Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:13 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
Wayne county in general has lower taxes once all of them, including school, are added in. Many of my friends have homes in Monroe County and their tax bills are considerably more than mine. They also have the pleasure of a higher crime rate, at least those living any relevant distance closer to the shopping, hospitals and such that you reference.

Having worked in Monroe county for more years than Wayne, I can tell you that there are more jobs available there. If you are concerned with schools, Wayne County's Pal-Mac and Gananda offer some of the best public facilities, although I would not send a child to a public school these days anyway.

Hospitals? Spend a couple of hours in one of Monroe County's emergency waiting rooms some Friday or Saturday evening and then do the same in Wayne County. We don't have as many facilities but I will take what we do have any day over Monroe's.

Yes, we are 315'ers, a bit redneck probably a bit more conservative. We have wonderful access to Lake Ontario including Sodus Bay and Port Bay. Most of our emergency services are staffed by volunteers. That should say something to you other than the obvious tax savings.

There are some nice areas in Monroe county as well, I just don't see the advantage vs the increased tax burden and closer proximity to the hub of crime, Rochester. If I did choose to live there, Webster, Hamlin, Hilton or Spencerport would be my choice.

PM me if you wish. Good luck.
Yeah... but I can get on 390 or 490 and get to anything between 5-20 minutes.

You can't beat that lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Wayne county in general has lower taxes once all of them, including school, are added in. Many of my friends have homes in Monroe County and their tax bills are considerably more than mine. They also have the pleasure of a higher crime rate, at least those living any relevant distance closer to the shopping, hospitals and such that you reference.

Having worked in Monroe county for more years than Wayne, I can tell you that there are more jobs available there. If you are concerned with schools, Wayne County's Pal-Mac and Gananda offer some of the best public facilities, although I would not send a child to a public school these days anyway.

The Brighton and Pittsford school districts are always considered among the best in the nation. Greece Central and Gates-Chili are also good. West Irondequoit, also good. Penfield, Fairport, also good. Rush-Henrietta, also good.

Moderator cut: argumentative

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-16-2009 at 05:33 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 04:20 AM

And Gananda is the ONLY school district in Wayne County I would consider on par with the rest of NYS. Bayrat is severely sheltered.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:49 AM

504 posts, read 1,493,113 times
Quote:
There are some nice areas in Monroe county as well, I just don't see the advantage vs the increased tax burden and closer proximity to the hub of crime, Rochester. If I did choose to live there, Webster, Hamlin, Hilton or Spencerport would be my choice.
The taxes aren't actually cheaper across the board in Wayne County than in Monroe. And do you really think you'd be exposed to any of the crime of Rochester if you lived in a part of Monroe County like Hilton?

Old 11-15-2009, 05:34 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,273 times
^I'm not sure about the crime statistics either. My wife grew up in Palmyra. Although there are not alot of violent crimes, drugs are a big problem. Isolated, and not alot to do. They have had numerous drug busts in the past six months, alot for a population that size.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:21 PM

99 posts, read 288,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
And Gananda is the ONLY school district in Wayne County I would consider on par with the rest of NYS. Bayrat is severely sheltered.
That is almost funny, I probably have more mileage in and around the area than any three people on this thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The Brighton and Pittsford school districts are always considered among the best in the nation. Greece Central and Gates-Chili are also good. West Irondequoit, also good. Penfield, Fairport, also good. Rush-Henrietta, also good.

Moderator cut: argumentative
Please read my post (or any others for that matter) prior to criticizing it.

I did not say that the ones you listed were BAD school districts, what I did was list the ones I felt were the better public schools in Wayne County. I have no idea where you get this "abstinence-only" quote from either, except to believe that you are implying we are too Christian in this area.

I have no use for offensive, unhelpful posts that serve no purpose other than to incite an argument.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-16-2009 at 05:34 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
The taxes aren't actually cheaper across the board in Wayne County than in Monroe. And do you really think you'd be exposed to any of the crime of Rochester if you lived in a part of Monroe County like Hilton?

Again, please read my post before you critisize me. What I said is

"They also have the pleasure of a higher crime rate, at least those living any relevant distance closer to the shopping, hospitals and such that you reference."

Meaning, if you live that close to these facilities, you are in a more congested and higher crime area. No, I don't believe Hilton is crime ridden and if you actually read my post you would see that I recommended that town.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:36 PM

One more thing about the schools, again referencing what I actually stated and not what is being inferred.

I would not send a child to public school these days, period. That is not to say one in Monroe is worse than one in Wayne. Some are and some are not. What that MEANS is what it SAYS!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
^I'm not sure about the crime statistics either. My wife grew up in Palmyra. Although there are not alot of violent crimes, drugs are a big problem. Isolated, and not alot to do. They have had numerous drug busts in the past six months, alot for a population that size.
There was a large bust in the general area recently, small time traffickers the you find under rocks in most communities. Problem is, the system is a revolving door, every one was back on the street by the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area