Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 PM

17 posts, read 72,339 times

Advertisements

my wife and I were traveling down to myrtle beach for our honeymoon last week and she got pulled over

the PA trooper used his vision to determine she was going 78 in a 55

first off, she wasnt going that fast as two cars blew by her but regardless

A. How can he determine 78?

B. Is it worth fighting it? About a 5 hr drive

C. NYS DMV says out of state violations dont get NYS point but will it affect her in anyway insurance wise?

To fight or not to fight lol that is the question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 06:48 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,240 times
I'm not an attorney, but I am pretty sure that courts accept that police are trained to assess speed. I'm not sure it is worth going down to fight, unless you have good knowledge that they will plea it down to a parking ticket or some other kind of non-moving violation. I'd research the difference in fines between 23 mph over the speed limit and what you'd reasonably expect it to be plea-bargained to (5 mph over? disobeying traffic device?) and decide from there.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 AM

I am almost positive it was the car blowing by us, but I guess can't proove that. Since it it out of state and NYS says out of state will not hit in NYS does that mean it will hit INS?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:43 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtas View Post
I am almost positive it was the car blowing by us, but I guess can't proove that. Since it it out of state and NYS says out of state will not hit in NYS does that mean it will hit INS?
Again, I am not an insurance agent, but I did get a speeding ticket before and it didn't affect my insurance. Is it the same if you have 3 or 4 speeding tickets? I don't know.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,783 times
I've had out of state speeding tickets before & it will show up on your insurance, maybe not until the next time you renew but they will eventually know. If it is your only violation in the last 3 years (or so) it shouldn't be a big deal (though some companies frown on anything 20+ MPH over the limit & may raise your rates, even if it is your only offense).

Did they give you a ticket with a fine amount already attached to it or do you have to plead & then a magistrate will set the fine (like in NY)? If they do it the same as NY then you might be able to plead to a lessor charge (usually lower MPH over the limit), if not then you will pretty much have to either pay it or fight it.

Last edited by jblake78728; 10-15-2009 at 11:43 AM..

Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 AM

they want you to pay the fine as collateral either way first lol

Old 10-15-2009, 11:46 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtas View Post
they want you to pay the fine as collateral either way first lol
What a joke.

If its less than say $250 I think I'd be inclined to just go ahead & pay it. If your driving record is pretty clean than it really shouldn't affect your insurance & it will likely cost you over $250 to fight it (by the time you make a few trips down, lost time at work, hiring an attorney, etc). Really the only chance you have of getting it thrown out is if the officer doesn't show up for the hearing cause its basically his word vs yours.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:13 PM

I have no problem pleaing it down but dont wanna drive down there hoping they can work something out over the phone

Old 10-16-2009, 12:56 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,040 times
I have had out of state speeding tickets before.

One in PA, two in NC. Some states, like NC/NY do not report traffic violations to each other. So even though I have would have points in NC, NY does not know about them. From what they said, the only time they will report the violation is in the case of a DWI.

In all cases I was speeding. The PA cop was nice and gave me a parking ticket and I mailed it in. So no harm done to my insurance and I still had a NC license at the time anyway. For NC, I did not feel like driving all the way back down, so I hired a lawyer to take care of it. They reduced the ticket, I paid the fine and since the two states don't report to each other, no points in NY.

If the town court is close enough to drive to in PA, I would plead not guilty to see if they will reduce the ticket. I don't know exactly how things work in that state, but in NY ***ALWAYS*** plead NOT guilty.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,083 times
Default Speed violation ticket -22mph

Even I got the ticket for 57mph on 35mph zone. Can I say in court that I always use cruise-control and set between 40-45mph but there is no way it is 57mph. Below is conversation between me and cop:
Cop: may I see your license and registration?
Me: I gave him and he asked my first name and the default speed limit which I answered 35mph.
Cop: Do you know why I pulled over?
Me: Not sure
Cop: You have been driving at 57mph.
Me: I'm afraid not Sir. Was driving between 40-45mph.
Cop: do you think your license and registration is valid?
Me: Yes

Then he goes and does check and comes back with ticket asking me to meet in court. He didn't even try to hear my views. How many points it would be on my record and fine? This is my first violation in 2yrs of my driving record and finished DMV assessment course after my license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area