Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:22 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

I think the weather aspect can be subjective, but I can understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,447,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I agree with Howard, and he really put forth much better information.

A current event on a union as an example:
Mott's Workers Strike Against Wage, Benefit Cuts - YNN, Your News Now

These workers, are making on average $21.00, plus benefits and a 401k. If an assembly line worker can make $21/hr, why did I goto college? And when the company wants to cut back, for expansion, for profit, or declining profits, etc, they cannot because the union blocks them. This is a much worse situation when it comes to the public unions, because the government never goes out of business, they can only raise tax. My only concern, on both the public and private unions is that the management should cut back as well.

"Workers at Mott's are calling for their fair share." Holy ****, I wonder what I should be making with "my fair share."

Buffalo, Rochester Syracuse built their roads, sewers, water lines, etc in anticipation of a population greater than what it peaked out at. We are doing maintenance on our system we are not building a new beltline. This is also the first place where I have heard someone say they do not want growth because of sprawl, considering every city has it.

And as for the great school districts, ie Brighton, Pittsford, do you know what the cost of living is?
Bingo.

It's a food processing plant, for cripe's sakes. A friend works there as a machine repairman (good trade, BTW), and he makes well north of what the assy. line folks make ($60K+ in a good year), plus cheap co-pays for medical. He ain't complainin', I'll say that much, considering he lives in Wayne Cty. near to the plant, and is under 30 years old pulling down those wages.

A food processing plant can be plunked down just about anywhere. According to the article, the company is based in TX. One could assume that plant will soon be moved to the South or TX, post haste, in fact food processing is becoming a big business around here, even.

NY's labor laws have prevented companies from locating there, as they tilt the scales in the unions' favor. Every time a major economic development comes along, like GEICO in Buffalo, the unions salivate at the prospect of organizing them.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 PM

317 posts, read 826,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the weather aspect can be subjective, but I can understand.

Agreed... Here in NC during the summer you can't do anything outside all day. You sleep with the windows shut, and the air running at night from late April to October. 6 inches of snow shuts down schools for a week...no joke. The most disturbing thing about this state is they actually like college basketball more than college football.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Bingo.

It's a food processing plant, for cripe's sakes. A friend works there as a machine repairman (good trade, BTW), and he makes well north of what the assy. line folks make ($60K+ in a good year), plus cheap co-pays for medical. He ain't complainin', I'll say that much, considering he lives in Wayne Cty. near to the plant, and is under 30 years old pulling down those wages.

A food processing plant can be plunked down just about anywhere. According to the article, the company is based in TX. One could assume that plant will soon be moved to the South or TX, post haste, in fact food processing is becoming a big business around here, even.

NY's labor laws have prevented companies from locating there, as they tilt the scales in the unions' favor. Every time a major economic development comes along, like GEICO in Buffalo, the unions salivate at the prospect of organizing them.
Heck, you might be too optimistic to say that the plant might relocate to Texas. Considering the makeup of the workers in many food processing plants in the Midwest and in other locations, you might see that plant moving to Mexico or some other foreign country.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnittany View Post
Agreed... Here in NC during the summer you can't do anything outside all day. You sleep with the windows shut, and the air running at night from late April to October. 6 inches of snow shuts down schools for a week...no joke. The most disturbing thing about this state is they actually like college basketball more than college football.
I live for hot weather. I go down to FL in the middle of July and people call me crazy but I loooove the heat! And the shutting down of the basically the entire city when you get any sort of snow accumulation makes me laugh and I know I'll get a kick out of it if I ever move down there.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
At least in the south you get the nicer weather
Well, for half the year maybe. It's nicer there from November through April, Nicer here May through October. I know a lot of people just don't like having to deal with cold weather period; but personally I prefer being able to be outside more during the summer like you get here. Most days in summer in NC it's just too damn hot to do anything but go to the pool...and oftentimes by late July/early August the pools won't even be cold/refreshing anymore. I prefer being able to have summer temps in the low 80's than having mid winter temps in the 40's/50s.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,593 times
I live car-free in Rochester, ride my bike the whole year, usually resort to the bus for three months, max., to get to my job, live in the South Wedge area, and love living in Rochester, you'll find that this is a city of villages, I live an urban-village lifestyle, shopping, worshiping socializing locally, I've heard there are suburbs and malls somewhere outside of the city, I haven't seen either in years, oh, when taking the train out of town, AMTRAK traverses the eastern neighborhoods. You probably already know that culturally the city's resources are that of a much larger town. Bus service tries but lacks, despite an ambitious and talented CEO at the helm. Mostly the buses are used by the urban poor, more women than men. I like taking the bus, no one has ever bothered me, quite the opposite, most are friendly and there's usually the buzz of friendly conversation. Great way to read a book. There's something to be said about a mid-sized city like Rochester. We have many of the amenities of a mega-city without the hassles. As a car-free person I find everything is convenient. Because it has always been very affluent, you'll find many beautiful old homes all over the city with all the wonderful old architectural features - you can snatch them up for less than 200 grand. If you're looking for an affordable place to live with an urban culture being enriched by young people you'll like it here- I came here thirty-two years ago as a college student and sort of forgot to leave- jobs were plentiful and all the festivals lured me to stay, just a little bit longer!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 PM

10 posts, read 18,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
I always hear people say that Rochester is bad but how bad is it. When I saw bad, are we talking about Newark, New Jersey bad or Detroit bad?
If you like snow by the foot, lower than average wages, and smoking crack then Rochester is great. Seriously- you can buy crack on many street corners in the expansive Rochester ghetto, and your car stereo will just leap right out of your dash if you park in those same areas.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:52 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,323,576 times
Most people who move away from Rochester are back within 5 years. I think ill leave it at that.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:51 PM

5,695 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Most people who move away from Rochester are back within 5 years. I think ill leave it at that.
I've noticed the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area