Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 08:57 PM

73 posts, read 143,494 times

Advertisements

Rochester is not the right town for multiracial. There's lots of racism here.Be careful.
Brighton, you don't want to live there it's a jewish neighborhood, very close minded people.
Southwedge, Irondequoit,Grece are better choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 10:20 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami1331 View Post
Rochester is not the right town for multiracial. There's lots of racism here.Be careful.
Brighton, you don't want to live there it's a jewish neighborhood, very close minded people.
Brighton has more than just Jewish people and Rochester is not that bad. What is your standard for showing what a lot of racism is? Don't get me wrong, as I'm sure there is some, but I wouldn't want to exaggerate either.

Also, I don't think Henrietta would be bad either.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:57 AM

205 posts, read 456,368 times
Yes. I would also, respectfully, disagree with the "Rochester has lots of racism." While not perfect, have you been to the south? Having moved up here from further south, I can say it's not as bad.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:58 PM

87 posts, read 106,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami1331 View Post

Dont agree with the Brighton statement, but yes, Ive know many many people who left the Roc due to the ignorance and intolerance. The denial is a primary reason progressive change is so hard to achieve.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:28 AM

200 posts, read 604,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad231 View Post
Dont agree with the Brighton statement, but yes, Ive know many many people who left the Roc due to the ignorance and intolerance. The denial is a primary reason progressive change is so hard to achieve.
Tolerance is such a funny word. People always want "tolerance". When you think about it, you "tolerate" the idiot at your job, that annoying spouse of a friend, the ineptitude of that kid at the deli that screwed up your lunch order. I hope we are actually striving for something greater - embracing someones differences, and not just allowing, but encouraging who they are. A little pie in the sky, I know. That being said, Rochester IS tolerant, but not necessarily embracing.
To be literally tolerant, you must also tolerate the intolerant.
Progress is also a funny word. There are many different forms of progress, and there are different areas where progress can take place. For example, with a rather large and accepted LGBT community (more than twice that of most cities its size), Rochester can be considered progressive on that front, but, oddly, in matters of race, much of the Rochester area is stuck with the 80's buddy-cop movie syndrome (the black guy is present, but he's always the sidekick, the white cops always make unwittingly ignorant statements), where the racism may not be overt, but it IS there. There is definitely room for improvement, but the ROC is not 1921 Mississippi or Alabama.
Let me know if I am far off base.

Last edited by aaron4040; 12-26-2009 at 07:54 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
Tolerance is such a funny word. People always want "tolerance". When you think about it, you "tolerate" the idiot at your job, that annoying spouse of a friend, the ineptitude of that kid at the deli that screwed up your lunch order. I hope we are actually striving for something greater - embracing someones differences, and not just allowing, but encouraging who they are. A little pie in the sky, I know. That being said, Rochester IS tolerant, but not necessarily embracing.
Progress is also a funny word. There are many different forms of progress, and there are different areas where progress can take place. For example, with a rather large and accepted LGBT community (more than twice that of most cities its size), Rochester can be considered progressive on that front, but, oddly, in matters of race, much of the Rochester area is stuck with the 80's buddy-cop movie syndrome (the black guy is present, but he's always the sidekick, the white cops always make unwittingly ignorant statements), where the racism may not be overt, but it IS there. There is definitely room for improvement, but the ROC is not 1921 Mississippi or Alabama.
That sounds more honest and on point. I will also say that Rochester has a relatively "strong" deaf community. So, considering some things, Rochester is better than many, if not most.

Also, I notice that the Rochester area, while having areas of poverty that are in communities with mostly people of color, you also have quite a few suburban areas with relatively decent sized Black percentages. Walk the halls of high schools like Gates-Chili, Rush-Henrietta, Eastridge and the Greece HS's and you will see what I'm talking. Those aren't schools involved in the Urban-Suburban program either, like Brighton and Irondequoit, which also have their share of Black families as well. So, you at least have some balance in that regard.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post

I have found that for Blacks and Hispanics the south is much more accommodating than Rochester. Blacks in the south have a much stronger and vibrant upper middle class community than in Rochester. The racists in the south dont pretend they are not racists as is the norm in Rochester Buffalo and Syracuse. If it were not for balanced workforce initiatives neither Xerox or Kodak would have the few professional class Blacks that they have now. And even though the percentage of professional class Blacks and Hispanics dont reflect their populaiton in the local community, many of the local White racists whine and complain that they have such postitions as if all those jobs should be reserved for Whites only.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That sounds more honest and on point. I will also say that Rochester has a relatively "strong" deaf community. So, considering some things, Rochester is better than many, if not most.

Also, I notice that the Rochester area, while having areas of poverty that are in communities with mostly people of color, you also have quite a few suburban areas with relatively decent sized Black percentages. Walk the halls of high schools like Gates-Chili, Rush-Henrietta, Eastridge and the Greece HS's and you will see what I'm talking. Those aren't schools involved in the Urban-Suburban program either, like Brighton and Irondequoit, which also have their share of Black families as well. So, you at least have some balance in that regard.

To a western NYer 3 - 5% Blacks is a lot in the burbs. Many Whites in Irondequoit, Gate and Chili are not at all happy that Blacks and Hispanics are moving in and are quite vocal about it as well. Most of the Rochester area burbs are 80- 90% White, hardly diverse.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
To a western NYer 3 - 5% Blacks is a lot in the burbs. Many Whites in Irondequoit, Gate and Chili are not at all happy that Blacks and Hispanics are moving in and are quite vocal about it as well. Most of the Rochester area burbs are 80- 90% White, hardly diverse.
I believe that some of the areas I mentioned are more than 5% Black and I was really talking about the school, which are more "diverse" than the communities themselves. I know that according to the 2000 census that Gates was around 7% Black, Chili around 6% and Henrietta around 7-8%. I'm sure it is at least the same, if not more now.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-26-2009 at 05:25 PM..

Old 12-26-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I have found that for Blacks and Hispanics the south is much more accommodating than Rochester. Blacks in the south have a much stronger and vibrant upper middle class community than in Rochester. The racists in the south dont pretend they are not racists as is the norm in Rochester Buffalo and Syracuse. If it were not for balanced workforce initiatives neither Xerox or Kodak would have the few professional class Blacks that they have now. And even though the percentage of professional class Blacks and Hispanics dont reflect their populaiton in the local community, many of the local White racists whine and complain that they have such postitions as if all those jobs should be reserved for Whites only.
I think you are forgetting that the South had separate institutions for Blacks. So, that allowed them to get an education in spite of segregation by law. Then, you have to keep in mind that many of the Black people in the South today were born, raised and got an education in the Northeast, West and Midwest and have returned to where their families came from. So, it is a different dynamic in comparing Blacks in different regions.

Also, as far as the South, Cubans are the only Hispanic group doing well there. You also have to keep in mind that most of the Cubans in Florida are White Cubans that came from relatively affluent families in Cuba to begin with.

Again, no one said that the Rochester area is perfect and there is some truth to what you are saying, but I think things have been exaggerated a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area