in Rochester. Regardless, that would be a quaternary reason for moving somewhere... at best.

Last edited by pa29; 08-23-2009 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-24-2009, 09:55 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
I am not a she, I'm a guy(you don't know who I am). Posters on here usually get accounts deleted for troll posts. The person with that account is most likely the other person that had several other accounts or posts deleted.
I only have one account on here, sorry.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:53 AM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Hey hey! I agree with you about Rochester, but Syracuse isn't that bad.
You'd be surprised how terrible Syracuse's reputation is in the rest of Upstate NY. Most people in the Syracuse area don't have clue how outsiders view the area.

If I grew up in Rochester, I'd look down at Syracuse too. What you see from the highways and the main attractions in the City of Syracuse are not impressive to the casual visitor.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:48 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Default No creativity or imagination, I would say

If I were the OP I would have merely found me a straight bar that night.
After a certain hour, don't all bars get a little Gay?

I'm Gay and I share the frustration of going to a city and finding out the bars, or the good ones, are miles from the downtown area. I found that to be true in a number of cities I've visited: Minneapolis, Phoenix, Tucson, Atlanta and even Los Angeles. Here in Las Vegas, there's no Gay bars downtown, they are strewn out all over, you need a car to get to them unless you like very long walks.

It's very hard to find a city today where all the Gay bars are in the downtown area. There are affluent Gay people who are just as snobbish as any straight middle class person who wouldn't stoop that low to go to a downtown "dive".

Tijuana, Mexico has always been perfect for me: 7 Gay bars within 2 blocks of one another, and after 50 some visits to that city over the years I've never been robbed or mugged.

If those of you who are very happy with living in Rochester and don't want the city to grow any furthur, negative posts like pa's are doing a service to your city. Be sure and send him a thank-you card if you're one of them.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:33 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
You know Pa29.... I am currently also living in the area that you are so proud of. I just recently moved to SE PA after living in MD for 10 years, originally from Rochester however.
Grant it, Rochester may not be the grandest city of all,but I will tell you, SE PA is nothing to brag about.
The people here have the same attitude that you have unfortunately and that is basically that you are all better than everyone else.
No one that is from this area has any desire to meet anyone from any place else and truly if all of you had your way, no one new would ever move into your area.

Rochester and it's suburbs are really not much different than other areas in SE PA. Philly happens to be a bit more diverse but really,not much more to offer than Rochester. Sorry.
There are PLENTY of things to do in Rochester,wonderful restaurants,museums,theatres,etc...
My guess is that you think that there is no place like SE PA and no matter what anyone says about Rochester, you are going to have a contrasting remark to make.
So, you have made your point here,you don't think that Wegman's is a big deal and oh by the way...
YES,people in SE make a BIG deal about Wegman's. You are right,it is a grocery store,but it by far surpasses the likes of Giant or Weis or whatever else the choice may be in SE PA.
Trader Joe's and Wholefoods aren't that much better than Wegman's.

If you think Rochester is such a doom & gloom city,have you spent ANY time watching the local Philly news? crime everywhere in Philly,conceited country club snobs in the suburbs who won't allow african american children at their pool clubs,the city can't pass a budget and may have to lay off hundreds of police,firefighter's,etc... just what a city like Philly needs,less cops on the streets to protect the citizens.

So,why not just stay away from the Rochester threads? you don't like,you are entitled to your opinion. I don't like SE PA.... I am certainly not going to go on the SE PA thread and start to ridicule the area though. I guess we have to make the best of it,if you HAVE to be in Rochester like I HAVE to be here in SE PA right now,then it is our job to find the good in the area that we live in..
If you just visited the city once and have formed this opinion,fine,but it's no reason to continue on the way you have.

Rochester has it's downfalls,just like any other place... I happen to be proud to be from Western NY.!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:20 AM

116 posts, read 622,289 times
I've been here three years now. The OP's perspective doesn't surprise me at all. He's now spent more time in the city than I have. I am a hardcore suburbanite and the suburbs in Rochester are awesome, IMO. If you are looking for a city-type experience my guess is you don't want to come here, but for raising a family and living well once you become a boring, uninteresting parent (holla!) then it's awesome.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:50 PM

11 posts, read 41,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
You know Pa29.... I am currently also living in the area that you are so proud of. I just recently moved to SE PA after living in MD for 10 years, originally from Rochester however.
Grant it, Rochester may not be the grandest city of all,but I will tell you, SE PA is nothing to brag about.
The people here have the same attitude that you have unfortunately and that is basically that you are all better than everyone else.
No one that is from this area has any desire to meet anyone from any place else and truly if all of you had your way, no one new would ever move into your area.

Rochester and it's suburbs are really not much different than other areas in SE PA. Philly happens to be a bit more diverse but really,not much more to offer than Rochester. Sorry.
There are PLENTY of things to do in Rochester,wonderful restaurants,museums,theatres,etc...
My guess is that you think that there is no place like SE PA and no matter what anyone says about Rochester, you are going to have a contrasting remark to make.
So, you have made your point here,you don't think that Wegman's is a big deal and oh by the way...
YES,people in SE make a BIG deal about Wegman's. You are right,it is a grocery store,but it by far surpasses the likes of Giant or Weis or whatever else the choice may be in SE PA.
Trader Joe's and Wholefoods aren't that much better than Wegman's.

If you think Rochester is such a doom & gloom city,have you spent ANY time watching the local Philly news? crime everywhere in Philly,conceited country club snobs in the suburbs who won't allow african american children at their pool clubs,the city can't pass a budget and may have to lay off hundreds of police,firefighter's,etc... just what a city like Philly needs,less cops on the streets to protect the citizens.

So,why not just stay away from the Rochester threads? you don't like,you are entitled to your opinion. I don't like SE PA.... I am certainly not going to go on the SE PA thread and start to ridicule the area though. I guess we have to make the best of it,if you HAVE to be in Rochester like I HAVE to be here in SE PA right now,then it is our job to find the good in the area that we live in..
If you just visited the city once and have formed this opinion,fine,but it's no reason to continue on the way you have.

Rochester has it's downfalls,just like any other place... I happen to be proud to be from Western NY.!

When did I ever say I was proud to live in southeast PA? You assume too much. Just because I found Rochester to be appallingly awful, it doesn't mean I am thrilled to live here, either. Would I really be looking to move elsewhere if I was so proud to live here?

Unlike people in Rochester, I am quite aware of how unappealing it is to live in my area.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:34 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
I apologize, I didn't read ALL of your posts, the ones I did read were all negative and most of them were supporting the Philly region in one way or the other.
It just seems odd to me that you are persistent in visiting this thread and it is obvious you aren't a fan of Rochester... so let it be,that is all.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:36 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams View Post
I've been here three years now. The OP's perspective doesn't surprise me at all. He's now spent more time in the city than I have. I am a hardcore suburbanite and the suburbs in Rochester are awesome, IMO. If you are looking for a city-type experience my guess is you don't want to come here, but for raising a family and living well once you become a boring, uninteresting parent (holla!) then it's awesome.
It depends on where you live in the city of Rochester too. While most of the public schools in the city of Rochester struggle, there are plenty of private schools for children to attend. That's if you can't get into the better public schools like SOTA or a few of the elementary schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area